+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: It would seem assasin is quite underused

Shadowlander

Default It would seem assasin is quite underused

Everyone and their mom wants to be marksman, which is fine, no big deal

all the people lacking in basic pvp skill are going sab, a tree which i have yet to touch

whats wrong with assassin ? can people not be patient and pick their battles or do they need to charge in head first every fight.

as a level 32, doing warfronts almost constantly since 27, ive seen MAYBE 4 other assassins, on guardian AND defiant...

why do people hate it so much

Shadowlander

Due to its playstyle, Sin isn't very well suited towards Warfronts. It's a 1v1 soul that excels in World PvP but is boned if your target has any support.

Champion

its also not THAT good in dungeons due to high amount of melee aoe's bosses have,

I still like it tho!

Soulwalker

I play Sin in PVP with Marks for repelling shot and some ranged dps. Got tired of tab killing with ranged it was boring.

Soulwalker

It's great for world pvp but no so much for warfronts. I personally love the soul and use it to level with and world pvp with but in WF's once you blow your opener you're pretty much done, rather squishy and a massive target. lots of aoe means stealth breaks easy. It doesn't have enough burst to take down people with healers on them unlike sab where it's all burst and you can easily take out someone with 40% health in one 5 Finisher.

It's good for some situations like the vault in codex 1-2 assasins can hold it the whole game. and for protecting flag carriers.

You are right in we can pick our battles but im a assasin enthusiast and i hardly want to join a WF and wait around for 5 mins before picking off someone in the fight, i want to get into the fight and melt face.

Plus it's not as easy as SAB(And for the SAB fanboys that usually follow these threads, please. I play the soul, easy soul is easy.) to be good at. I dont personally think sab is overpowered it's just that it's rather easy and is our most viable pvp option at the moment.

Telaran

A lot of people like to "get in on the action" on a large scale. Assassin does not really allow for that, since it uses a lot of openers from stealth to initiate a fight with a promising outcome. Once in combat, Assassins can't stealth again, unless they have the 51 point ability which allows them to vanish in combat every 3 minutes - and it's not effective if you have DoTs on your, or if you're within range of being seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Keenly View Post
    Everyone and their mom wants to be marksman, which is fine, no big deal

all the people lacking in basic pvp skill are going sab, a tree which i have yet to touch

whats wrong with assassin ? can people not be patient and pick their battles or do they need to charge in head first every fight.

as a level 32, doing warfronts almost constantly since 27, ive seen MAYBE 4 other assassins, on guardian AND defiant...

why do people hate it so much

Here's why people hate it so much:

It's a dot-based spec. Which is amazing for 1v1 battles. HOWEVER, 99.99999% of PvP in the game is in Warfronts, where you're guaranteed to have a large degree of splash healing from Bards/Chloros and focus healing from Clerics.

The sad truth is, one bard strumming his splash heals pretty much negates your dot damage on a target, leaving you with subpar burst damage (read: banging head against a wall).

That's why you don't see so many Sins at 50. Most (who still wanted to play a Melee spec) rolled a more burst-oriented one.
    Officer of Legacy, Keenblade.

Prestige Rank 8 -- 4/10 HK -- Rogue

You don't see them because there still in the shadows.... waiting...

I guess I'll be one of few around at 50 (when I get there).
    Ralinblack - Faemist - Onineko - Assassin - LvL 50 - Rank 2
    Ralinsteel - Faemist - Onineko - Warrior - LvL 10 - Fear me!

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealDraxyl View Post
    unless they have the 51 point ability which allows them to vanish in combat every 3 minutes - and it's not effective if you have DoTs on your, or if you're within range of being seen.
    Its 31 pt ability. And having a dot on you doesnt matter if you have Hidden Veil which is..41-42? something like that.

I have played a Sin from the start. I have tried almost every spec out as main spec but nothing suits my play style more than Sin. So much damage, so much fun. I am a critting machine.

In WF's, i usually play bard due to playing with guild pre-mades and us needing healers. Sins dont excel in WF's anyway (but its fun to sneak around Codex and steal back flags asoon as people tag them and walk away)

In open world pvp Sins are king, generally always get the jump on people & if you get jumped then just use Slip Away & then re-gank.

Sure, when grinding you have to use drinks for health every 4-5 fights - but who cares? it takes less than 10 seconds and they cost 15 silver each.

Xsi

On PvP servers, Sin has far more use ;) Sin also has the highest opening combo-point maker (and comes with a stun or a super-bleed).

The higher level you go, the less of MM/Rangers (and even BDs) you'll see as a playstyle. Physical damage that does not auto-pass armor (and/or receive huge attack power boosts) is horrible since armor + health scales far better than physical damage rogues abilities.

The MM tree abilities / attack powers (from MM/Ranger) to help bypass armor does not scale DPS to buffs/healing/damage reducing/armor boost talents.
    Vow - <The Granite Guard> Dayblind (Guardian)
    Vow - Sunrest (Guardian)
    Master Outfitter, Master Butcher, and Master Fo-rager

Champion of Telara

Assassin works fine in the lower level WF's as long as people aren't higher level than you and can see you. Like any battle, you just have to play the role correctly, and make sure you have good timing.

Quote Originally Posted by Asyrin View Post
    Due to its playstyle, Sin isn't very well suited towards Warfronts. It's a 1v1 soul that excels in World PvP but is boned if your target has any support.
    I'm not sure that's true.

I play assassin pretty much exclusively in them all and besides Black Garden it works well. BG, it's just a big brawl and you can make it work... it's just you will probably die after you kill 1 person. I tend to go for the fang carrier or pick off healers in the back if possible. Sometimes I just go bard in BG tho.

All the others are great however, port scion specifically rocks.
    Celestian, 50: Assassin(51), Faeblight/Guardian
    http://www.greycouncil.US/

Soulwalker

I have played sin in WF since lv 10 and now i'm lv 44.

I think sin works really really well in WFs. Most of the AOE happens in the front line, and you should not be there period. My goal in any given WF is to be disruptive to healers.

Sin have insane burst damage and decent CC. My #1 target is bard and #2 target is cholor and #3 target is cleric.

Bard calls for burst damage follow by sustain damage. While you are on bard, you should use blind follow by foul play (i think that's the name) on the main single target healer. You want to control their healer either by CC or burst damage. You also want to keep them slowed so they will eventually fall behind from the main group.

I also find that you need to start the fight as early as possible. When the front line collide, you should be half way to the back line healer. You should be on the healer right about their 2nd heal cast. The longer you wait, the worse off your team is.

I would look for opportunity to restealth every chance you get, and I think its key to success as assassin. When you have done sufficient damage to the healer, you need to back up and restealth. Its really tempting to run into the front line after you disrupt the healer. But stay in the back line. You can usually incapacitate the 2nd wave of enemy after the initial battle.

It takes a lot of timing and good map sense. Basically, you need to learn how to survive in the back line w/out support. Slip away becomes much more important since its a skill that can give u insane bust damage or escape or control.

I have a lot of fun running sin in WF. Its really not that bad. At 44, my assassinate crits for 1k+ follow up w/ puncture, follow up with final blow that crits for 1500 to 1600. Or try this. Jagged strike, puncture, snare, impale, foul play, backstab, backstab, slip away, assassinate, final blow.

or incapacitate target 1 as they run up, stealth stun target 2, blind target 3, foul play target 4, slip away. and decide who you want to kill and wait for foul play to come back. It works really well to get them spread out.

have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by ralinsilver View Post
    You don't see them because there still in the shadows.... waiting...

I guess I'll be one of few around at 50 (when I get there).
    +1 sir, +1

I have a lot of fun running sin in WF. Its really not that bad. At 44, my assassinate crits for 1k+ follow up w/ puncture, follow up with final blow that crits for 1500 to 1600. Or try this. Jagged strike, puncture, snare, impale, foul play, backstab, backstab, slip away, assassinate, final blow.

I'd love to know how you do Assassinate that high.

I have currently all Purple gear from t1 dungeons and t2 PvP with a 27 dps purple dagger. I can crit with final blow in the 2200 area with all buffs running, but I've never seen above 600 on the Assassinate crit. THat's low enough damage at level 50 that opening with Paralyzing is just better...

Odd...
    Last edited by Satiar; 03-14-2011 at 02:06 PM.
    Officer of Legacy, Keenblade.

Prestige Rank 8 -- 4/10 HK -- Rogue

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast