Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Level 50 Ranged PvE Builds --

Champion

Default Level 50 Ranged PvE Builds --

So, I've seen a few times people talking about Sabo PvE builds being the best ranged PvE dps soul for rogues currently. I've been trying to figure out a good ranged soul b/c of the unnecessary punishment melee souls take in this game. Can someone please provide me with an example of a sabo (or other ranged soul) that is working well in expert dungeons?

Thanks for any help

(currently I'm using 17sin / 47nb / 2bd and am having success with it, I just feel that melee is a burden on healers right now for no good reason if ranged can attain the same dps.)

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M....bVR0x0b.V0tzh

I know your melee build does more DPS, but this might work for you

I am currently level 48, averaging 500 dps sustained with this build, 400 in melee range

I didn't care for Marksman Spec, they nerfed it too hard according to my parses.

*Pets*
    -Raptor Pet for DPS
    -Boar for Tanking
    -Wolf sucks compared to the Raptor... ;)

*Buffs I use*
    -Pred Instincts - 46 AP
    -Lethal Poison - +5% crit on weap apply
    -Hellfire Blades - +5% dmg on weap apply

*Macros* - These allow auto switching between ranged and melee ranged abilities
    1. Spam (conceal, crippling shot, piercing shot, puncture, dusk strike, twilight force, primal strike, quick shot)
    2. 2 pt generator (conceal, shadow fire, splinter shot, puncture, dusk strike, fiery spike)
    3. Finisher (head shot, final blow)
    4. AOE (concussive blast, weapon flare)

*Skills used outside of macros*
    -Fiery Spike - 20y range try to maintain 3 stack on the mob at all times
    -Expose Weakness - Can use it while in stealth before you use Dark Malady, should only use it before you engage
    -Rejuvinate - I also have this on a mouse button, keeps the pet alive
    -Rain of Arrows...primary AOE move, I use the AOE macro once between Rain of Arrows cooldown

*Stealth/Conceal Hotbar*
    I put Dark Malady in the first and 2nd slot because that is the same number I use for my Spam and 2pt Macros... This makes it so I hit the spam macro, it shifts me to Concealed...I hit it again and it triggers Dark Malady to give a cheap 2 combo points and increase my dmg 20%

*Combat* your goal is to keep Fiery Spike up the entire fight
    1. Goto conceal/stealth
    2. Apply Expose Weakness only at the beginning (does not aggro the mob)
    3. hit #1 or #2 to cast Dark Malady
    4. hit Spam Macro and Fiery Spike
    5. finisher macro
    6. keep refreshing Fiery Spike then resume Spam macro feel free to mix in 2 pt. generator macro (haste, bleed)
    7. spam macro til 5 combo points
    8. finisher...etc.

*notes*
    -fiery spikes (20y range) to help build combo points and dots on the mobs, it stacks up to 3x...very good DPS, keep it up at 3 stacks at all times...so suggest simply refreshing it one time after each finisher.
    -this build does pretty sweet melee dps when the mob comes in range so when it gets to you..you don't have to kite/run.
    -puncture is pretty sweet for helping build combo points in melee range.
    -final blow hits freaking hard.
    -weapon flare is great for AOE when there are 6+ mobs otherwise use rain of arrows.
    Last edited by Kinien; 03-08-2011 at 11:53 AM.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Kinien View Post
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M....bVR0x0b.V0tzh

I know your melee build does more DPS, but this might work for you

I am currently level 48, averaging 500 dps sustained with this build, 400 in melee range

I didn't care for Marksman Spec, they nerfed it too hard according to my parses.

*Pets*
    -Raptor Pet for DPS
    -Boar for Tanking

*Buffs I use*
    -Pred Instincts - 46 AP

1. Spam (conceal, crippling shot, piercing shot, puncture, dusk strike, twilight force, primal strike, quick shot)
    2. 2 pt generator (conceal, shadow fire, splinter shot, puncture, dusk strike, fiery spike)
    3. Finisher (head shot, final blow)
    4. AOE (concussive blast, weapon flare)

-Expose Weakness - Can use it while in stealth before you use Dark Malady, should only use it before you engage
    -Rain of Arrows...primary AOE move, I use the AOE macro once between Rain of Arrows cooldown

*Stealth/Conceal Hotbar*
    I put Dark Malady in the first and 2nd slot because that is the same number I use for my Spam and 2pt Macros... This makes it so I hit the spam macro, it shifts me to Concealed...I hit it again and it triggers Dark Malady to give a cheap 2 combo points and increase my dmg 20%

1. Goto conceal/stealth
    5. finisher macro
    6. keep refreshing Fiery Spike then resume Spam macro feel free to mix in 2 pt. generator macro (haste, bleed)
    8. finisher...etc.

*notes*
    -fiery spikes (20y range) to help build combo points and dots on the mobs, it stacks up to 3x...very good DPS, keep it up at 3 stacks at all times...so suggest simply refreshing it one time after each finisher.
    -this build does pretty sweet melee dps when the mob comes in range so when it gets to you..you don't have to kite/run.
    -weapon flare is great for AOE when there are 6+ mobs otherwise use rain of arrows.
    and this is how spec discussion posts SHOULD look.

I played a heavy Ranger spec through about 35 or so, and did enjoy it quite a bit, maybe I'll give that guy another shot with my new shiny bow

Thanks for the great post.

(for a bit of clarity though, I'm not looking for hybrid builds (ie. melee/ranged), for solo'ing pve stuff I'm fine, I'm looking for high damage output expert dungeon builds, not taking away from your post at all because it does fall into that.)

My pleasure man, the only reason this build does decent dps up close is because they nerfed serrated blades, which forced me to blow the 3 extra points on melee dps in the assassin tree. I imagine marksman output could get higher, I am just waiting until level 50 because...all this parsing and screwing around is sucking down my Platnum. I want to secure my new mount right away at level 50, f'n turtle mount.

Weaving in the 2 point combo moves (Shadow Fire, Splinter Shot) gains only about 20 dps.

The Fiery Spike maintenance will provide 60-70 dps.

Champion

My pleasure man, the only reason this build does decent dps up close is because they nerfed serrated blades, which forced me to blow the 3 extra points on melee dps in the assassin tree. I imagine marksman output could get higher, I am just waiting until level 50 because...all this parsing and screwing around is sucking down my Platnum. I want to secure my new mount right away at level 50, f'n turtle mount.

Weaving in the 2 point combo moves (Shadow Fire, Splinter Shot) gains only about 20 dps.

The Fiery Spike maintenance will provide 60-70 dps.
    Ya, being a Nightblade aficionado I'm very well privy to the awesomeness that is the fiery spike dot

Champion

Anyone have any sabo builds that are performing on par in instances/raids?

Awesome thread, thanks for the useful info, especially about Fiery Spike and macros.

I have a question though: is there any way to make a macro with Hasten Call and summon? I tried, but it didn't work. When I activate macro, I get Hasten Call but then instead of summoning my pet it gives me the error message that I can have only one ability per macro. Any way to make it work?
    Last edited by Sehnsucht; 03-08-2011 at 06:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Sehnsucht is almost impossible to translate adequately and describes a deep emotional state.

Some more questions:
    1) Does Twilight Force add more DPS than another point in Melted Skin? I doubt that.
    2) What about Exposure and Blood Rage? Are they really better for DPS than Poison Potency (+ Poison Malice) or Unstable State? I'm especially doubtful about Exposure.
    Last edited by Sehnsucht; 03-08-2011 at 06:47 PM.
    Sehnsucht is almost impossible to translate adequately and describes a deep emotional state.

These are the specs and rotations I came up with so far:

Solo PvE spec as Marksman;
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...htRVzVu0o.V0xM

Rotation:
    1. Open up with Lightning Fury, followed by Barbed Shot (if target is melee)
    2. Swift Shot until 5 Combo Points are achieved and use Hasted Shot (assuming the target is still out of melee range, if not I would just use a melee finisher)

- For this build I keep the Lethal Poison and Hellfire Blades enchantments on at all times. Sometimes switching to Leeching Poison.

Raiding spec as Marksman;
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...hxoqzAubR.V0xz

In AoE situations I open up with a macro that uses Lightning Fury followed by Fan Out (spam)

Single target fight rotation:
    1. I open up with Lightning Fury followed by Expose Weakness
    2. Spam Swift Shot until 5 Combo Points are achieved and use Hasted Shot, rinse and repeat.

Rotation for Boss fights:
    1. I open up with Fiery Spike x3 (and try to keep it up at x3 at all times)
    2. Then Lightning Fury & Expose Weakness, and use a macro that utilizes Controlled Fire and Hit and Run.
    3. Then use Empowered Shot until 5 Combo Points are achieved then use Deadeye Shot, rinse & repeat until Hit and Run wears off
    4. Use Strafe and then Quick Reload, and repeat step 3 and 4 (minus Quick Reload) then go to step 5
    5. Swift Shot / Hasted Shot

- For this build I keep the Lethal Poison and Hellfire Blades enchantments on at all times.

PvP spec for Marksman; (note I do not use the PvP soul as I have not quite tested it out yet..);
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...htkVzqu0o.V0xz

1v1 PvP situation:

1. Use Conceal (or Stealth whichever)
    2. Open up with Lost Hope since it's a ranged version of Incapacitate. While still in stealth, I use Agility (Eth Racial skill) or in any other case I would use On the Double
    3. As I approach the target I'll use Paralyzing Strike then use Repelling Shot to get the target away.
    4. Now that I'm at good range I will use Strafe which by the end the enemy should be out of the stun.
    5. Use a macro that utilizes Hit and Run + Bull's Eye then use Deadheye Shot, then Empowered Shot until 5 Combo Points are achieved and use Deadeye Shot again.
    6. If the target is not dead just use Quick Reload and repeat the steps starting step 4, just be sure to use Close Quarters Combat if the enemy is melee. Should the enemy get close to you, just use Malicious Strike to slow them down.

- For this build I keep the Leeching Poison and Hellfire Blades enchantments on at all times.

So I spent 3 hours parsing tonight and I needed to make some adjustments

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M....bVR0x0b.V0xMh

This is a powerhouse for ranged DPS (my current spec) - I didn't care for Marksman Spec, they nerfed it too hard according to my parses.

*Pets*
    -Raptor Pet for DPS
    -Boar for Tanking

*Buffs I use*
    -Pred Instincts - 46 AP

1. Spam (conceal, piercing shot, puncture, dusk strike, primal strike, quick shot)
    2. Finisher (head shot, final blow)
    3. AOE (concussive blast, weapon flare)

*Stealth/Conceal Hotbar*

1. Goto conceal/stealth
    5. finisher macro
    6. keep refreshing Fiery Spike then resume Spam macro
    8. finisher...etc.

*notes*
    -average 540-550 dps ranged sustained, 400 melee range
    Last edited by Kinien; 03-08-2011 at 11:40 PM.

Crippling shot parsed to have a 50 percent miss rate...not good. Wonder if the parser gets confused because you can't snare a target dummy...its immune.

Twilight Force doesn't help dps, kinda hurts it.

Dont use the 2pt skills, seem to hurt dps... probably due to the 2.0/1.5 cast time... Shadow Fire is useful if you want a quick burst for a second, but it makes your dps dip down afterwards... it also plays hell with your ability to maintain Firey Spikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sehnsucht View Post
    Awesome thread, thanks for the useful info, especially about Fiery Spike and macros.

I have a question though: is there any way to make a macro with Hasten Call and summon? I tried, but it didn't work. When I activate macro, I get Hasten Call but then instead of summoning my pet it gives me the error message that I can have only one ability per macro. Any way to make it work?
    No you can't because when you cast Hasten Call it places a buff up on the screen and its awaiting input of which pet you want. When you hit the macro again it sees Hasten Call, but can't proceed past it until you consume your buff.

Quote Originally Posted by Sehnsucht View Post
    Some more questions:
    1) Does Twilight Force add more DPS than another point in Melted Skin? I doubt that.
    2) What about Exposure and Blood Rage? Are they really better for DPS than Poison Potency (+ Poison Malice) or Unstable State? I'm especially doubtful about Exposure.
    Unstable state sucks for this build, each enchant gives about 10-12 dps. Taking on percentages to that doesn't help much.

You need to remember that you want as many points in Ranger as you can to help keep your pet alive...each point invested lowers the damage your pet takes to AoE and raises the pets damage a tad. That raptor pet gives you so much dps because of its damage combined with prey on the weak. Without the pet alive your dps with drop down to 360 range with this build.

This is why I have a similar build with 44 ranger, 7 assassin, 15 nightblade for AOE heavy fights. This build pulls 500 dps with the same weapon rotation...rather than the 540-550 my previous post correction was.
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...soVz.0VM.V0xMh
    Last edited by Kinien; 03-08-2011 at 11:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by XxpeddyxX View Post
    I'm sorry but what OtD/Getaway, CQC and Static Shot have to do with raiding? Even with the loss of Controlled Fire, you can get more DPS from investing into NB damage increasers.

You need to remember that you want as many points in Ranger as you can to help keep your pet alive...each point invested lowers the damage your pet takes to AoE and raises the pets damage a tad.
    You're right, I didn't think about that.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast