+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do rangers/MM have a dead zone?

General of Telara

Default Do rangers/MM have a dead zone?

The only thing that really kept me from trying a Hunter in WoW was the horrible dead zone where you cant attack the mobs because they are too close but they are still beating on you. Does the same thing happen here as well? I have noticed leveling my necro/lock that while my pet can hold agro there are lots of times that I do get jumped. But even with mobs in my face I can still cast spells. What happens when a ranger is fighting a mob and gets and add or two and there are lots of other mobs around you so theres no room to kite? I already have one 50 and there were very few times I was only fighting one mob at a time. Im just wondering how to handle adds If I decide to roll a ranger alt?
    Last edited by thomasmgp; 03-16-2011 at 03:54 PM.

Plane Walker

You can't use ranged attacks in melee range. You can just run backwards or to the side and shoot them though. The best way to handle adds is with a ranger pet tanking.

If you keep your pet's attack on a handy keybind you can get them to round up the mobs pretty handily. I've been able to catch up to 5 mobs with my pet and picked them off one by one, of course if your pet dies they come after you and you could be in trouble so don't forget your pet heals. Once you get Trick Shot, kite + aoe works decently - as long as you pay attention to not picking up MORE mobs hehehe

Plane Walker

No there is no dead zone in the game.

MM has swift shot and one ranged finisher that can be used in melee range. Also MM has one ability that allows all MM attacks to be used at melee range for 15 seconds. MM is also designed to make you fast enough that you will be able to keep 3 meter distance to get off some of the heavier hitting shots.

Ranger does not have any abilities that can be used in melee range but you will always have a soul that gives you melee capabilties or abilites that can be used at all ranges.

Soulwalker

By the time you come out of the newbie/starter zone, you have 3 souls. I can't for the life of me imagine at least one of them not having a melee range skill even with zero points in it.

The pet attack macro is going to become your BFF.
    Ruranak - Cleric - Greybriar - Guardian :: Sacred Haven

ASrock p67 Extreme6 - i7-2600K @ 4.80Ghz O.C. - 8GB XMS3 - 2x HD6970 - Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler
    Antec Lanboy Blue - 80GB SSD

Telaran

I think most of the people replying don't know what you mean by a deadzone...at least that's how it seems from the replies.

I'm not sure if there is a deadzone or not. I'm just switching to ranger from bard and haven't tested it out enough.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by FloydSummerOf68 View Post
    I think most of the people replying don't know what you mean by a deadzone...at least that's how it seems from the replies.

I'm not sure if there is a deadzone or not. I'm just switching to ranger from bard and haven't tested it out enough.
    As far as I know, there is no deadzone: if you can't attack with melee weapons, you can with ranged (as long as melee range is 3 meters and not less).
    Also, MM has a 0 point root ranged attack called Swift Shot that also works in melee range.

Any ability with a range starting at 3m has a deadzone from 0-3m. Some abilities simply give a 30m range, these will work anywhere from 0-30m, and have no deadzone.

the MM skill has a cd

repelling shot + a snare works better most of the time for me, but overall MM is kinda sucky as a solo class at higher lvl
    http://sigcdn.siglaunch.com/sigs/rift/sig.php?sig_id=127292

General of Telara

If I macro /pet attack or whatever it is to make him attack to my main spam skill would that work in keeping my pet holding agro on my current target? Right not I have a 30 necro and its hard trying tokeep my pet holding agro on anything that adds on my fights.

Shield of Telara

there is no dead zone... you can melee in melee range and shoot ranged abilitys at range... a dead zone is a range at which you cannot do either... if you cannot understand that please go back to wow where stupid people are sought after

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll03 View Post
    there is no dead zone... you can melee in melee range and shoot ranged abilitys at range... a dead zone is a range at which you cannot do either... if you cannot understand that please go back to wow where stupid people are sought after
    I don't think they ever played WoW, because if they did, they would know what deadzone was.
    I explained it at page 1, but obviously it's difficult to understand if you haven't played WoW. Difficult because totally stupid, as is WOW.

Quote Originally Posted by thomasmgp View Post
    The only thing that really kept me from trying a Hunter in WoW was the horrible dead zone where you cant attack the mobs because they are too close but they are still beating on you. Does the same thing happen here as well? I have noticed leveling my necro/lock that while my pet can hold agro there are lots of times that I do get jumped. But even with mobs in my face I can still cast spells. What happens when a ranger is fighting a mob and gets and add or two and there are lots of other mobs around you so theres no room to kite? I already have one 50 and there were very few times I was only fighting one mob at a time. Im just wondering how to handle adds If I decide to roll a ranger alt?
    Yes and no. You can use your main ranged combo point builder in melee, yes (quick shot/swift shot ) but not the finisher (head shot/deadeye shot). However, this issue is moot as you can add the finisher from your melee sub-soul to your ranged finisher button like this

Example
    #show deadeye shot
    cast deadeye shot
    cast final blow

While the enemy is at range, it will always use deadeye shot. if the enemy is in melee and deadeye shot can't be used, it will use final blow. I love Rift's macros. Unlike the Blizzard's fail macros, these one actually do indeed make things easier.
    Last edited by Chomag; 03-18-2011 at 02:11 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast