+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26

Thread: What is the point of the rogue class?

  1. #1
    Plane Touched Dhboy123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    288

    Default What is the point of the rogue class?

    At this moment in time i don't see any reason for somebody to roll a rogue unless they are concentrating on stealing source stones at port scion.

    Melee DPS (assassin, Nightblade, bladedancer) is beaten by warriors who have more armour, survivability and CC. They also do more DPS with their AOE attacks then rogues do with their single attacks.
    Range DPS (Marksman, Ranger) is beaten by mages who have more CC.

    Bards are outhealed by Clerics easily and are only really used as a utility class.

    Saboteur is most likely the most boring class i have ever played in my 7 years of MMORPG's and will most likely be nerfed even though damage wise its not great as it only does burst damage.

    I just really can not find a reason to keep on playing rogue with the state of them at the moment. When i first started playing this game i thought rogue would be the typical large DPS class as it sacrifices armor for damage output, the same as mages (Glass cannons) but i find it rather ridiculous that warriors who have much higher armor total's are able to out DPS us not only in single damage attacks but actually out damage our single DPS in AOE DPS...

    Call me a QQ'er, whiner, idiot, or tell me that i can not play my class properly, but the amount of threads and the voices of hundreds in game are evidence that this class is severely broken at the moment and something needs to be done soon.

    INb4 troll replies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaalith View Post
    Hello rogues, look at your dps. Now back to mine, now back at your dps, now back to mine.
    Sadly it isn't like mine. But if you stopped playing a broken class and rerolled as a mage yours could feel like mine.
    Look down, back up. Where are you? You're respawning. Everything is possible when you're a bright wizard. I'm on a horse.

  2. #2
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Every other class forum has posts just like this. The grass is greener and all that.

    I'd just like to make a suggestion:
    How about play it because you enjoy it? I know, I know. It sounds crazy. Doing something in a game because its fun? It sounds ludicrous but hear me out. Maybe Bards aren't meant to out-heal clerics. Maybe, just maybe, the idea of support classes is actually pretty awesome. Maybe the satisfaction of knowing you've really helped your group can outweigh the desire to do amazing DPS. Maybe the playstyle of a Nightblade is more fun for you than a Champion. Maybe... just maybe... you don't absolutely have to be Mr. AmazingMcawesomesaucedps at the very top of the charts to be valuable as a raid member.

  3. #3
    Rift Disciple Larloch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dhboy123 View Post
    bards are outhealed by clerics easily and are only really used as a utility class.
    how dare you, sir?!

  4. #4
    Plane Touched Dhboy123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    288

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maggie View Post
    Every other class forum has posts just like this. The grass is greener and all that.

    I'd just like to make a suggestion:
    How about play it because you enjoy it? I know, I know. It sounds crazy. Doing something in a game because its fun? It sounds ludicrous but hear me out. Maybe Bards aren't meant to out-heal clerics. Maybe, just maybe, the idea of support classes is actually pretty awesome. Maybe the satisfaction of knowing you've really helped your group can outweigh the desire to do amazing DPS. Maybe the playstyle of a Nightblade is more fun for you than a Champion. Maybe... just maybe... you don't absolutely have to be Mr. AmazingMcawesomesaucedps at the very top of the charts to be valuable as a raid member.

    Maybe just maybe I enjoy games that are balanced.. I was only comparing bard to a cleric as for the sole purpose of comparison's i know its a utility class. As for your idea of enjoying the play-style you really should have read my note on the saboteur, because im not playing it due to the boring play-style.

    Maybe just maybe i will enjoy myself more when i can actively participate in warfronts and open world PvP as a class i wanted to play and actually challenge other classes in 1 vs 1 fights because at the moment this is not possible with any soul that rogues have.

    Maybe just maybe you should have read my thread a bit more clearly before attempting a reply.
    Last edited by Dhboy123; 03-17-2011 at 01:12 AM. Reason: Spelling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaalith View Post
    Hello rogues, look at your dps. Now back to mine, now back at your dps, now back to mine.
    Sadly it isn't like mine. But if you stopped playing a broken class and rerolled as a mage yours could feel like mine.
    Look down, back up. Where are you? You're respawning. Everything is possible when you're a bright wizard. I'm on a horse.

  5. #5
    Plane Touched Dhboy123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    288

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Larloch View Post
    how dare you, sir?!
    Bad comparison i know, can't even go back to edit it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaalith View Post
    Hello rogues, look at your dps. Now back to mine, now back at your dps, now back to mine.
    Sadly it isn't like mine. But if you stopped playing a broken class and rerolled as a mage yours could feel like mine.
    Look down, back up. Where are you? You're respawning. Everything is possible when you're a bright wizard. I'm on a horse.

  6. #6
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    61

    Default

    I agree with you to a point.

    Warriors with DPS specs deal too much damage; warriors are NOT supposed to be able to DPS like rogue while beeing a tough as a warrior.

    Rogues are generally more squishy, but have the option for ranged attacks and i think THAT is what people need to realise.

    in PVE damage numbers dont matter as long as the boss dies.

    in PVP, the hierarchy needs to uphold to maintain balance. This is currently not the case. However, people do forget that they have multiple soul builds available. Is your assassin/riftstalker not working? perhaps switch to bladedancer/nightblade for more defensive option? or run around with the FotM saboteur and 1 hit people with blast charge.

    I suspect that Trion is gathering a lot of information from everyone playing and in a month or so, we should see the first attempt at true balance (i hope). Next patch might hold some nerfs to remove the imbaness of some souls/classes, but true balance (which is hard or impossible to obtain) is a long process.

    just stick with it.
    Bloodthorne
    eXile
    www.eXile-corp.com
    "The cycle of Life and Death continues... We will live... They will die!"

  7. #7
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    54

    Default

    You really, honestly believe that Champion/Beastmaster's have more PvE survivability than most rogue DPS builds? That having more armor helps them survive in PvE at all?

    DPS numbers might need to be tuned a bit, and PvP certain does... but I think you either are willfully ignorant about the survivability of DPS Warriors or just trolling. They have no real defensive cooldowns or self heals, they have to be in melee to do anything, and having a bit more armor or HP doesn't help nearly as much as a solid survivability cooldown or simply being at range.

  8. #8
    Champion of Telara
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dhboy123 View Post
    At this moment in time i don't see any reason for somebody to roll a rogue unless they are concentrating on stealing source stones at port scion.

    Melee DPS (assassin, Nightblade, bladedancer) is beaten by warriors who have more armour, survivability and CC. They also do more DPS with their AOE attacks then rogues do with their single attacks.
    Range DPS (Marksman, Ranger) is beaten by mages who have more CC.

    Bards are outhealed by Clerics easily and are only really used as a utility class.

    Saboteur is most likely the most boring class i have ever played in my 7 years of MMORPG's and will most likely be nerfed even though damage wise its not great as it only does burst damage.

    I just really can not find a reason to keep on playing rogue with the state of them at the moment. When i first started playing this game i thought rogue would be the typical large DPS class as it sacrifices armor for damage output, the same as mages (Glass cannons) but i find it rather ridiculous that warriors who have much higher armor total's are able to out DPS us not only in single damage attacks but actually out damage our single DPS in AOE DPS...

    Call me a QQ'er, whiner, idiot, or tell me that i can not play my class properly, but the amount of threads and the voices of hundreds in game are evidence that this class is severely broken at the moment and something needs to be done soon.

    INb4 troll replies.
    You are WRONG. sorry.

    Honestly though if you cant play well enough to be effective with a rogue you should play something else. No reason to keep playing a bad rogue and be a burden on your team. If you need to play the most easymode class maybe try a champion they dont seem very hard.

    There is no reason to buff rogues and make me even more OP.

  9. #9
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Maybe just maybe I enjoy games that are balanced.. I was only comparing bard to a cleric as for the sole purpose of comparison's i know its a utility class. As for your idea of enjoying the play-style you really should have read my note on the saboteur, because im not playing it due to the boring play-style.

    Maybe just maybe i will enjoy myself more when i can actively participate in warfronts and open world PvP as a class i wanted to play and actually challenge other classes in 1 vs 1 fights because at the moment this is not possible with any soul that rogues have.

    Maybe just maybe you should have read my thread a bit more clearly before attempting a reply.
    I read it quite clearly. You're asking why anyone would play a rogue and I gave you a response. It wasn't the response you wanted so now you're defensive. If you don't want answers to a question then don't ask it. I understand you are probably expecting a bunch of people to come in and agree with you on how broken the calling is and likely people will, but some of us simply do not care if we can destroy every warrior in 1v1 duels right now because class balance changes over time and what's considered underpowered now very well may be extremely powerful later. I tend to think that playstyle is more important than fleeting balance situations that will likely change in a couple months or so. By all means, go roll a different class and then do it again and again when the balance pendulum swings back and forth. There's nothing wrong with that and there's also nothing wrong with playing the class you enjoy even if you feel a bit underpowered at times. There's also nothing wrong with enjoying the challenge of adjusting strategy around those shortcomings.

    tl;dr: There's little point in getting upset over temporary conditions like 1v1 pvp class balance and playing the class you enjoy regardless of said conditions is a much less stressful approach.

  10. #10
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    480

    Default

    If it is true, as i do not have any informatin beside the many post claiming so, that warrior DPS builds can out DPS a Rogue DPS build then yes, this is not right and needs to be adjusted. This only leaves rogues with CC abilites that mages can do at least equally as well. Pointless by no meens, but if the afformentioned claims are true then we are highly underminded at the moment.

  11. #11
    Plane Touched Dhboy123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    288

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dahrken View Post
    You are WRONG. sorry.

    Honestly though if you cant play well enough to be effective with a rogue you should play something else. No reason to keep playing a bad rogue and be a burden on your team. If you need to play the most easymode class maybe try a champion they dont seem very hard.

    There is no reason to buff rogues and make me even more OP.

    Obvious troll is obvious, clearly didn't read the bottom of my post did you kiddo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaalith View Post
    Hello rogues, look at your dps. Now back to mine, now back at your dps, now back to mine.
    Sadly it isn't like mine. But if you stopped playing a broken class and rerolled as a mage yours could feel like mine.
    Look down, back up. Where are you? You're respawning. Everything is possible when you're a bright wizard. I'm on a horse.

  12. #12
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    169

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dhboy123 View Post
    Call me a QQ'er, whiner, idiot, or tell me that i can not play my class properly
    You damn QQ'er, Whiner, Idiot who cant play his class properly..

    You say A B & C sucks yet you dont provide any constructive feedback, numbers and other factual statements that would support your statement about everything about the rogue sucking.
    I thoroughly disagree with you and I am willing to make a very long constructive post about it once I get home, I'm at work sadly.

  13. #13
    Plane Touched Dhboy123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    288

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaluro View Post
    You damn QQ'er, Whiner, Idiot who cant play his class properly..

    You say A B & C sucks yet you dont provide any constructive feedback, numbers and other factual statements that would support your statement about everything about the rogue sucking.
    I thoroughly disagree with you and I am willing to make a very long constructive post about it once I get home, I'm at work sadly.
    If you played a rogue you will know where im coming from.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaalith View Post
    Hello rogues, look at your dps. Now back to mine, now back at your dps, now back to mine.
    Sadly it isn't like mine. But if you stopped playing a broken class and rerolled as a mage yours could feel like mine.
    Look down, back up. Where are you? You're respawning. Everything is possible when you're a bright wizard. I'm on a horse.

  14. #14
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    169

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dhboy123 View Post
    If you played a rogue you will know where im coming from.
    Played more than one, made a forced switch to Defiant, having to leave my guardian out in the cold !
    Also bards have raidwide healing, they just suck at bursthealing. The total numbers they put out are quite significant and interesting.

  15. #15
    Telaran
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dhboy123 View Post
    Bards are outhealed by Clerics easily and are only really used as a utility class.
    i stopped reading ... L2P is my answer to all your problems
    I usually end up with DOUBLE the healing done of the second in line

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts