+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PvP Problems

Default PvP Problems

So I've been having a lot of problems with PvP as I level up my rogue in RIFT. I am currently level 41, and I've participated in my fair share of WF's and world PvP, and to be honest, although I do a sick amount of damage, most of the time I will be dropped before the other person.

The main reason for this is the insane amount of CC spells this game has. Not only can I be stunned, rooted, silenced, disarmed, etc., but I have to deal with classes that have "blow back" spells, that send me flying 20 feet away from them.

Now, to be fair, I am not exactly PvP specc'd. I am heavy in to Blade Dancer right now with a bit in to assassin and a bit less in to rift stalker, but still, in other MMO's you could easily afford to be PvE, or even mixed spec, and get away with it. That however does not seem to be the case in this game. I feel like I have to be the one to get the "jump start" in order to win the duel, and that if I am attacked and not ready for it, there is absolutely no chance that I will win the fight in world PvP.

Anyone else having problems? Any solutions?

Soulwalker

I love playing a stealth rogue in most games but really don't like it on this one. I have really enjoyed sabo/riftstalker so far. I have just not been impressed with the melee damage on here and, from my experience, ranged just seems to do better damage.

One other thing that has really bothered me so far is the amount of pets that are around in every build and every class. I really wish they would dial back the pets a bit. I understand the warlock and hunter type builds having one, but to give a warrior with plate armor a pet to help tank with is a bit over the top.

Soulwalker

I also feel that range damage is simply better in this game.

But I actually really like the invis of the rogue here. The bonuses you get from taking the most out of invis fit perfectly to a deep assassin rogue

Plane Touched

You need to have 20 points into Riftstalker to PvP.

There is no other way to play melee. Too many classes have knockbacks, snare breakers, sprints, and stun breakers, but typically only 2 knock backs and 1 get away.

Having 3 gap closers makes it so you can stay on your target.

Solution is to not spec into the 2 worst souls the rogue class has to offer.

Sab or Bards are doing well. RS is a great secondary soul. If you insist on going melee at least go NB since they actually deal damage and have good cooldowns.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Fawks19 View Post
    So I've been having a lot of problems with PvP as I level up my rogue in RIFT. I am currently level 41, and I've participated in my fair share of WF's and world PvP, and to be honest, although I do a sick amount of damage, most of the time I will be dropped before the other person.

The main reason for this is the insane amount of CC spells this game has. Not only can I be stunned, rooted, silenced, disarmed, etc., but I have to deal with classes that have "blow back" spells, that send me flying 20 feet away from them.

Now, to be fair, I am not exactly PvP specc'd. I am heavy in to Blade Dancer right now with a bit in to assassin and a bit less in to rift stalker, but still, in other MMO's you could easily afford to be PvE, or even mixed spec, and get away with it. That however does not seem to be the case in this game. I feel like I have to be the one to get the "jump start" in order to win the duel, and that if I am attacked and not ready for it, there is absolutely no chance that I will win the fight in world PvP.

You can have multiple roles. You don't need to use the same spec for PvPing as you do for PvEing.

That said, those souls have plenty of utility. If you're heavy into BD, then you should have Flash of Steel, which will break snares and roots. And with 14 points in RS, you get Shadow Stalk, which will break stuns/roots/snares. With 16 points in RS, you can also get Shadow Assault, which would be useful when another player knocks you back (rather than wasting Shadow Stalk). At 20 points, you get Shadow Blitz, so you have yet another way to get to the player.

You've also got Side Steps for defense, Weapon Barrage for an interupt/silence and Maim for a snare. Plus Incapacitate and Stealth from the Sin soul.

I'm level 39 and I'm currently 21 BD / 21 RS / 10 NB and I do pretty well for myself in warfronts. World PvP can be a different story, as it depends a lot on who gets the jump on whom. And most people who kill others in world PvP are cowards anyway, only attacking when you are engaged with a mob or when you are at least several levels below them. If that happens, Side Steps, Disengage, Shadow Shift and Sprint, then come back and face the jerk on your own terms.

Yeah it seems that with my PvE spec you simply can't enjoy PvP. Obviously like some of you have previously stated it isn't that big of a deal with multiple souls, but I have found that what daays said is true, you absolutely need 20 points into riftsalker to PvP.. Unless you go heavy sab. You have to have ways to break CC and close the gap to your target or you're dead..

That being said I am freakin' loving my Rifstalker/Assassin build with the PvP soul as my 3rd soul just for the break CC skill. It's working out great, and although my damage isn't all that great, a lot of PvP is about simply outlasting your opponent.

I guess I really shouldn't have been QQ'n without buying another soul and researching another build.. it was just weird to me to be completely dominated without a PvP build due to all the damn CC in this game.

Anyway, thanks for all the tips/suggestions ^_^
    Fawks 50 Rogue ~Epidemic~

The way it is now you absolutely need your pvp soul .

Shadowlander

I don't have a pvp soul atm either but I have been pvping in my PvE role, 51 NB - 15 Sin - 0 BD for Living Flame funsies.

I have been doing relatively well in WFs and open world PvP. I beat most classes 1v1 and am usually in the top 3-5 damage done/killing blows in WFs.

NB has an insane amount of defensive cooldowns as well as insane damage output. Of course it's not the best PvP spec, far from it, but I'm doing fine in random WFs and world PvP.

Lots of people gank me just to find out they bit of more than they can chew when they are dead in about 6 seconds.

+ Reply to Thread