+ Reply to Thread

Thread: So in pvp if we dont get the opener we're screwed?

Shadowlander

Default So in pvp if we dont get the opener we're screwed?

Basically as the title says. I've ran a number of specs on beta and on live and the recurring theme is that if a guardian decides to gank me while im on mobs, its lights out. Warriors especially have ridiculous damage/lockdown and can kill me with multiple 500-1k crits, clerics if I ever manage to get them low can shield and heal relatively easily (which is annoying when they actually do really good dps).

This is mainly a world PvP question as its easy to stay at 30 yards and spam charges as sabo in BG's. I just feel so useless if someone gets the drop on me. Horribly 1-sided.

Eh, it's 1v1. Try not to concern yourself too much with that.
    If you're a non-healing class, don't EXPECT to win a duel VS. A healer. If you play it right and/or have a means of recovery yourself, it's doable but don't count on it. If they couldn't heal through 1 persons damage, how could they possibly be expected to keep people up in warfronts when there's 10 people taking damage at once?

As for warriors. I've seen lots of videos of sins and night blades beating them, so it's certainly doable. Look into alternative specs?
    Dear Africa, you helped me write this...

as far as I know, it is precisely this that keeps rogues from being op. well, except for sabos...

Rift Chaser

Do you have any defensive abilities at all? If someone attacks you while you are fighting a mob, it's going to be really hard to win regardless. But there are plenty of abilities that will help you survive and get away. Sprints, phase shifts, slip away, stuns, roots, snares, damage absorbs/reducers, etc.

Make sure you have at least one ability that will break snares, stuns and roots, and at least one ability that will help you get away. Once you've escaped, heal up and then go back and kill the guy on your terms.

Side Steps is your best friend
    Reflex - Cleric
    Prank - Mage
    Uck - Rogue

Quote Originally Posted by Drakedog
    how does a french PvP server work?.... do you all just take turns surrendering?

Blind/Vanish -> run a few meters -> change to bard soul -> win -> continue grinding mobs.

Soulwalker

If you assassin you can just hit foul play -> slip away -> then use your opener, but then again, the world doesn't always work out perfectly like that. It's always good to have back up plans. There's nothing wrong about "tactically repositioning" yourself, or in simpler terms... retreating

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Eh, it's 1v1. Try not to concern yourself too much with that.
    If you're a non-healing class, don't EXPECT to win a duel VS. A healer. If you play it right and/or have a means of recovery yourself, it's doable but don't count on it. If they couldn't heal through 1 persons damage, how could they possibly be expected to keep people up in warfronts when there's 10 people taking damage at once?

As for warriors. I've seen lots of videos of sins and night blades beating them, so it's certainly doable. Look into alternative specs?
    I'd agree with you on the healing point, if they were specced into full healer. However they're dps specced and focused, I really dont think they should be able to outheal then.

Think I might go into nightblade, but that has even fewer ways of getting away. Im bladedancer atm and I just drop whenever im attacked first, even if I rotate my disarm/stun (against melee). Casters can generally outheal too. I obv try to sprint away, or go head to head with side steps, but most levelling specs either have a way to catch up or will have me so low by the time im able to react it doesnt even matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Killhim View Post
    Blind/Vanish -> run a few meters -> change to bard soul -> win -> continue grinding mobs.
    Not an assassin, found it a much slower leveller than bladedancer when I tried it last. Is bard really that good? When I tried it on beta any necro warlock/cleric outhealed it easily and warriors just outdamage the healing. It only felt like a good spec vs other rogues ironically.
    Last edited by Shamh; 03-03-2011 at 08:22 AM.

Soulwalker

Even if you get the opener on certain classes, you're are still screwed. If a healer so much as throws a shield on the person your trying to kill, you're screwed. If it is more than one person you're screwed. If its a riftblade you're screwed. If its any ranged class and you didnt get an opener and dont have a teleport you're screwed.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Jukez View Post
    Even if you get the opener on certain classes, you're are still screwed. If a healer so much as throws a shield on the person your trying to kill, you're screwed. If it is more than one person you're screwed. If its a riftblade you're screwed. If its any ranged class and you didnt get an opener and dont have a teleport you're screwed.
    Thats what it feels like to me :<.

Shadowlander

Complain at 50. Im a nightblade and I get ganked when on mobs all the time by healers and I proceed to kill set mob then melt healer face. 50% reduction in healing wins every time

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Shamh View Post
    Thats what it feels like to me :<.
    Now imagine being a healer on a PvP server, where every time you turn around, there's an assassin type destroying you. If you play like an assassin, you'll rarely have problems. Keep an eye on your surroundings, and if you have a feeling that there's an enemy nearby, don't pull the next mob, just go stealth and look around. Sometimes you just can't help it, and you'll die, but that's part of playing on a PvP server.

You can't always be a winner, just deal with it and lick your wounds. The wonderful thing about being a rogue, is you've got 2 stealth specs, and 1 with perma stealth, and stealth movement speed increases.

+ Reply to Thread