+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Critique My Build: BD/NB/xx 34/32/0

Talking Critique My Build: BD/NB/xx 34/32/0

Hello Rogues!

I am currently a 45 rogue. I have spent countless amounts of gold in respeccing everyday for the reason of hoping to find viable pvp builds for endgame. Most recently I have been trying to find a m.dps pvp rogue build. Through leveling I was mostly an assassin and it was great, however mid-late game I have been curious and was in search of a different type of gameplay. Well enough with the boring part, here is the build I wish to have critiqued and tried out by others:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...Mdz.ihxo0Vxoos

I have been playing a bit with it and have found it to my liking. I know I am not yet 50 but that link is of the final build that i will use when I get there. Please no flames as I am but a noob rogue asking others for advice and maybe sharing some good ones too.

I have tried to build a spec where there is not only good dps or even survivability but also to have good utilities at your disposal. At first you may look at it and find it to be a normal m.dps build, but the way I use it I take advantage of the great synergy between the two classes of Blade Dancer and Night Blade.

Basically what I do is use the Nightblade stealth/opener, build combo points as a BD, and finish up with NB finishers. I set it up where the BD tree benefits from max energy to energy gain and combo point gain and took only the talents in NB that would benefit the finisher. The synergy between the two classes work out as the NB openers are 20m ranger, and your BD flash of steel (the charge) is also 20m. My sequence usually goes like this:

Dark Malady > Flash of Steel (4 combo points already) > Maim (slow) > False Blade > Generate CP using BD skills > NB finisher > etc.

From then on you should be gaining combo points rather quickly and you can just keep using the NB finisher since false blade is up. Now as you build your cp your Heat Retention will build up too so you can end with a <30% hp Nightstalker finish.

The reason you are able to maintain a constant burst is because of the energy gain from the BD tree and build the cp to do so with help from Lingering Flame (correct me if im wrong if it doesnt add a cp) and Contra Tempo and non global cd attacks as you dodge or parry.

As I said before this build comes with great utilities and cc not only for just vs melee but casters too, even healers! Some things to point out are of course the BD rhythmic dances and the NB Fell Blades,the awesome heal debuff for those pesky healers. You also have a silence opener with smother, and a casting interrupt (plus a silence on a succesful interrupt) with the BD's weapon barrage. Not only that you get a disarm for the melee and Dark Containment CC from NB and Twilight Shelter and Sidesteps for defense. If the enemy gets some distance on you, you also have the fiery spike and a decent ranged finisher with Flame Thrust.

You can use those utilities how you like but thats why I've taken a liking to this build, it is very versatile in a way where you have multiple ways to deal with certain enemies. 1v1, warfronts, open world..maybe even pvp, I think it would do decent. What do you think? Sorry if I rambled but hopefully you guys can help review/critique to make this build which I enjoy playing the best it can be.

P.S. As for sub classes you can either go with Sab for the slow or like RS for the shift but you already know that bla bla..
    Lah @ Epoch, Cleric

Plane Touched

Whats the point? Sab will always burst better, and Sin will always have combat stealth and hidden veil.
    Last edited by Obsession; 03-16-2011 at 04:55 AM.

Obsession
    Whats the point? Sab will always burst better, and Sin will always have combat stealth and hidden veil.
    Well I wanted to play something that isn't a Sab. And as for sin, well they are two completely different playstyles.. one relies on stealth fully as mine just relies on it as the optional opener i guess. I just don't think it relates..
    Lah @ Epoch, Cleric

I'm looking at a similar build: Nightblade/Bladedancer

I'll try to point out and justify where I'm differing to you:

Fire and Death Attunement, and Melted Skin (5 points, Nightblade) 5 points into what is essentially a +8% damage buff (given that it is easy to keep the Hellfire Blades proc up pretty constantly in combat) - I prefer this to 5 points in Lingering Flame, which is essentially the reapplication of a fairly mediocre DoT.

Deadly Dance vs Combat Efficiency (3 points, Bladedancer) - Given how quickly energy regenerates anyway, I think half a Keen Strike after every 5-point finisher is worth less than +30% damage to the next two combo point generating abilities - particularly if those abilities are Dusk Strike, Precision Strike or (and I've yet to test this one, but I'm hoping it works!) Dusk To Dawn.

Eventide, and Ebon Fury (3 points, Nightblade) vs Combat Culmination (3 points, Bladedancer) - We want our finishers to be the final blow on the enemy, so any skill that procs off us having combo points left up on the enemy at death is probably going to be wasted. Another damage cooldown in Ebon Fury, and the related buff to Dusk Strike, will allow us to more quickly build up to those finishers that we're after (at least one global cooldown quicker with Ebon Fury and spamming Dusk Strike to get to 5 combo points than with the regular Bladedancer combo builder rotation).

Twilight Force, and Improved Twilight Force (3 points, Nightblade) - Ranged snare is win! Also a nice ranged combo builder under the effects of Ebon Fury - superior damage to Fiery Spike.

I like Counterbalance, as it allows more chaining of Bladedancer cooldowns which is very useful in a hectic situation.

The only thing I'm not sure about is having only the three points into Heat Retention: only a 60% chance to generate a full stack and get the bonus damage to a finisher. However, as it'll be at least two full rotations of combo building and finishers before you'd get a full stack with a 100% chance due to Precision Strike and Dusk Strike awarding two combo points each, we might be able to live with that as we wouldn't want that extra bit of burst til three or four rotations in anyway, taking into account a completely abstract amount of healing, CC and damage mitigation cooldowns that we're likely to run into in your average warfront situation. If I were to find those extra two points from anywhere to make it a 100% chance to gain a stack, I'd drop the two points in Eventide.

With regards to Flash of Steel, try not to use it as an opener - save it for when you get snared, or rooted, or knocked back! Keeps happening to me, and it's a real PITA if I've already burnt Flash of Steel when I could have just run up to the target. Use Twilight Force as an opener to close the distance instead by snaring them, same range and a lower cooldown than Flash of Steel.

Hope that provides some food for thought, anyway!
    Snikkit - Eth Rogue, Nightblade/Bladedancer
    Founder, Hand of Blood
    Formerly Snikkit Bloodhand in WAR, Squig Herder, rr80, Karak-Norn
    Jhim in WoW, Tauren Enhancement Shaman, Trollbane-EU.

Wow! Pretty awesome feedback Snikkit! I will take into consideration everything you said next time i log in. Pretty excited to try out your tweaks and suggestions.
    Last edited by omgvoo; 03-16-2011 at 06:18 AM.
    Lah @ Epoch, Cleric

No probs. You're actually ahead of me in terms of levelling so this is pretty much all theorycraft - I'm 39 atm - take my advice with a very large pinch of salt! Please let me know how you find it. I take great pleasure in playing builds that are outside of the FOTM spectrum such as this one - no doubt Saboteur is very effective but I've found it quite dull to play so far, having much more fun with this one and I hope it continues to perform reasonably, if not very, well.!
    Snikkit - Eth Rogue, Nightblade/Bladedancer
    Founder, Hand of Blood
    Formerly Snikkit Bloodhand in WAR, Squig Herder, rr80, Karak-Norn
    Jhim in WoW, Tauren Enhancement Shaman, Trollbane-EU.

Soulwalker

hmm im looking to give NB/BD some love too, build im aiming for is:
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...d.ihxR0ogMos.V

Here is my Suggestion.

Blade Dancer is a fairly Stingy tree. meaning it really only buffs it's own damage. This means, if you'r egoing to be deep in this tree, there are things you should consider.

Primarily, what moves are you going to use.

For starters I would like to point out that Deadly Strike, is an AMAZING finisher. It hits incredibly hard, and if talented correctly, it can make your other attacks hit very hard aswell.

Keen Strike > Quick Strike > Precision Strike. You should be using these if you are deep in BD.
    Reprisal and Disengage Should also be used.

If you're far into the NB tree, Dusk Strike should be used, and Twilight Force. And you should talent into anything that will boost their damage output.

Since I would primarily use the BD abilities, Dusk Strike, Twilight Force, and Dusk till Dawn to stop runners.
    This would be the spec I would use --
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...R0d.VbtRMogoos

I would immediately make a Macro to do the following
    cast Disengage
    cast Reprisal
    cast Dusk Strike
    cast Precision Strike
    cast Quick Strike
    cast Keen Strike
    cast Twilight Force
    cast Fiery Spike

That should Net you some seriously fast CP generation.

My Strategy would be to open with Dark Malady, or Smother, And spam my Macro till 5 CP's Hit Scourge of Darkness. Flash of Steel if needed, Pop Ebon Fury and Start WRECKING my target. If they are attacking me back, Side-Steps will give me Reprisal / Disengage Procs + Extra CP's for Dodging. Heat Retention should Constantly be at 5 stacks.

Now For my Finisher I would want a Macro to:
    Cast Deadly Strike
    cast Flame thrust

That way if they're in range it hits them with Deadly Strike which is going to hit much harder than Blazing Strike would, PLUS add 30% damage to your next 2 CP buildiers, which should BOTH be Dusk Strike, since Ebon Fury will be up. Heat Retention should have your Deadly Strike critting for ... 1500+ easily. Dusk Strike will probably be critting for 400-500 while affected by Deadly Strike. If they get out of Range, Spamming your CP generator should auto hit them with Twilight Force, to slow them down, then hit Flash of Steel if they pop a CD to get further away. Dusk till Dawn if they hit another one, to kill some time while waiting on Flash of Steel's CD.

I would also make a Macro that does:
    Cast Flash of Steel
    Cast Break Free

That way if you get snared, you can be in the habbit of hitting that key to blitz them, to break the snare. Then if you get feared, you can hit the same Key, to break the fear, then the same key again to Flash of Steel back to your target, assuming Flash is off CD. Just don't spam it cause you don't want to accidentally waste your break Free. You could even add sprint in there after Flash of Steel if you wanted.

I took the Armor Pen as well because a Substantial part of your Damage will come from the Blade Dancer Tree when Ebon Fury is down. Break Free is also going to be really helpful for this spec, since you can't break stuns with Shadow Stalk. I realize Dusk Strike is Death Damage and not affected by Armor Pen, there are enough talents boosting it's damage in the NB tree already.

32 Points in NB Also gets you Fel Blades. This should ALWAYS be on, same for hellfire Blades for the 10% damage boost. Then your Dex Buff, and you should be ready to roll.

There is my 2 cents. Hope that helps.

+ Reply to Thread