+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rogue Soloing (Questing, PVE, etc.)

Default Rogue Soloing (Questing, PVE, etc.)

I played Ranger spec up until my mid 20s (36 now), so it took me a little bit to figure this out - how the heck do you get anything done without spending 13 points in Riftstalker for Rift Scavenger as a Rogue without a pet? The natural out of combat health regeneration is atrocious, you have to sit there and drink very 4 mobs. =\ I'm currently using a Bladedancer/Assassin build with the 13 points in Riftstalker and it's working great but I just feel slightly gimped by having to get Rift Scavenger. I wish it could at least be a tier 1 or tier 2 talent instead of tier 3.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Teddiursa View Post
    I played Ranger spec up until my mid 20s (36 now), so it took me a little bit to figure this out - how the heck do you get anything done without spending 13 points in Riftstalker for Rift Scavenger as a Rogue without a pet? The natural out of combat health regeneration is atrocious, you have to sit there and drink very 4 mobs. =\ I'm currently using a Bladedancer/Assassin build with the 13 points in Riftstalker and it's working great but I just feel slightly gimped by having to get Rift Scavenger. I wish it could at least be a tier 1 or tier 2 talent instead of tier 3.
    Bard - ranger spec is your friend

Shadowlander

I just went through this dilemma as well.. the early 30's loss of your 'ol reliable Ranger tank pet. (I tried the wolf pet but its garbage for agro.)

Solution: 12 pts in bard. Motif of regen plus some other damage goodies, +15% runspeed (helps a lot when moving between mobs with no time mount up), extra hp pool, etc. Basically removes all downtime associated with soloing.
    Last edited by Dairuin; 03-03-2011 at 08:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dairuin View Post
    I just went through this dilemma as well.. the early 30's loss of your 'ol reliable Ranger tank pet. (I tried the wolf pet but its garbage for agro.)

Solution: 12 pts in bard. Motif of regen plus some other damage goodies, +15% runspeed (helps a lot when moving between mobs with no time mount up), extra hp pool, etc. Basically removes all downtime associated with soloing.
    Well, having to spend 12 points in a secondary soul isn't much better than having to spend 13 points.

Shadowlander

My personal solo build is now Sab/Bard. Time bomb + 5 charges (all without agro) generally takes 80% of a level-appropriate mob's hp. Followed by another charge or 2, det and time bomb often gets the kill shot. Mobs die in 10 seconds or less, rinse repeat. Motif of regen keeps your hps topped off.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Teddiursa View Post
    Well, having to spend 12 points in a secondary soul isn't much better than having to spend 13 points.
    True, but like I said, the Bard gets you some other goodies that all directly help with soloing (motifs for crit chance, dps, runspeed) as well as the constant hot. More than you get for the same points in RS, imo.

Soulwalker

I don't feel that speccing into a goodsized chunk of free healing is gimping yourself at all.

Shadowlander

Also, if you're counting on Rift Scavenger to keep your hps up while soloing, it's coming at the cost of dps / kill speed, since you're leaving combo points. Surely you will have killed that mob faster by optimizing your abilities. No need to wait with Bard.
    Last edited by Dairuin; 03-03-2011 at 08:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dairuin View Post
    Also, if you're counting on Rift Scavenger to keep your hps up while soloing, it's coming at the cost of dps / kill speed, since you're leaving combo points. Surely you will have killed that mob faster by optimizing your abilities.
    Maybe two seconds faster, but never having any downtime is worth it.

Keep in mind the 5 points in rift stalker raises your attack power by 15%.

So you are really only 'wasting' 8 points.

And of those 8 points you are spending 3 to get a 30% healing increase, which is useful in all sorts of situations. Suddenly the passive scatter healing you get in rifts is a lot better.
    Last edited by Vabjekf; 03-03-2011 at 08:44 AM.

+ Reply to Thread