+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Being an effective Melee Rogue in Warfronts

Plane Touched

Default Being an effective Melee Rogue in Warfronts

I've gone through a combination of specs and talents looking for a durable melee rogue that can kill quickly and have enough utility to either continue fighting or sneak away after taking out a healer. So far my testing has tried a variety of soul combinations with little success. In previous games (WAR/WoW/AC) I've done really well in melee combat as a stealth based class.

Now I'm not talking about world PVP. I'm mostly speaking in reference to warfronts. I have no problems getting Killing Blows but it seems durability/utility and overall damage are very underwhelming. Right now I'm running an Assassin/Nightblade/Marksman spec that's deep into assassin.

I'm aware that my current spec is flawed as I wanted to get into improved stealth and flame axe:
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0MfMi..RV0stor0z.i0xo

I would like to provoke some discussion as to what would be the ideal Warfront Melee Rogue build and see if we can come up with something that has durability, stealth and the ability to kill with a quickness.

Prophet of Telara

Well, remember that we aren't balanced equally at every level of the game...I'm going to guess that you're not super high level yet, which is when we really start to shine according to others. Not to mention, only having 30 seconds to find a target due to no perma-stealth is tricky at best.

I've only done the first WF so far, but with a spec similar to yours. I was able to kill people semi-fast, but the problem in Black Gardens is that it's a cluster****. I understand the later WF's to not be quite so small. The thing to keep in mind here is that a lot of people out there are doing AoE damage...maybe they do 50 to two different targets, while you do 75 to one target. You're going to bring one down faster, but they are going to do 25% more DPS than you...it doesn't mean you aren't doing good or doing your job, it just means that we are single-target DPS.

What this translates to is that you need to take out targets of opportunity. That mage sitting safely in the back nuking your homies? Take him out...I'd say I was generally dropping mages in 6 seconds(4 of which they were stunned) with PS, build some combos(SS/BS), smack them with snare as soon as stun wears off, and then final blow generally did it. All those pet spamming ranged rogues? Same deal...they'll take a tad longer to kill, but they need to die.

Unless they suck, you'll probably not be taking down tanks or clerics alone, but that doesn't mean you can't help. That idiot warrior with tons of HP and good healing bunny hopping behind your line as a "distraction" to your team? Use you're stun/snare so that they can take him down. You'd be surprised how effective this seems to be at low levels...I've watched my whole team chase these idiots around and I'm the only one who will go stun/snare them so that they can kill him. Any time I rushed to flank the enemy and didn't take the time to stun/snare these people, my team would get picked off one by one by all of the ranged enemies every time because they were too busy chasing some **** around.

So yeah...you aren't going to top the scoreboard in WF as an assassin, but you'll know if you did your part to help the team or not. I just wish that the 50% healing debuff was in the assassin line instead of the NB line to help with the clerics...
    Last edited by Calo; 03-03-2011 at 07:54 AM.

Shadowlander

Calo is correct that there are balancing issues while leveling. If pvp the assassin really shines (as well as it can) when you get slip away. It let's you back away if you get in over your head. Although since I played it last I think they changed it up and will have to test it. This is what I'm looking at when I hit 31 and it gives me a lot of survivability along with some decent damage. I do want to try out assassin with riftstalker and then with nightblade. Each have their own twist.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0MVMp.xbd.0ARbtsoodbo

Effective
    Melee
    Warfront
    Rogue

Pick 3 of these.
    Last edited by Teddiursa; 03-03-2011 at 10:31 AM.

Prophet of Telara

Prysm, I think you'll find that Assassin with RS is very nice. I'm currently Assassin/RS/NB. I won't grab any of the shift-buffs from RS though since they currently break stealth, but the passive survivability and AF buff finisher along with guardian phase will all help survivability a lot. NB I mostly grabbed for damage...+15% combo builder and finishers is huge, and then 2 points for the HF Blade upgrade adds another 5% damage when it procs...so it really boosts assassin damage if you ask me.

Build should give me great damage, a few ways to escape, pretty good defense (enough to tank in guardian phase probably), and shifts which I have found invaluable so far in WF for escaping, and I imagine the offensive ones will help make attacking faster instead of spending so long trying to flank as well. I think it will be a nice build in the end, although I REALLY want the level 40 NB ability to cut heals in half lol...just can't manage it while getting what I want in assassin...

The biggest problem with this build is that it can be hard to keep endo high enough to use special attacks in long fights...but I'd have to get BD in there to do something about that. Hard to sacrifice any of what I got...either lose a good portion of spike damage or lose a ton of defense and shifting...neither seems acceptable....
    Last edited by Calo; 03-03-2011 at 10:38 AM.

+ Reply to Thread