+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Making ranged rogue, had some ideas. Would like to hear what you guys think.

Soulwalker

Default Making ranged rogue, had some ideas. Would like to hear what you guys think.

I want to go more into MM then Ranger (just a personal preference). What do you guys think of this build up to 27? http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1MfNM.xhx0V.AM.0VM .. A few questions:
    1) Would nimble fingers (+15% dex) from sab be better than the 5% crit/+4% to overall damage from Assassin?
    2) How about 12 points into NB for the increased combo damage / increased finisher damage / improved hellfire blades? Here is my NB idea @ level 30, it seems to me that used correctly that this could be a highly effective build for burst dps: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1MfNi.xhx0V.AM.V0xM
    3) It seems to me that the Ranger and Marksman trees have a lot of the same in them. The reason I am taking Ranger is so I can have a legit pet and the +5% crit is a nice bonus to that. I hear a lot of people raving about how Ranger is a superior tree for early-level dps. Why do you think that?
    I would love to hear input from others on this, thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Rictor33; 03-15-2011 at 02:17 PM.

Soulwalker

The effectivness of the tank pet will drop after level 30 (can't be upgraded more). If you still want a viable pet you need 24 points in ranger to get Greater Razorbeast, wich can be upgraded to level 50.

Soulwalker

Gonna ask again.

Telaran

To OP: thank you for actually putting time and effort into providing information on your build rather than asking what is the best.

I don't play a ranger, but I have played around with their builds, so here are my advice on them, however credible I am on it. On your existing build - at level 27, you do not need the 3 points in health in ranger tree, nor the 3 points in +hit if you do not fight things 2+ levels above you. That is 6 points you can free up for something else such as improved quick shot and blood rage combo.

1) Cant say without doing a lot of math with the amount of dex you have, but each dex gives 0.5 atk power, 1 crit rating, 1 dodge. Without doing any math, I would probably guess if your only options are 5% crit or 15% dex; id do dex. Worry about this more when you are level 50 rather than level 27, is my best advice.

2) The +15% damage in combo and finishers are very good as it works all the time. The only abilities you use in combat are pretty much combos and finishers, so it is essentially a +15% in combat damage, and is increased with crit. Highly recommend NB for any build, if it augments your main attack abilities.

3) MM and ranger have many overlapping abilities. You should mainly focus on the abilities of one class, and looking at your build, it will be marksman. I would still toss a quick shot with bleed and pet buff if you need points in the ranger to level up the pet. As for pet leveling, I don't know, but I've heard others say they are very strong. Maybe others can fill you in on this one.

Hope that helps.

Plane Walker

If you are PVP focused go with MM as the main focus with at least 32 points to get qucik reload. You can sub ranger at about 26 points and grab abilities that mostly benefit you but I would rather go for NB for better CC and Heat Retention. Then 8 in sin for the crit and the poison that increases crit. I cant post the builds at work but i think you get more out of the other trees while keeping the range synergy between MM and NB.

For PVE my 32RNG/26MM/8SIN is very good dps. Bloodraptor is great in PVE and Deadeye hits harder than any of the other finishers. Ill try to post the builds later for you.
    Last edited by SvnStrSlm; 03-15-2011 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rictor33 View Post
    I want to go more into MM then Ranger (just a personal preference). What do you guys think of this build up to 27? http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1MfNM.xhx0V.AM.0VM .. A few questions:
    1) Would nimble fingers (+15% dex) from sab be better than the 5% crit/+4% to overall damage from Assassin?
    2) How about 12 points into NB for the increased combo damage / increased finisher damage / improved hellfire blades? Here is my NB idea @ level 30, it seems to me that used correctly that this could be a highly effective build for burst dps: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1MfNi.xhx0V.AM.V0xM
    3) It seems to me that the Ranger and Marksman trees have a lot of the same in them. The reason I am taking Ranger is so I can have a legit pet and the +5% crit is a nice bonus to that. I hear a lot of people raving about how Ranger is a superior tree for early-level dps. Why do you think that?
    I would love to hear input from others on this, thanks in advance.
    1. Nimble fingers is, indeed, great for any Marksman/Ranger. Saboteur also gives you Adhesive Bomb, which is something that a lot of ranged Rogues like to have. It is definitely a soul worth considering, but not necessarily better than Assassin, which is also excellent.

2. Twelve points in Nightblade is another very solid choice for ranged Rogues. It will give you Blazing Fury, Coup de Grace and Melted Skin, which are perfect for sustained damage builds.

3. Having tried both souls, I really don't think Ranger has better early-level dps, but it does have the advantage of being able to do most of its damage on the run, and that can be great while leveling.

That said, as always, I will recommend against taking both Ranger and Marksman. As you have already noticed, they have simply too many skills that overlap, and having a pet for tanking really isn't a necessity unless you happen not to have a single melee soul on your build.

In my humble opinion, (12 to 15 points in) Nightblade, (17 to 20 points in) Assassin and (5 to 6 points in) Saboteur are, currently, the best choices to supplement a Ranger/Marksman build.

Picking only one of those two is usually the tough part, since they're both so entertaining, but seeing as you already know that you prefer Marksman...

Rift Master

For pve you can do a bunch of different things. I did take mm and ranger with sab as third soul... or riftstalker.

For the first many levels you don't have a lot of extra points.

Six in ranger gives me a tanking pet till 30 and a ranged snare. WIN. The rest goes into MM. Above 30 you can re-evaluate and see how you feel.

If you are talking about pvp... ?? I hope not. LOL.

Why are you NOT a bard or a sab. If you are not a bard or a sab you are gimping your team to the contribution you could be making.

Sure some do fine i am sure. I am not a frustrated mm either. I did play them a bit. In the end i went sab and was much happier. Never lost to an mm. On my warrior you will find my ranged damage is as good or better than yours. As a mage is still blow them up. On a cleric LOL i heal through everything you do and tear you down... OR i just heal and dps you down if i have a dps spec.

I have seen MM do "okay" but i haven't seen any great MM at all.

I mostly see them dead and getting looted.

Sab and bard are different and much better... pvp.

The game sold itself as so many options... but in the end... there are very few really good options... lots of bad options.

Shadowlander

It seems like most everything has been covered.

I only have one thing to add i suppose. I leveled to 38 as MM (lol questing while kiting) and in PvE as well as PvP On the Double and Static Shot were a must. Especially imp On the Double since it removes snares and makes you immune for a short time.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by rowdysattva View Post
    For pve you can do a bunch of different things. I did take mm and ranger with sab as third soul... or riftstalker.

For the first many levels you don't have a lot of extra points.

Six in ranger gives me a tanking pet till 30 and a ranged snare. WIN. The rest goes into MM. Above 30 you can re-evaluate and see how you feel.

If you are talking about pvp... ?? I hope not. LOL.

Why are you NOT a bard or a sab. If you are not a bard or a sab you are gimping your team to the contribution you could be making.

Sure some do fine i am sure. I am not a frustrated mm either. I did play them a bit. In the end i went sab and was much happier. Never lost to an mm. On my warrior you will find my ranged damage is as good or better than yours. As a mage is still blow them up. On a cleric LOL i heal through everything you do and tear you down... OR i just heal and dps you down if i have a dps spec.

I have seen MM do "okay" but i haven't seen any great MM at all.

I mostly see them dead and getting looted.

Sab and bard are different and much better... pvp.

The game sold itself as so many options... but in the end... there are very few really good options... lots of bad options.
    Yeah, this is not about a pvp build. This is more about an ideal leveling build that will have strong instance output (always important to me to top damage meters, I am a competitive guy). I will probably have an RS tanking build and a bard build to go along with this. Ranger pet is only for leveling, at level 50 I will drop it for a pure ranged dps build.

Soulwalker

my experience with MM and Ranger in pve, is that they can have a nice damage output, if played right and they keep the ranger buffs up (the one from bleed and the one from headshot) and then use their MM finisher for real damage. Sure then they can do good. Nightblade would also be the third soul i recommend to go with this, for the 15% bonus to combo point generating abilties and 15% to finisher.
    While some other souls can provide extra crit, the nightblade points give a steady dps increase where the others are more chance based. I'd take a steady dps increase over a chance based.

Soulwalker

Default Alright, re-thinking this a little.

It seems as if my logic was really off to start. I want to MM, but I feel like I need a pet for ideal leveling efficiency. That being said, I am starting to think that Ranger is the way to go early and that MM could be used later in the game and when I am running instances. Having both MM and Ranger is basically screwing myself out of some incredibly good low-tier talents in other trees, as well as the ability to have multiple weapon enchants (HFB/Poison) thus making my previous builds gimpy. Here is what I came up with @ level 30: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...cf0xz.V0xM.0VM .. So here are a few more questions:
    1) The talent in the next tier of assassin look to be really useful (Cruel vengeance would be up pretty much consistently, giving me a permanent damage buff). Unfortunately, in order to get them I have to burn 3 points in serrated blades. From what I remember hearing, serrated blades does not effect ranged attacks. Is that correct?
    2) Another option is Fire and death attunement in the NB tree. I would get a +3% damage buff to all attacks and not have to worry about wasting three points, unlike the above suggestion.
    3) Here is my idea of what the Ranger build would look like @ 50: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M....V0xMh.0VMcx0b .. How does that look?

Soulwalker

Default More.

Double shot might be useless as auto attack damage does not seem to matter much. How about this build instead: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M....V0xMh.0VMcxzb , thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Rictor33 View Post
    Double shot might be useless as auto attack damage does not seem to matter much. How about this build instead: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M....V0xMh.0VMcxzb , thoughts?
    Remember that the pets you will get in that build wont level passed level 30.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Gundrik View Post
    Remember that the pets you will get in that build wont level passed level 30.
    Sorry, this is the complete build idea: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M....V0xMh.0VMcxzb
    Last edited by Rictor33; 03-16-2011 at 06:42 AM.

Soulwalker

Default or this

The link isnt working, it is Ranger 33 / NB 18 / Assassin 15
    Last edited by Rictor33; 03-16-2011 at 06:49 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast