+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Primal Strike vs Keen/Quick strike

Default Primal Strike vs Keen/Quick strike

First of all I want to ask if there is any practise dummy I can use at level 27 to test some abilites. The dummies at Meridian are immune probably because I'm not level 50.

What I want to check is if it's better damage wise to use keen/quick strike rotation instead of Primal strike. The soul combination I plan to have at 50 will be Nightblade (45)/Bladedancer (16)/Rifstaker (5). From Bladedancer I will go up to Blade tempo so I'll also take Blade and fury which will buff my Keen strike and also will give me one more ability to generate 2 combo points (Precision strike). If the combination of Keen/quick strike is better than Primal strike I can get the three points from Primal death and use them somewhere else.

Soulwalker

Bump for good luck cause I am curious about this as well. I have seen a few pvp specs that have Night Blade with 3/3 Primal Death yet still have enough points in Blade Dancer for Sprint. With that you get Blade and Flury to go with your Keen/Quick compared to Primal Death which is 30% to proc to deal 50% damage.

Telaran

i have a similar buils for my 2nd soul but cant comment yet cos im at work so dont have access to my parser but im pretty sure the Keen/Quick Combo was more effective.

What finisher are you using, quick strike for both or are you using Blazing with your Primal?

On another note, do you not find this build quite squishy? Are you having a lot of downtime inbetween mobs cos you have no pet or heals with this build whereas if you went into Rift deeper or used a Bard, at least you could get some heals during the fight.

Im finding this build downs mobs quicker but is offset with the on-cost in time and money by having to stop for a drink much more frequently.

The rotation I use is dark malady/fiery spike/keen strike/quick strike/blazing strike/keen strike/quick strike/dusk strike/blazing strike = dead mob (usually it doesn't take the whole rotation to kill something though). With side steps (50% dodge) and Twilight shelter (80% incoming damage reduction - 40% outgoing damage reduction) I have close to no downtime. I may rest once every 10 fights or so. Currently I have 5 points in Toughened soul in Riftstalker which will move to Unseen fury once I reach 50 and I stop soloing. With this I soloed the quest to kill the elite trolls in stonefield at level 25 while the trolls were 20 I think. Of course I had to wait 2 minutes for each troll for cooldowns.

Rift Chaser

Look not to ruin you bubble and all, but get to 50 and figure it out. Just because you have some spec in mind NOW. Doesn't mean you will have that at 50. Also you get 4 spec, you try stuff. it is 50gold to respec flat fee. You can respec and try, you DONT have to know to major degree which spec and what rotation to use at 27. Look at hthe numbers, from my very short experience with BD, i just speced into it. Keen/quick is better. Just got a mob and try it. In this particular case it is not rocket science, they both have no cd, casting time and both generate 1 combo point. If keep/quick combo does more damage then 2 primal then they are better.

As for lvling spec, you need 1 of 3 things to lvl fast:
    1) pet - Ranger
    2) Healing - Bard, RS scavenger, one of sin poisons, might be missing something.
    3) Stunlocks, so you take very little damage each mob. - Sin

3) is very fun to play but very demanding, you can't faceroll it or you end up taking too much damage.

Shadowlander

Default a littl more on topic

Take a look at the tooltips for keen strike and quick strike compared to primal strike. The offhand strike ( I think it's quick strike but can't remember) gets a damage increase and has better raw, stated damage than just primal strike while the main button mash for bladedancer has the same stated damage as primal strike. Assuming that the game data is correct it will always be better damage-wise to use the bladedancer strikes than two of the nightblade strikes. Two hits will get you two combo points either way.

I macro'd the whole mess, so the names of them are getting shaky now. 28th nightblade for reference.

Quote Originally Posted by salpus View Post
    Take a look at the tooltips for keen strike and quick strike compared to primal strike. The offhand strike ( I think it's quick strike but can't remember) gets a damage increase and has better raw, stated damage than just primal strike while the main button mash for bladedancer has the same stated damage as primal strike. Assuming that the game data is correct it will always be better damage-wise to use the bladedancer strikes than two of the nightblade strikes. Two hits will get you two combo points either way.

I macro'd the whole mess, so the names of them are getting shaky now. 28th nightblade for reference.
    Primal strike can be boosted to have a 30% chance to do 50% more damage so you can't just compare the tooltips. Also the extra 50% damage is death damage and not physical so it may result more due to difference in mitigations between physical and death.

Shadowlander

Quick Strike

A fast offhand attack that deals weapon plus 12 to 14 Physical damage. Usable only after a Keen Strike attack. An additional 50% damage bonus from Attack Power is applied to this attack. Awards 1 Combo Point.

Base on primal's and keen's first rank is 7-9 and they stay consistently behind.

The base damage on primal strike is less than quick strike, and three points gets you only a 30% chance to do half it's damage in death damage. Even with the talent tree modifications to non-physical damage and two chances to deal the damage, I still think keen strike/quick strike is the way to go. Spend those three points elsewhere. I can't test it until later but for my money guaranteed damage > maybe damage (that could be marginally better).

+ Reply to Thread