+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ranger/assassin/marksman.. viable for pvp?

Soulwalker

Default Ranger/assassin/marksman.. viable for pvp?

Put most my points into ranger, I prefer ranger to marksman because I loved hunters in DAOC.

Anyway the idea is to use stealth to choose my targets/chances. Attack at range and sick my pet, if its a warrior hopefully my points in assassin will allow me to finish him off, or my marksman abilities to do a bit of kiting.

I'm open to switching to marksman as my main soul, but I prefer the skills in ranger... because it would allow me to use a bit of melee too, my only fear is I'll be a bit too versatile and not too good at any one thing.

I could also take most my points out of marksman and go more into assassin if that would be better.

Thanks in advance for any input, its appreciated.
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...oqz.MVMdd.VhbR
    Last edited by husasz; 03-14-2011 at 08:53 PM.

this sounds like a good spec to me. go high enough into assassin to where you get that blink type move. its really powerful for gettin away quick and confusion and if you pair it with a slowdown. i dunno if you have any? but with a slowdown youll be able to kite even better with the blink
    4LOKO, NOW IN LUNCHABLES

Is this a serious post? Or just a bad link to the soul builder?

Taking Ranger to 38 but skipping Prey on the Weak?
    Stopping Assassin short of all the good abilities? (Mag Pain/Imp Stealth)

Seriously what did you hope to accomplish with this build? Because it looks like you closed your eyes and started clicking your mouse on the talent builder than posted the results.
    Maybe he just wanted to steal our wire cutters. You ever think of that?

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Malingers View Post
    Is this a serious post? Or just a bad link to the soul builder?

Taking Ranger to 38 but skipping Prey on the Weak?
    Stopping Assassin short of all the good abilities? (Mag Pain/Imp Stealth)

Seriously what did you hope to accomplish with this build? Because it looks like you closed your eyes and started clicking your mouse on the talent builder than posted the results.
    Prey on the weak doesnt seem that good to me.. 5% damage increase to your pet, Maybe I should put one point into it, Now with the improved stealth and magnify pain you have a point.. thats why I made this thread.

I dunno if its worth trading the two marksman speed buffs though.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by husasz View Post
    Prey on the weak doesnt seem that good to me.. 5% damage increase to your pet, Maybe I should put one point into it, Now with the improved stealth and magnify pain you have a point.. thats why I made this thread.

I dunno if its worth trading the two marksman speed buffs though.
    Prey on the Weak is the 'hot sex' of a ranger build. Blood Rage is the damage increase for your pet at 5/10/15% if you've got a bleed going... Prey on the Weak is a 15% bonus to all your damage, which you can keep up consistantly with either the dog or raptor.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by food View Post
    Prey on the Weak is the 'hot sex' of a ranger build. Blood Rage is the damage increase for your pet at 5/10/15% if you've got a bleed going... Prey on the Weak is a 15% bonus to all your damage, which you can keep up consistantly with either the dog or raptor.
    Thanks, I'm still obviously a noob, I'm gonna repost my hopefully improved tree, thanks for the input.. here it is.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...z.0VMfhcb0z.VM

Thanks, I'm still obviously a noob, I'm gonna repost my hopefully improved tree, thanks for the input.. here it is.

I'd dump improved swiftshot for Bestial Fury, as you are probably going to be using quickshot more to apply the bleed, and since the speed is removed by a finisher it's really only good for a couple of seconds, whereas Bestial Fury is awesome. But I don't claim to know what I'm talking about.

Plane Touched

I'd take out the improved swift shot, as the guy above me said, then put those points into blinding powder and the marksman punt. Why? Cuz it'll make you a total bastard in pvp and that's a goal all rogues should aim for. You could also drop some points out of Bolster and put them into Cruel Vengeance and Foul Play 'cuz Escape Artist into a Foul Play stun is about your only counter to a Champion coming after you.

Serrated blades only affects melee weapon damage, so you won't see any bonuses from that at 30m+ but it's automatic for keeping Bloodrage up while you're in melee.

If you want to be able to dip in and out of melee to get the effect from SB, I'd reccommend a build like this: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...sfz0osos.E0z0z

You can take a point out of Reprisal for a slightly better healing debuff but you'll lose out on Weapon Barrage which is just a bastard move to pull on casters and bards. It serves the same function as Concusive Blast, but the cooldown is far shorter and doesn't require combo points to pull of. At fifty it should also hit for somewhere around 425-475 on a crit which makes it a great little finisher off the gcd. The point in Improved Escape Artist could also serve the same function or both to max the healing debuff. Never give up Sprint, ever. It's the best thing. You can also forgo the healing debuff entirely in favour of Double Cross, which is just insane when it comes to Final Blow crits when you've got Prey on the Weak, Cruel Vengeance and Bestial Fury up.
    Last edited by food; 03-15-2011 at 03:13 PM.

Much better, although I'm not a fan of Ranger in PvP this will atleast give you as much of a shot at success as can be had.

Tho like the above posters said I'd drop out of Imp Swift Shot, and get atleast 1 point into Bestial Fury, the other to flavor. Maybe re-arrange your Ranger tree to get it, so you can use the Imp Swift points in your Assassin tree.
    Maybe he just wanted to steal our wire cutters. You ever think of that?

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by food View Post
    I'd take out the improved swift shot, as the guy above me said, then put those points into blinding powder and the marksman punt. Why? Cuz it'll make you a total bastard in pvp and that's a goal all rogues should aim for. You could also drop some points out of Bolster and put them into Cruel Vengeance and Foul Play 'cuz Escape Artist into a Foul Play stun is about your only counter to a Champion coming after you.

Serrated blades only affects melee weapon damage, so you won't see any bonuses from that at 30m+ but it's automatic for keeping Bloodrage up while you're in melee.

If you want to be able to dip in and out of melee to get the effect from SB, I'd reccommend a build like this: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...sfz0osos.E0z0z

You can take a point out of Reprisal for a slightly better healing debuff but you'll lose out on Weapon Barrage which is just a bastard move to pull on casters and bards. It serves the same function as Concusive Blast, but the cooldown is far shorter and doesn't require combo points to pull of. At fifty it should also hit for somewhere around 425-475 on a crit which makes it a great little finisher off the gcd. The point in Improved Escape Artist could also serve the same function or both to max the healing debuff. Never give up Sprint, ever. It's the best thing. You can also forgo the healing debuff entirely in favour of Double Cross, which is just insane when it comes to Final Blow crits when you've got Prey on the Weak, Cruel Vengeance and Bestial Fury up.
    Thanks for all the input, I'm really liking your build as I've always liked the blade dancer, maybe I don't need marksman.

Also considering getting out of ranger for pvp, maybe going marksman/assassin/bladedancer like you said.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Malingers View Post
    Much better, although I'm not a fan of Ranger in PvP this will atleast give you as much of a shot at success as can be had.

Tho like the above posters said I'd drop out of Imp Swift Shot, and get atleast 1 point into Bestial Fury, the other to flavor. Maybe re-arrange your Ranger tree to get it, so you can use the Imp Swift points in your Assassin tree.
    I may get out of ranger and go marksman, still seeing which one I like better at this point.

+ Reply to Thread