+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Oops. Made a mistake in my marksmen.

Telaran

Default Oops. Made a mistake in my marksmen.

So I was originally planning marksmen/ranger/assassin for fun but I accidently got rift for my third. Not a big deal as the blink may be useful in both pvp/pve. So I ended up being MM/ranger/Rift

Hoping someone here will help me with some questions

1. Does piercing shot+exposure(ranger)+penetrating shots(marksmen) stack?

2.My friend wants me to get rain of arrows for dungeons. Will it be useful?

3.What skills should I be aiming for?

Thanks for answers/responses.

Also, are MM in pvp that bad? I don't deal damage to clerics/warriors at most times but I seem to murder rogues.
    I will want to roll a different role for maybe a better pve or a pure pvp. What 3 subclasses may work? I would like to avoid sab if possible but from the sound of it, it's the only decent class on range rogues?
    Last edited by ErrorFindingID; 03-17-2011 at 12:01 AM.

You made a mistake when you picked marksman for pvp. :P

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Chomag View Post
    Not really. They have that cooldown reset and the 100% crit thing. With some serious practice and preperation, MM can drop someone very fast every 2 mins.

Soulwalker

1. Does piercing shot+exposure(ranger)+penetrating shots(marksmen) stack?
    I believe they do. I'm not 100% certain but I'm pretty sure.

2.My friend wants me to get rain of arrows for dungeons. Will it be useful?
    Its useful for getting through trash pulls faster and ultimately helping the dungeon go smoother. Its worth taking imo.

3.What skills should I be aiming for?
    Swap out Riftstalker for Assassin and put at least 8 points in so you can get Lethal Poison. It works on ranged attacks and provides a nice +5% crit chance. Really what you get in Ranger/MM depends on what you want to do. If you want PvE focus then you can skip some of the survivability and escape talents and pick up as many damage-increasers as possible. If you want to PvP then boost your survivability a bit.

MM and Ranger have a different feel to the rotation when it comes to their shots. Try each and see which one you like better.

Also, are MM in pvp that bad? I don't deal damage to clerics/warriors at most times but I seem to murder rogues.
    I will want to roll a different role for maybe a better pve or a pure pvp. What 3 subclasses may work? I would like to avoid sab if possible but from the sound of it, it's the only decent class on range rogues?
    There are souls that will be easier to pvp with and there will be ones that are harder. More often than not, when people complain about a soul not being viable for PvP the real problem lies between the keyboard and the chair. If you like the playstyle of a soul you should try to learn to adapt it for a PvP environment. Someone stunlocks you? Instead of crying for nerfs try to figure out how you can avoid that in the future using the tools you already have available as a rogue and a marksman. The goal of PvP is to have fun and piece together strategy. Ultimately you can choose to play the soul you like or you can choose what people claim is OP at the moment. Neither is an inherently bad choice, but each has their pros and cons.
    Last edited by Maggie; 03-17-2011 at 12:56 AM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Obsession View Post
    Not really. They have that cooldown reset and the 100% crit thing. With some serious practice and preperation, MM can drop someone very fast every 2 mins.
    Two minutes is a VERY long time in PVP... If you're solo you want to be dropping someone in under 30 seconds, ideally under 20, before their friends show up. In a group though, a MM can add a lot of DPS pressure, even moreso if the entire team is mobile. Couple that with blinds/roots/snares from the assassin tree and you can be pretty well off.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by ErrorFindingID View Post
    So I was originally planning marksmen/ranger/assassin for fun but I accidently got rift for my third.
    You know you can pick up all the souls and easily swap them at any time, right?
    Last edited by iZoopy; 03-17-2011 at 06:49 AM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Chomag View Post
    thanks for your worthless evaluation!!!!

How about some facts, stats, links to forum discussions, experiences ANYTHING to backup your statement??

Im sure the original poster will appreciate it.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by iZoopy View Post
    You know you can pick up all the souls and easily swap them at any time, right?
    Once you pick the 3 souls for a specific role, I am not aware of a way to change them. You can purchase another role and then choose any of your known souls for that 2nd role, but the initial role can not have its souls switched.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Harmful Effect View Post
    Once you pick the 3 souls for a specific role, I am not aware of a way to change them. You can purchase another role and then choose any of your known souls for that 2nd role, but the initial role can not have its souls switched.
    If you haven't put points into the soul, just click on the soul icon in the soul tree and you can swap it with any other available soul.

If you have put points into the soul, you have to talk to the rogue trainer to reset your souls. This will only reset the souls on your currently active role. You can then swap out any of the souls that you want.

Telaran

thanks for the response. MM only being decent every 2 minutes in pvp is quite harsh.

I'm also new to the game. "Role" is basically another spec where I can pick another 3 sub souls, right?

What are the 3 souls for pvp/pve?

Telaran

I am trying to make Marksmen work for casual, world pvp. I'm only lvl 28 and from a questing and leveling point of view it is fine. Others are probably faster for sure, but it works. I also mixed in riftstalker and bladedancer. No idea why but probably because I was ignorant of the game - I didn't play in any beta's.

I have riftstalker with no points into it at the moment but I like the initial skills and teleport.

For world pvp and probably at 50 I will figure out how to swap souls out and focus more on Marksmen and Assassin souls with whatever else. Why? I think a stealth with range would be fun and ideal for solo play. Rigth now when I'm out doing world pvp I'm sort of visible and need to really hide behind trees and stuff, hit them, and then sprint out somewhere else. Its fun, and sort of like playing Robin Hood I guess.

But I think stealth is needed and something I'd work in. Other than that Marksmen seems to require a lot of movement. You stay stationary and melee hits you game is over. You have to always move and kite people. Maybe it is just me, but even in WF I need to pick a target, hit them, then move quickly. And if they turn and see me, then it is a constant move, hit, run, and just wear them down. If they bring friends, then I flee...

+ Reply to Thread