+ Reply to Thread

Thread: So Confused..Weapons Speeds

Rift Disciple

Default So Confused..Weapons Speeds

I know this has been asked here before 110000000 times and It still confuses me.

What weapon speeds do we want as Sins and NBs? I have heard "oh yeah take the highest DPS ones" or "no no use the ones that have the highest damage"

I personally use the harder hitting one (higher top end damage) in my main hand since Savage Strike and Primal Strike are "weapon damage plus 8 to 10" and a faster one in my OH for faster poison applications.

What do you guys think?

Plane Touched

Weapon Damage + X to Y skills actually use the weapons DPS to calculate AFAIK.
    Higher speed weapons should proc poisons more often, and higher attack rate means more crits per minute.

I haven't seen anyone running hard number comparison, but my gut feeling is fast weapons are optimal for Assassins/Nightblade.
    Blade Dancers would probably do better with slower hard hitting weapons for Strike Back procs though.
    Last edited by del'Vhar; 03-16-2011 at 04:16 PM.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by del'Vhar View Post
    Weapon Damage + X to Y skills actually use the weapons DPS to calculate AFAIK.
    Wow i had no idea that was the case. So it does make sense to have 2 high DPS rather than 2 higher end damage..

Also could you clarify on AFAIK?

thanks.

Plane Touched

AFAIK = As Far as I Know

I could of course be wrong about how its calculated.

Rift Disciple

Its true.
    +ability dmg from weapons are calculated of the dps of the weapon. if you mouse over attackpower you will see that it doesnt say "increase by x amount of dmg", it says "increase x amount of dps".

So so if you have a (3.0speed 20dps weapon) and a (1.0 speed 20 dps weapon) and you have some kind of weaponproc, the faster weapon will always be better.

thou dont forget about stats, its rly important too.

From my experience so far, without parsing or testing anything :

Weapons are normalized for special abilities so it doesn't matter if its 10 speed or 1.2. Wep speed though affects white damage and poison procs.

Although this needs testing I believe that in a perfect world you want to wield the highest dps weapons you can find with the lowest speed. 2 Daggers with skyrocket dps . But in the real world if for example you have a 2.1 sword providing 20dps vs a 1.8 Dagger providing 19 dps go for the sword.

I repeat that maybe I am wrong here..just assuming.
    Last edited by Skyrim; 03-16-2011 at 06:46 PM.
    From the shadows...I come

All damage is normalized based on weapon DPS.

That saying, use the faster weapon for more weapon enchant procs if given a choice.

Merc - 50 Rogue - Briarcliff
    Sin - Sab - Sab - Rift

Quote Originally Posted by Mercy View Post
    All damage is normalized based on weapon DPS.

That saying, use the faster weapon for more weapon enchant procs if given a choice.
    Same DPS = Use the faster one

Same Speed = Use the higher DPS one

Looks pretty clear to me
    From the shadows...I come

DPS is all that matters and from what I understand here procs are also normalized. Can anyone else confirm this?
    Sayaka the Heartless <Vanguard> | Assassin/Ranger/Bard | Guardian of Deepstrike (PvP)

Soulwalker

I need to do some more testing but crits do not appear to be normalised. I was getting slightly higher crit damage from a slower mace than a faster dagger with the same DPS.

Soulwalker

Sorry for double post, can't edit my last entry.

Just tried again with almost matched weapons (20.8 vs 20.9 dps) and I wasn't getting staggered crit damage. What I saw the other day may have been a symptom of an odd bug I've seen when weapon swapping in combat.

Having a slow main-hand and a fast off-hand then drag swapping them on the character frame seems to inexplicably increase my damage done. 115 crits with cadence become 125 and my non-crit damage and white hits are higher as well.

Rift Disciple

So if I have a 14.5 DPS dagger with 50-65 damage and a sword with 14.0 DPS with 70-85 damage...id be better off using the dagger?

+ Reply to Thread