+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bards and Greater Planar Foci

Default Bards and Greater Planar Foci

I recently played around with several greater planar focus items: those that trigger from spells, heals, and physical damaging abilities. I discovered the following:

Bard abilities do not trigger greater planar foci that proc from physical damaging abilities--this makes sense as all of bard damage is life based.

Bard abilities that heal do not trigger greater planar foci that proc from heals--this appears to be an error as coda of restoration and verse of vitality are clearly direct heals. Cadence, while it does heal when specced, is primarily a damaging ability and its not clear whether its healing should trigger these foci effects.

Bard abilities count as spells, but motifs do not trigger spell based greater planar focus items. This really doesnt make much sense that cadence and power chord will trigger spell procs, but motifs will not. There may be other abilities that are not triggering these effects, but it would require further testing.

My observations have led me to conclude that Bards have little to no benifit from the majority of greater planar foci. The only effect that triggers is the spell procs and it only triggers on some of our abilities. There are likely more foci effects out there, but if they also fail to trigger off the abilities then it makes little difference. I would suggest making the heal triggers work with bard healing as a start as opposed to creating a set of bard specific greater foci.

Soulwalker

to add something more specific:

Invigorated Soul Procs healing Planars.

I used the heal over time triggered planar focus and never saw the effect while solely using cadence to heal. It might be that some of the foci are working and others are not.

Thanks for the info was wondering about this.

I have the greater dmg/heal equipped, haven't checked to see if it procs.

Before the nerf to the purple greater healing ones, i know they were proccing because i was healing like a champ and it was showing up in the logs. Don't know about now.
    Server: Laethys, Guild: Nefarious, Char: Ebonella

my web design: http://www.advancedws.com.au
    I7920, x58 ud3r, 2x5870 crossfire, 3x27"@6080x1080 eyefinity, 6gig, 64&128G SSD, g15, g5, win7x64, hvr2200.

Planar foci that proc from heals, go off quite often while im using cadence. Haven't really paid to close attention to see if it procs on code.
    Last edited by Sephros; 03-15-2011 at 07:14 PM.
    Error: No Keyboard detected, press F1 to continue....

I think i figured out what the issue was. The HoT on consuming faesource DOES work, but the buff from faded shadesource (SP buff that procs from heals) does not forward to the target of target. So when soloing, it does not trigger the buff on yourself. It may be that it was meant for targeted heals and does not work with implied/forwarded targeting.

Any more information on this would be awesome. I just ran into this problem on my bard. My stinging faesource (HoT off healing spells) works awesome and is almost always going off. However I can't seem to find any other greater that works and its quite frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Caelyndra View Post
    Any more information on this would be awesome. I just ran into this problem on my bard. My stinging faesource (HoT off healing spells) works awesome and is almost always going off. However I can't seem to find any other greater that works and its quite frustrating.
    ditto.
    /bump

I believe you are mistaken on some things OP.

Bard attacks are Physical attacks, not spells.

Cadence = physical, coda's = physical, power chord= physical.

They do proc things like the death damage on physical attack ability.

Some of the attacks do not do physical damage though so they will not proc things that are "on physical damage".

Like wise, our heals, are not spells, they are physical attacks, that heal. Therefore, things that proc "on heal" will have a chance to proc, but things that proc "on heal spell" will not proc.

Hope this helps.
    What I am wondering, if cadence proc's a damage thing, does that extra damage also = heal? i am thinking not, but maybe it should

I tried the death dmg/heal greater and didn't see it proc once in 5m. Mebbe just bad luck? But I started to figure it wasn't a "physical attack" because it does life damage and can be interrupted/silenced. Though I haven't played any other class with a channel ability so not sure if silence can interrupt those too.

My understanding is that the abilities are based off the "physical crit" stat for purposes of critical hits, but they are not physical attacks. This was only supported when the physical damage effect never triggered when I tested it with cadence and power chord.

Yeah I haven't sat there and done testing on it, but of the ones I have tried "physical damage" isn't proc'n off cadence. Yet I can't get any of the other ones that use "healing spells" to proc off cadence either besides the HoT. And then I have the issue of the spell ones giving spell crit/power which to my understanding is useless for bards

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Caelyndra View Post
    Yeah I haven't sat there and done testing on it, but of the ones I have tried "physical damage" isn't proc'n off cadence. Yet I can't get any of the other ones that use "healing spells" to proc off cadence either besides the HoT. And then I have the issue of the spell ones giving spell crit/power which to my understanding is useless for bards
    The only greaters I've had any luck with are the ones that proc extra damage on damaging spells. I'm sticking with those until I work out whether spell crit/power do anything for Bards at all.

Shadowlander

Information would be welcome on the subject
    Last edited by Vennedra; 03-18-2011 at 12:17 PM.

I just today went for the HoT and then the +end when hit for when I just sit in the middle of invasion packs. Some extra hp > nothing imo

+ Reply to Thread