+ Reply to Thread

Thread: N00b q's - Bard and other class skill combinations -- do they work?

Soulwalker

Default N00b q's - Bard and other class skill combinations -- do they work?

I rolled my second character, my first Guardian, and chose the Bard soul as my initial soul. I am always fascinated with classes like the Bard that are non-traditional and can bring something new to the same old tank-dps-healer triangle.

As I was selecting my 2nd and 3rd soul, I had many questions about which abilities found in other souls would affect my bard abilities.

My main two attacks with the Bard is, Cadence and Coda of Wrath.

The two other souls I chose were, Riftstalker and Marksman.

Riftstalker is pretty straight forward.

Marksman enhances abilities and I'm not sure if it affects the Bard's abilities.

For instance, Keen Eye. It increased the range of my weapon attacks. Would that affect my Cadence ability? I'm not using a bow, and I don't actually possess a harp ranged weapon, but the attack can be done from range.

The same can be asked of Sharpshooter and Increased Fire Power.

Penetrating Shots?

Master Archer?

I feel the game is a little vague in how certain attacks are described and labeled and I feel worried that I chose the wrong soul because of a false sense of encouragement to improve my abilities, when in reality, they may not affect my bard abilities at all.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Soulwalker

Bard offensive skills are considered non-physical attacks. So to the best of my knowledge none of those talents will change Cadence, Coda or Wrath or Coda of Fury in any way.

Rift Disciple

I'd drop MM and pick up nightblade. bard/riftstalker/nightblade has a lot more abilities that translate well. MM is all about using a bow or gun and bard is all about using life damage. If you want to use a bow for your main damage, then do ranger/MM/bard build. Spec what you use, use what you spec. 8 pts into nightblade makes your cadence better. I use a 26ranger/XXbard/8nightblade build for rifts or soloing and 26ranger/XXmm/13nb for group dps. My group support and pvp spec is XXbard/20sab/8nightblade, end game it will be 30 bard/20 sab/16nb.

So in conclusion ranger and mm use a bow for primary damage, bard is about life damage. Bow damage is considerably higher than bard damage. Of course your giving up damage to heal as a bard. Don't get stuck in the middle trying to do both, spec out one side or the other fully or your doing terrible middle ground damage.

Soulwalker

okay, how about these skills from the Nightblade

Will Blazing Fury affect Cadence?

Will Unstable State affect my bard ability damage?

Will Coup De Grace affect my Coda of Wrath?

Would Unseen Fury affect the damage of Bard abilities?

Quote Originally Posted by MtthwRddl View Post
    okay, how about these skills from the Nightblade

Will Blazing Fury affect Cadence?

Will Unstable State affect my bard ability damage?

Will Coup De Grace affect my Coda of Wrath?

Would Unseen Fury affect the damage of Bard abilities?
    1. Yes. Cadence is a combo point generating ability.
    2. Yes. Every Bard ability is non-physical and will benefit from the damage increase.
    3. Yes. Codas are finishers.
    4. Yes. Again, EVERY Rogue uses Attack Power. It is the most beneficial stat.
    Author of Support Bard Guide and Officer of Nuln Highway Boys

Quote Originally Posted by Langston View Post
    1. Yes. Cadence is a combo point generating ability.
    2. Yes. Every Bard ability is non-physical and will benefit from the damage increase.
    4. Yes. Again, EVERY Rogue uses Attack Power. It is the most beneficial stat.
    All bard abilities are non-physical? I thought maybe because they were based on weapon damage they might have a physical element as well. The reason I question it is because I was considering dropping some points into assassin for Murderous Intent and thought it would help Cadence. Please confirm. Any sources.

I wanted to put a bump here if anybody could answer my question regarding Physical damage and Cadence

Bard abilities are 'interesting'...
    While they are based off of Weapon Damage, they deal life dmg (Cadance deals Wep Dmg plus XX dmg as life dmg(I'm fairly sure that's the tooltip anyway). All of its damage is based of off AP, although I've yet to test if both of its debuffs affect the bard, or if only the physical one does.
    Yes the bards attacks are technically Phys damage, although I know there are some issues with how it's affected by soul talents that increase Phys Dmg.
    Hope this helped in any way, sorry that I didn't really give a straight answer, could only tell you what I know

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Langston View Post
    Just to be sure, coup de graze will also work to increase the heal ammount of restoration?

Think of it this way, if the tooltip and damage is somehow affected by a weapon, it is a physical -attack-, however the damage might be non-physical. Think of physical damage as piercing, slashing, and bludgeoning. Compare to a lot of mage abilities that are spell based where having a weapon equipped is moot, if I remember correctly. Therefore, bard + nightblade synergize well since both do elemental (non-physical) damage.
    Last edited by Larthalalyss; 03-20-2011 at 04:56 AM. Reason: I hate autospell

"Amy Pond, there's something you better understand about me, 'cause it's important and one day your life may depend on it [Smiles] I am definitely a madman with a box."
    - Doctor Who

Rift Disciple

I'm going to have 1 of my souls be a full bard spec at 50. Thiniking 51 bard/10nb/5sab would be the best.
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...b.V.EIdqiqskqz

+ Reply to Thread