+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: RS: Rift Guard vs. Rift Barrier ..... Can someone educate me which may be better?

  1. #1
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    East Coast of USA
    Posts
    159

    Default RS: Rift Guard vs. Rift Barrier ..... Can someone educate me which may be better?

    Hello Fello Rifties,

    Can someone educate me which one would be more beneficial during PVE or PVP or overall etc ... I realize there are a lot of variables but any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks in advcnce,

    G

  2. #2
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    211

    Default

    Here's a general rule of thumb: for Riftstalker tanks, Rift Guard is much better and much more important. Rift Barrier is at most a placeholder so you live long enough to get Rift Guard up.

    For dps focused melee rogues who have Riftstalker as secondary, the reverse tends to be true: Rift Barrier is a nice defensive buff that helps you live long enough to wipe stuff out, while Rift Guard works against your dps, since you're doing no damage with your finisher. This implies that you're using rift abilities to start combat - otherwise of course, Rift Barrier is useless. But a dps using a Riftstalker secondary can do very nicely with Rift Barrier, Stalker Phase, Ruthless Stalker, and of course Rift Scavenger, provided you can put up with Rift porting bug.

  3. #3
    RIFT Guide Writer Ninjahax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,219

    Default

    Well, that was a short thread.

  4. #4
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    East Coast of USA
    Posts
    159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maxlongstreet View Post
    Here's a general rule of thumb: for Riftstalker tanks, Rift Guard is much better and much more important. Rift Barrier is at most a placeholder so you live long enough to get Rift Guard up.

    For dps focused melee rogues who have Riftstalker as secondary, the reverse tends to be true: Rift Barrier is a nice defensive buff that helps you live long enough to wipe stuff out, while Rift Guard works against your dps, since you're doing no damage with your finisher. This implies that you're using rift abilities to start combat - otherwise of course, Rift Barrier is useless. But a dps using a Riftstalker secondary can do very nicely with Rift Barrier, Stalker Phase, Ruthless Stalker, and of course Rift Scavenger, provided you can put up with Rift porting bug.
    Excellent! Thanks so much for the info. My first class is a Ranger with RS second so I DPS targets down. So it looks like Rift Barrier for me.

    Many thanks,

    G

  5. #5
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    368

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gueneveve View Post


    Excellent! Thanks so much for the info. My first class is a Ranger with RS second so I DPS targets down. So it looks like Rift Barrier for me.

    Many thanks,

    G
    One thing to note here. Since you are primarily ranged, the phase shifts that put you behind your target (Shadow Assault, Shadow Stalk, Shadow Blitz) won't really be of use to you. You can use Shadow Stalk on friendly targets to move away, provided one exists, but the times you'll be able to use it are rare.

    So that really only leaves Shadow Shift unless you go high enough into the soul to get Shadow Warp (26 points). Shadow Shift moves you 15 meters in a straight line. It would be useful while kiting or to get yourself back to range.

    On the other hand, Rift Guard can be used from range. Though if you don't plan on putting at least 21 points into RS, I probably wouldn't recommend that either. 21 points in RS along with Rift Guard and Imp Rift Guard would give you 20% absorb up to 60% of your HP over 30 seconds for 1 combo point. It would take 2 seconds to put up as opposed to 1 for Rift Barrier (15% absorb up to 60% of HP over 15 secs).

    Is that worth it to you? Don't know. As ranged, I would lean toward Rift Guard, but honestly, I probably wouldn't take either one. There are better ways to mitigate damage.

  6. #6
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    East Coast of USA
    Posts
    159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Absalon View Post
    One thing to note here. Since you are primarily ranged, the phase shifts that put you behind your target (Shadow Assault, Shadow Stalk, Shadow Blitz) won't really be of use to you. You can use Shadow Stalk on friendly targets to move away, provided one exists, but the times you'll be able to use it are rare.

    So that really only leaves Shadow Shift unless you go high enough into the soul to get Shadow Warp (26 points). Shadow Shift moves you 15 meters in a straight line. It would be useful while kiting or to get yourself back to range.

    On the other hand, Rift Guard can be used from range. Though if you don't plan on putting at least 21 points into RS, I probably wouldn't recommend that either. 21 points in RS along with Rift Guard and Imp Rift Guard would give you 20% absorb up to 60% of your HP over 30 seconds for 1 combo point. It would take 2 seconds to put up as opposed to 1 for Rift Barrier (15% absorb up to 60% of HP over 15 secs).

    Is that worth it to you? Don't know. As ranged, I would lean toward Rift Guard, but honestly, I probably wouldn't take either one. There are better ways to mitigate damage.
    Hmmmm ... Well I need to think about this some more. Here is my build so far:

    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...0kMz.xhxhho0zz

    I like it and its fun. My basic idea is to DPS them down with Range and if they get close to me I have enough defense and damage output to take them down the rest of the way. Any suggestions are greatly apprecited.

    Thanks again,

    G

  7. #7
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    368

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gueneveve View Post


    Hmmmm ... Well I need to think about this some more. Here is my build so far:

    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...0kMz.xhxhho0zz

    I like it and its fun. My basic idea is to DPS them down with Range and if they get close to me I have enough defense and damage output to take them down the rest of the way. Any suggestions are greatly apprecited.

    Thanks again,

    G
    Work blocks Zam, so I can't check your build, but if you want to go into RS I would suggest Planar Refuge, though that will cost 21 points. Also, you could go with Bladedancer as your 3rd soul. Without any points in it, you get Side Steps which gives 50% dodge for 15 seconds. For 11 points, you can get Sprint.

    Actually, I take back one thing I said. If you are rooted/snared/stun in melee range, then Shadow Stalk will be helpful as it will get you free, then you can use your other abilities to get away. So in that case, Rift Barrier may be of some benefit, but it will still be very situational. As long as you are at range you probably won't be using it.

  8. #8
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    East Coast of USA
    Posts
    159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Absalon View Post
    Work blocks Zam, so I can't check your build, but if you want to go into RS I would suggest Planar Refuge, though that will cost 21 points. Also, you could go with Bladedancer as your 3rd soul. Without any points in it, you get Side Steps which gives 50% dodge for 15 seconds. For 11 points, you can get Sprint.

    Actually, I take back one thing I said. If you are rooted/snared/stun in melee range, then Shadow Stalk will be helpful as it will get you free, then you can use your other abilities to get away. So in that case, Rift Barrier may be of some benefit, but it will still be very situational. As long as you are at range you probably won't be using it.
    Hi Absalon,

    Thanks again, until you can check the build I have a 24 Ranger / 22 RS / 20 SIN. I tried to make it really balanced with Ranged DPS still being primary. I like the idea of the poisons in the SIN tree "Proccing" and for the heals of Leeching Poison. That along with the healing buffs in RS make it a natural fit without having to be a Bard. Plus adding the "Scavenging" from RS should work out nice, well at least on the computer screen it does. You will see it when you look at it. I have been meticulously "within my ability" piecing together this build for my play style.

    Again any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

    G

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts