+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What is the current state of ranged rogues aka rangers , marksman ?

Default What is the current state of ranged rogues aka rangers , marksman ?

Wondering how are the ranged rogues at lvl 50 ? i can bet it is hard to kite because of the teleports .

Dmg wise for me it seems rdps rogues have a harder time cause of the low dmg spammable combo points adding skills that are hitting for low dmg just like 100 - 200 dmg like swift shot while other classes spammable skill can do a lot more than 200 .

Not so sure but it seems warriors and melee rogues are far better doing more big crits than ranged rogues /ranger ; marksman /.

Need your objective opinion just to know is it worth playing a ranged dps rogue ?

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Spitefull View Post
    Wondering how are the ranged rogues at lvl 50 ? i can bet it is hard to kite because of the teleports .

Dmg wise for me it seems rdps rogues have a harder time cause of the low dmg spammable combo points adding skills that are hitting for low dmg just like 100 - 200 dmg like swift shot while other classes spammable skill can do a lot more than 200 .

Not so sure but it seems warriors and melee rogues are far better doing more big crits than ranged rogues /ranger ; marksman /.

Need your objective opinion just to know is it worth playing a ranged dps rogue ?
    Going deep enough into RS for more teleports = serious lack of damage from other souls. You can get two teleports without losing much, but going for more and you start giving up other things. Right now, melee rogues are in a sorry place, since most people see you in stealth and you don't get your opener. Sin/Nightblade are the better two souls, the rest are trash. Sab is awesome, but hardly 'rogue'-like.

Plane Touched

Firstly, Rogues have a 1 second Global Cooldown, the shortest of any RIFT Calling (the others being 1.5s), so we are indeed quite spammy. Now for a breakdown of my opinion on the ranged classes:

Bards are incredible when you play them right, and people forget that Rogues roll something else besides a FOTM Saboteur, so you don't get focusfired...at first. In my opinion, if you want to be an effective Bard, you're going to have to invest as many points as possible into the tree. Virtuoso is a BEAUTIFUL thing.

Marksman is by far my favourite ranged-DPS spec. Its damage isn't as high as it was during the Betas, but it's certainly nothing to sneeze at. The key to this class is building your damage spikes in order to maximize your burst. I can easily take down a healer if they're solo or supported by one other healer, all it takes is a bit of preparation. Movement speed buffs is another forte of the Marksman. Since the class itself has no slow skill, a very large portion of the skill tree is dedicated to upping your movement speed and mobility. You don't usually miss the slow. On the other hand, the Marksman possess only one CC skill, and it's a root that breaks on damage. In Warfronts where every player and their dog has some form of stun, you definitely feel lacking in that department.

Ranger is my second least favourite ranged soul right besides the Saboteur, but for different reasons. I find that the Ranger doesn't have enough spike capacity to take down high-priority targets in a PvP match, something that is a Rogue's main role in ANY PvP encounter. Yes, the pet can do reams of damage in addition to your own, but a lot of it is geared towards being able to whittle down the enemy. That won't even tickle a healer. Maxing out at a certain level, pets are a bit of a catch-22 as well. Past level 32, you're going to need to invest the majority of your points into the tree in order to gain access to higher-levelled pets. The Razorbeast will be your main PvE tank and does its job well. Contrarily, the Dire Wolf and Raptor (which is incredibly underwhelming and isn't worth the points it costs to unlock in my opinion) are nigh useless for PvE tanking, and are suited to Dungeons and PvP.

Finally, the Saboteur. If you're someone who likes to blow the living bajeezus out of someone in the space of 5 seconds, then here's your class. It has potentially the highest ranged DPS output of any Soul in RIFT, but it comes with a catch. You'll have to accept the fact that you will be using a grand total of 7 skills over, and over, and over again in PvP. Saboteurs are exceedingly one-sided, and I couldn't bear to play one for longer than 5 or so levels due to how absolutely mind-numbingly dull the class is. This is the quintessential point and shoot class.

In summary, I tried to stay impartial and give you a general overview of the classes, but my opinions are a bit too strong regarding certain classes to stay completely impartial. I would recommend that you pick whichever soul interests you the most and figure out what you like that way. You don't need an entire forum picking and choosing your class for you.

@Obsession: Riftstalkers are quite possibly the most formidable Sourcestone runners in Whitefall. With all their damage mitigation and mobility skills, it's nigh on impossible to kill them.

Plane Touched

Are you talking about PvP, or PvE? They tend to do less damage than melee builds, but a lot of bosses have cleaves and AoEs that you don't have to worry about as ranged so it's a trade off.

PvP is a mess. The damage isn't there anymore to make up for the lack of survivability. Any player you can kill as a Marksman/Ranger you will kill twice as hard as some sort of assassin or nightblade spec. The only exception are melee warriors whom you catch questing or something, and are able to keep them at 20 meter range... but this will not happen very often, and the instant a warrior catches you in a warfront or OPvP he will blow you up in two GCDs. Riftblade warriors and Chloromancer subspec'd mages will crap on you outright, as will clerics as you will not have the damage to kill them without help. If you go into PvP as a MM-heavy spec you will be frustrated a lot.
    Last edited by Maderas; 03-14-2011 at 05:42 PM.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Maderas View Post
    Are you talking about PvP, or PvE? They tend to do less damage than melee builds, but a lot of bosses have cleaves and AoEs that you don't have to worry about as ranged so it's a trade off.

PvP is a mess. The damage isn't there anymore to make up for the lack of survivability. You will be frustrated a lot.
    Idk what you're talking about - my Marksman can pump out the hurt better than most classes.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Magipants View Post
    Idk what you're talking about - my Marksman can pump out the hurt better than most classes.
    Are these "most classes" Wardens and Chloromancers and Bards?

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Kivlov View Post
    Are these "most classes" Wardens and Chloromancers and Bards?
    No, Mediocre Saboteurs, most Warrior classes (barring Champions), all Healers, and definitely Rangers. It's all about knowing how to build your spikes. Hell, I haven't met a solo Healer in a Warfront that I can't take down.

Gox
    Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Magipants View Post

no way im the biggest MM fanboi ever.. and i specced sab today for the first time and omfg its soo much better... its like going from dpsing as a bard to a mm when going from MM to sab..( in pvp at least)

In experts MM isn't awful but it is worse than most pure dps souls.

but i do pvp on one of the better battlegroups so i have hard competition. Can't speak for some of the weaker groups.
    Last edited by Gox; 03-14-2011 at 07:38 PM.

Shield of Telara

I play 51/15/0 ranger/nightblade/assassin and i rarely get out DPSed on single target bosses in experts and i am tpyically 1 or 2 on AoE trash pulls...

for some reason people avoid 51 point specs for some reason, but making your spec overly complicated and makes it weaker... for instance there is a marks build that has 31 point in ranger just to get the pet, but half the shots are counters to the other...

deadeye shot - hits harder then head shot for sure, but headshot gives a 15% damage buff

the list goes on... not to mention with only 31 points in ranger everything will one shot the pet making it useless, with 51 points AoE does basically 0 damage to him because he does more damage meaning his self heal is better (raptor pet that is)

going ranger then not maxing it just makes your pet weak in not only damage but he dies in basically all AoE making him wasted, a fully buffed raptor in t1 quality gear can do over 200 DSP by himself with a bard around single target

They are on the lower end of the spectrum but not hopeless.

The biggest problems are defensive. But also getting energy starved and no interrupt abilities.

They aren't broke, but could use some tweeking still.
    Maybe he just wanted to steal our wire cutters. You ever think of that?

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll03 View Post
    I play 51/15/0 ranger/nightblade/assassin and i rarely get out DPSed on single target bosses in experts and i am tpyically 1 or 2 on AoE trash pulls...

for some reason people avoid 51 point specs for some reason, but making your spec overly complicated and makes it weaker... for instance there is a marks build that has 31 point in ranger just to get the pet, but half the shots are counters to the other...

deadeye shot - hits harder then head shot for sure, but headshot gives a 15% damage buff

the list goes on... not to mention with only 31 points in ranger everything will one shot the pet making it useless, with 51 points AoE does basically 0 damage to him because he does more damage meaning his self heal is better (raptor pet that is)

going ranger then not maxing it just makes your pet weak in not only damage but he dies in basically all AoE making him wasted, a fully buffed raptor in t1 quality gear can do over 200 DSP by himself with a bard around single target
    Your post have a few days ago convinced me to try out a rogue and go for the 51 points in Ranger...I am just curious are you able to solo well with your blood raptor?
    I am now level 27 and finding that my dmg is subpar to when I for example played a champ/bm or necro/lock.
    Will all these even out in 4 lvls and get better each level? I am curious indeed ;)

What do you think about this build with perma stealth ?

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...huzM.0VMfdcb0z

Is stealth good enaugh to worth the points spent in assasin ?

This is the build i look for pve and world pvp .

I will appreciate your comments on this build .
    Last edited by Spitefull; 03-14-2011 at 11:38 PM.

the ranged rogues are VERY bugged , at least for me
    auto attack stops working COMPLETELY after using some skills, which will gimp ur dps
    atm melee is the way to go if you wanna play rogue
    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1282&dateline=1279040  725

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Spitefull View Post
    What do you think about this build with perma stealth ?

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...huzM.0VMfdcb0z

Is stealth good enaugh to worth the points spent in assasin ?

This is the build i look for pve and world pvp .

I will appreciate your comments on this build .
    It isn't worth it, no. You can't burn down people 1v1 as a Marksman. I really can't stress this enough. It is an absolutely awful world PvP class at level 50. I don't care how well some people are managing to do in the lower brackets; it's all ultimately pointless. 50 is where everybody is going to end up eventually.

Stealth is a waste on a ranged rogue because you will not kill somebody before they kill you. Stealth is an advantage for assassins, for example, because they have other tools (stuns, a bleed they can apply and then vanish) that will help them pull out a win in single combat. Marksmen don't have anything like this. At best you might buy yourself a second or two while he tries to locate where the shots are coming from, and then he will melt your face. The only souls you might be able to eek out a win against are non-Chloro mages, and if my server is any indication they're all but extinct at high level. The only souls you can eek out a win against in single combat are non-Chloro mages, but if my server is any indication they are all but extinct at high level.
    Last edited by Maderas; 03-15-2011 at 12:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by g0kuenuan View Post
    the ranged rogues are VERY bugged , at least for me
    auto attack stops working COMPLETELY after using some skills, which will gimp ur dps
    atm melee is the way to go if you wanna play rogue
    experiencing this on my Ranger as well

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast