+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Improved Blazing Strike bugged?

Rift Disciple

Default Improved Blazing Strike bugged?

http://rift.zam.com/en/ability/50000...Blazing-Strike

I was comparing some dmgs today and noticed that my Blazing Strike only crit 3 out of 20 times. My base crit was around 18% so shouldn't it be somewhere near 30%. So I decided to test it out.

Bashed the combat dummies for a while with Blazing Stike and then Deadly Strike, just 1 pointers to see if they'd crit and at what rate. Had no buffs and used Keen Strike as a combo builder.

Control group, Deadly Strike.
    34 crits from 151, 22.51%

Blazing Strike
    30 crits from 150, 20%

So Blazing Strike crit 10% less then the control. To me that means the talent is broken in two ways; 1 It is multiplicative instead of additional and 2 it is negative instead of positive.

I'd like to invite devs and other players to share thier experiences with this talent.

I've often thought that it doesn't crit as much as it should, but have not conducted any quantitative analysis on it. Good work!

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Rage09 View Post
    http://rift.zam.com/en/ability/50000...Blazing-Strike

I was comparing some dmgs today and noticed that my Blazing Strike only crit 3 out of 20 times. My base crit was around 18% so shouldn't it be somewhere near 30%. So I decided to test it out.

Bashed the combat dummies for a while with Blazing Stike and then Deadly Strike, just 1 pointers to see if they'd crit and at what rate. Had no buffs and used Keen Strike as a combo builder.

Blazing Strike
    30 crits from 150, 20%

So Blazing Strike crit 10% less then the control. To me that means the talent is broken in two ways; 1 It is multiplicative instead of additional and 2 it is negative instead of positive.

I'd like to invite devs and other players to share thier experiences with this talent.
    I had a feeling this wasnt working properly... great job!

Quote Originally Posted by Rage09 View Post

Blazing Strike
    30 crits from 150, 20%

with only 150 hits its safe to say that it just does not work at all.
    those 2.5% are just deviation i suppose.

Parsed a few DPS-builds yesterday and noticed something:

Out of the two parses i checked, i once had a critrate of 38% out of 40 Blazing Strikes (normal crit rating was about 37%).

With the second build i had a critrating of 58% out of 35 Blazing Strikes with 43% basecritchance.

It could be that 35 and 40 are way too low to show anything, but it sure seems wierd, i'll test today again.

Blazing makes up for about 1/3 of my total damage, so with 10% crit not working, i would lose quite a bit DPS.

RIFT Fan Site Operator Dunharrow's Avatar

I wonder if it has to do with Lingering Flame recasting Flame Spike and messing with the crit chance. Anyone tried it without Lingering Flame?

Another good spot - I'd can't help do a test as I'm not 50 and there's no L40 Dummies grrrr.

Incidentally in the OP's sample his conclusion that the talent is negative is very spurious: the crit rate is the same, the difference of 2.5% looks well within the standard deviation to me.

Trion have confirmed that buffs and debuffs are additive so for the talent to work negatively it would be a true -10% crit rate and thus you would see Blazing Strike critting only 10% of the time not 20%.

In short: the talent probably just does not work at all or as others suggested is bugging out due to interaction with other talents. I think the former is the most likely.

Shield of Telara

a test sample of anything less then 100 will have outliers, you miles well do it twice and say its not working
    Last edited by Jekyll03; 03-18-2011 at 04:09 AM.

+ Reply to Thread