+ Reply to Thread

Thread: bards!

Default bards!

So.. I love my bard. But I've found I get ignored when i offer to join groups as a healer/buffer, even a backup healer - i am primary bard specced, too, and focus entirely on that skill set.

Is this going to be a normal thing, knowing I can do a role function really well, but being left out because I am a rogue and people think rogue = dps? Or is this just a low level thing.

Either way I won't switch to a different role, or probably calling, I enjoy it too much. I just want to know how much i'll be soloing or offering groups money to let me join them

Plane Walker

Bards are quite useful, and at 50 I use my bard spec in groups all the time. But something you need to consider is that one of the key mechanics of this game is the ability to change your role on the fly. As a rogue you should have at bare minimum 2 separate roles, one for your bard setup, and a second for pure DPS.

At higher levels your ability to switch back and forth on something like this is going to be expected of you by people you are grouping with. By no means am I saying to *not* learn your bard build inside and out, but don't focus on it to the point of neglecting your other possible options.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by RavingLunatic View Post
    Bards are quite useful, and at 50 I use my bard spec in groups all the time. But something you need to consider is that one of the key mechanics of this game is the ability to change your role on the fly. As a rogue you should have at bare minimum 2 separate roles, one for your bard setup, and a second for pure DPS.

At higher levels your ability to switch back and forth on something like this is going to be expected of you by people you are grouping with. By no means am I saying to *not* learn your bard build inside and out, but don't focus on it to the point of neglecting your other possible options.
    Where is the "like" button?? RavingLunatic is right. I have three roles (bard, dps, and pvp) and you should try to learn what all the souls have to offer. It just makes you a better player, even a better bard!

Keep strummin'!!

Soulwalker

I have a Bard spec for groups as well as a normal DPS for solo stuff (or for when there is another bard in the group).

Not sure about your server, but I have never been turned down when I tell people I am a bard looking for a group. I see people looking for a group as a Rogue al lthe time and they have to keep spamming the channels to get invites.

If you are just saying you are a rogue looking that will probably make your wait longer (not really sure form your post if you are doing this or not).

As I go up in levels I seem to have less wait as well. I plan on raiding as a Bard though, so I hope i keep getting lucky as I progress and find a guild.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by jennytwotone View Post
    So.. I love my bard. But I've found I get ignored when i offer to join groups as a healer/buffer, even a backup healer - i am primary bard specced, too, and focus entirely on that skill set.

Is this going to be a normal thing, knowing I can do a role function really well, but being left out because I am a rogue and people think rogue = dps? Or is this just a low level thing.

Either way I won't switch to a different role, or probably calling, I enjoy it too much. I just want to know how much i'll be soloing or offering groups money to let me join them
    One thing to note, you aren't ever going to be the healer so don't bother trying to join groups as that. Bards are support. They lack targeted direct healing spells needed to main heal. AOE healing and some regen won't cut it on boss fights.

As a rogue you should have at bare minimum 2 separate roles, one for your bard setup, and a second for pure DPS.
    how different are the gear sets you use? my bard is specced more for endurance and attack power, I suspect I'd want better dex on a "true" rogue. also, i'd need to get a good second planar focus set up (my healing one definitely no good here), but given the costliness of the good ones, seems it will always be sub-par.

I <3 my bard too. It's easily my favorite soul, and I have a hard time switching roles and enjoying the other "specs." I'm lucky though, I have a set dungeon group that love my bard heals and buffs (secondary healer for a chloromancer--he gets bored...a lot) and in pvp I stayed specced as full bard and do nothing but buff and heal. I love mah support class.
    Playing- Rift (since beta)

Played- WoW (8 months,) Everquest 2 (1 year,) Warhammer Online (7 months,) Age of Conan (1 week XD ,) Champions Online (2 days XDDDD,) Aion (Beta +6 months,) Guild Wars (1 month)

Shadowlander

Default Bard Ranger with high crit

I currently run a bard/ranger/assassin that has enough put into bard to ge tthe big heal but then put points into ranger/assassin enough to put out DPS as well. I added in enough phys crit items and buffs to give me a self buffed 45% crit rating which means that when i DPS eithe rup close or from a distance (at lvl 47 currently) I average 350-400 DPS while still having access to all the bard heals. I think this may be the key to a good bard spec if you want to be versitile in a dungeon setting is to have a good crit rating.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Avaylea View Post
    how different are the gear sets you use? my bard is specced more for endurance and attack power, I suspect I'd want better dex on a "true" rogue. also, i'd need to get a good second planar focus set up (my healing one definitely no good here), but given the costliness of the good ones, seems it will always be sub-par.
    I've heard that AP is most important for a Bard for any spec, over Dex, but others may have different opinions.

I personally look for AP / Crit / Endurance most often. Still low level though ....

Telaran

All PVE rogue specs (except for riftstalker who I'd imagine has different priorities) should look for the same stuff: Dex/Attack Power/Str/Crit

Thumbs up

Nicely said. I myself have 3 roles set Bard for group buffs / back up heals

high DPS role

and my PvP role

the nice thing about being a rogue is that mostly do the most work. most people in raid parties only have 1 job (heal or tank)

rogues got it made. we keep the pace going constantly switch between roles keeps the game fun for me and not wanting to fall asleep during a raid >.<
    DerpStrike: Seriisbad (Rogue) Seriismad (Mage)
    Dark Age of Camelot: Retired after 10 years
    RR10 Bard / RR9 Warden / RR9 NS / RR10 Enchanter / RR11 Theurg
    Final Fantasy 11 Online - Retired after 7 years
    www.bringvictory.com

ok well.. with this being said, I need help easing into those other roles. I generally play casters or healers in games, but my first and favorite non-caster/healer was the eq bard and the vanguard bard. LOTRO had a neat bard but the sounds drove me NUTS! so...

What other types of rogues are good for easing into the dps role on those other 2 if i am shy about getting in melee? will i get curb stomped soloing without my nifty heals and pet pig tank?

I have been a tank type before,which is different from melee dps (imo), in city of heroes and vindictus. I liked them there, but riftstalkers look like they would be more high-skill-play than I could probably handle

Telaran

Saboteur is probably the most effective 'ranged' rogue, though I'm not sure its the easiest as they tend to require a lot of keybinds, whereas most other rogue souls can macro a lot of their cooldown/reactive abiltiies into one keybind.

Bladedancer is a melee option that has good survivability for soloing (with 13 points in riftstalker for 'rift scavenger' to give you a huge heal after killing a mob)

True.

+ Reply to Thread