+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Riftstalker - Defer Death / Planar Refuge

Rift Disciple

Default Riftstalker - Defer Death / Planar Refuge

Does anyone know how these two abilities would interact?

If I cast Planar Refuge and Defer death, and take 1000 damage, will the "banked" damage for the end of Defer Death be 700 because of the 30% mitigation when I took the damage, will it be 700 because (lets say Planar Refuge was still active when Defer Death faded) planar refuge was still active and the mitigation happened on the hit I took from Defer Death fading, or...

Would I mitigate 30% while taking the damage, then mitigate another 30% when Defer Death fades leading to 490 damage taken?

Champion

from what I've experienced the damage you take upon ending defer death is not effected by anything.

That said even if it is reduced by planar refuge in most circumstances your still going to be getting hit for well over your hp (biggest hit so far from it has been 18.7k!)

dIb

I was thinking about using Scatter the Shadows (3 sec imunity) when Defer Death wears off, and you're about to get a ****load of damage.
    Anyone tried that?

Quote Originally Posted by dIb View Post
    I was thinking about using Scatter the Shadows (3 sec imunity) when Defer Death wears off, and you're about to get a ****load of damage.
    Anyone tried that?
    Yup its fail ;) I tried that during an instance when the healer went down. Popped Defer Death, then between 2/1 seconds left i triggered Scatter the shadows and i still got hit for 15k damage lol.
    After that i went outside the instance to try it again. And having 6 mobs hammering on me i still manage to one shot myself even when scatter the shadows was active. So there is no way to prevent the damage from Defer Death.
    Dont forget to check out my poems/lyrics: Saboteur Poem / Saboteur Lyrics.
    Ps. English is not my native language.

Champion

yep tried it in silverwood:

Dasorine is immune to damage
    Dasorine is hit by Dasorines Defer Death for 258 damage

Rift Disciple

Thanks. Guess its not too viable in a lot of situations, too bad you can't bind a hotbutton to unclick it rather than having to search for it on your buff bar to end it before the damage adds up to be > your max hp and thus 100% death.

You can remove the Defer Death buff before it's to late.
    Hard to do but eh, it's a funny skill.
    Krissha@Zaviel
    Isabelpantoja@Zaviel

Ascendant

Defer Death is a gimmick skill with almost zero actual value. Only tanks have it, and I can't think of many circumstances where dying 10 seconds later is going to save your group/raid. Yes, it might save you from a 1% wipe. That's pretty much it.
    Pessimistick - <Esti Efiu> - Mage - Guardian - Sunrest
    Ippon - <Esti Efiu> - Rogue - Guardian - Sunrest
    Uchimata - <Esti Efiu> - Cleric - Guardian - Sunrest
    Noppi - <Esti Efiu> - Warrior - Guardian - Sunrest
    Ippon - <Spike Flail> - Ner'zhul

Champion

just used it to finish of the queen in expert FC, healer went down from impregnate with 5% left, defered death and tanked it to the finish then took a 16k hit and died ><

I used it to cheat a few of the click puzzle things the first time I did Runic Descent...that's about it.

Effective Health: 51 Riftstalker/7 Bard/8 Ranger - Avoidance: 36 Riftstalker/8 Bard/22 Bladedancer - Healthy Mix: 51 Riftstalker/7 Bard/8 Bladedancer
    Riftstalker Tanking - Key Abilities and Mechanics 2.0
    Zayrinoke, Level 50 Bahmi Rogue - Zerstorer, Level 43 Bahmi Warrior - Asche, Level 20 Kelari Cleric - Haifisch, Level 32 Eth Mage
    Multiple Shards

Plane Touched

Honestly i just think defer death is broken.

people are getting hit for one and a half times their hp, either its ignoring all mitigation for 10 seconds or you would have been slammed for lethal damage anyway.

At the very least we should get the benefit of mitigation on one side of the effect. either it should build only build up damage that makes it through the normal combat table or let rift guard and guarded by steal cut down on the back lash. That way defer is just a very heavily back loaded ~60% damage cd.
    Just because its broke for blizzard doent mean its going to be broken on Rift.
    If you write off everything jerks can use to be jerks; you might as well just go play Olympic Wall Starring

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by tibot View Post
    Honestly i just think defer death is broken.

people are getting hit for one and a half times their hp, either its ignoring all mitigation for 10 seconds or you would have been slammed for lethal damage anyway.

At the very least we should get the benefit of mitigation on one side of the effect. either it should build only build up damage that makes it through the normal combat table or let rift guard and guarded by steal cut down on the back lash. That way defer is just a very heavily back loaded ~60% damage cd.
    Generally speaking, you'll die to most bosses in 10 seconds with no heals. That's exactly what Defer simulates.

Edit: It's possible that there is a bug involved that makes you take more damage, but I still don't feel it would be a useful skill even if that were fixed. Sustained damage rarely kills tanks. Spike damage often kills tanks. Nothing screams "god-awful skill" more than an ability that forces the tank to take massive spike damage.
    Last edited by PessimiStick; 03-15-2011 at 10:54 AM.
    Pessimistick - <Esti Efiu> - Mage - Guardian - Sunrest
    Ippon - <Esti Efiu> - Rogue - Guardian - Sunrest
    Uchimata - <Esti Efiu> - Cleric - Guardian - Sunrest
    Noppi - <Esti Efiu> - Warrior - Guardian - Sunrest
    Ippon - <Spike Flail> - Ner'zhul

Plane Touched

They should change the hit at the end into a DoT, at least a 20 or 30 second DoT (or even longer). That way, it turns spike damage into sustained damage, instead of sustained/less spike damage into OMFGTHEPAINTHEPAIN spike damage.
    Faeblight - Defiant: Ghaeleah, Eladria, Mala, Danoria, Azshannya
    Estrael - Guardian: Reah, Shilania, Kethrah, Tulania, Azshannya

Champion

or you know... just make scatter the shadows work with it.

And no it wouldn't be that over powered if it did, you'd have to keep the timing right and any time you got stunned or such before hitting scatter and such you'd more or less be dead.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by PessimiStick View Post
    Defer Death is a gimmick skill with almost zero actual value. Only tanks have it, and I can't think of many circumstances where dying 10 seconds later is going to save your group/raid. Yes, it might save you from a 1% wipe. That's pretty much it.
    You can pick up a shardstone in WF all while getting meleed, AoEed, etc.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast