+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rogue souls for leveling, and in general.

Rift Chaser

Default Rogue souls for leveling, and in general.

Just made a rogue, what is the best leveling soul? A little general info would be nice, specially if you got advice. I took assasin as the first soul, but not at all sure if its good or not. What should I take for solo leveling?

Telaran

Pure solo pve go ranger so you have a pet .

Rift Chaser

Ahh yea, I seen some rangers. I would like to make a melee character tho. I know ranger is suppose to be really good to level with. But what about melee rogues?

If you're dead set on melee just take the ranger soul at 0 points for the pet.
    It can still tank for you while you dps down the mob.
    A lot of people are having success with Bladedancer but that may not work so well with a tank pet since you wont be dodging or parrying.
    Maybe he just wanted to steal our wire cutters. You ever think of that?

honestly I took ranger and put no points into it, just used it for the pet and it served me really well,.. only at 31 did I drop ranger to focus more on the spec I wanted then I just bought a 2nd role and setup the ranger there just in case I wanted it again. The pet might not be much but it helps alot when leveling to have a tank pet covering for you, at least in leveling,.. come PVP people will just ignore it lol

Telaran

I think even with a melee build, 0-4 pts in the Ranger soul would make your downtime almost non-existant. Just send the razorbeast in and follow behind, he should be able to keep aggro off you for most of the fight, keeping you from having to constantly heal in between fights. 4 pts would get you 4% crit and a pet heal to quicken things even further.

This is just for solo PvE though. It won't be that good for group PvE or PvP but that's what multiple roles are for, eh?

Telaran

Ranger to 30

This at 30
    Riftstalker (13) / Bladedancer (27) / Assassin (0)
    Last edited by Ravenshroud; 03-03-2011 at 08:02 AM.

take ranger and bard, put points into bard first so you can get the heal effect on cadence and then go to 12 if you want to get motif of regeneration, then level up your ranger from there, you will be a god of pve.
    If my guild tag is red to you, then your already dead...

Ranger is one way to do it, but it's not the ONLY way.

Bard/Nightblade actually works pretty well, especially if you pull 3-4 mobs whenever possible. Bard's single target DPS isn't as high as other rogue souls, but you make up for it by never having downtime, killing multiple mobs at once, having better movement (once you improve the runspeed anthem) and being able to do crazy stuff once you pick up Virtuoso.

Blade Dancer with points in Assassin and Riftstalker is also very effective. You eventually want 17 points in Assassin and 13 in Riftstalker with everything else in Blade Dancer. There are lots of variations or preferences on where to actually invest the points, but the build works like this- Use puncture, precision strike, quick strike, keen strike and the two BD reactives to build combo points. You have 4 finishers that give 60 second buffs that you want to keep up (False Blade, Dauntless Strike, Annihilate, Guarded Steel). You also want to watch your health and make sure to have combo points on your target when it dies if you need to heal. This build lets you just chain-kill nonstop. Even if it's single target DPS isn't quite as high as an assassin build, it has much better survivability, better cooldowns, and you don't have to worry about stealth and multiple targets as much.

Ranger works fine, but if you don't want to be one of the millions of rogues running around with a pig, give these other two a shot. Or try a sab build, or anything else for that matter. There are lots of viable rogue leveling builds.

<Ascendant> 13/13 Seastone Defiant

Telaran

Nightblade can work pretty well with the ranger pet (though I hear the pet stops leveling at 30, so not sure what to do after that). You don't need to start with stealth, you get a nice ranged attack to open with, and the dot you start with can be used until you get into melee range.

For leveling I recommend at least 12 points in Bard for Motif of Regeneration and Cadence heal, it practically eliminates downtime and helps you in a tight spot when you get mobbed by adds. The rest you can put whatever DPS soul you prefer, and it sounds to me like Nightblade or Assassin might be what you're looking for.

Soulwalker

I leveled as Nightblade from about 35 and on, It works out pretty well and has a ridiculous amount of CD's for any trouble you run into

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...VIxRhqgMss.x0b

Is the build i use for grinding at level 50, Would take the points out of Bladedancer to start with, mostly just used for the 50% dodge CD

Rift Guard and then all the average talents in the Nightblade tree like Enkindle

If you need health just kill a mob with 5 Combo points left, Ebon fury works great for this, you just start spamming Dusk Strike on lower health targets

Its great at soloing and its great at handling any extra mobs you may pick up, Between all the CD's you get about 30 seconds of "Immunity" because the 50% dodge buff may as well be 100% for how much you avoid
    Last edited by Tilano; 03-03-2011 at 08:21 AM.

+ Reply to Thread