+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Thoughts on this spec: Marks/Night Blade/Assassin?

Default Thoughts on this spec: Marks/Night Blade/Assassin?

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...M.EbzoVz0h.0VM

I started the game as marksman and enjoyed it, but eventually took up Bard to try it out. My secondary spec is sabo as I pvp'd with that for awhile and I just bought my third roll slot and made the above spec in a couple minutes.

My intention at first was simply to have a Marks spec available again and I had just unlocked assassin and night blade so I popped them in for the heck of it. I've now used this build in both pve and pvp, and I kind of like the hybrid feel of it but I'm not real sure how effective it truly is. Starting in stealth for a dark malady, then hit n run and insta empowered shot > dead eye is kind of fun in both pve and pvp.

Pvp-wise I don't have many survival tools, but being able to use both melee and ranged and pack a decent punch (or seeming too anyway) with both is kind of fun. I've already had encounter's where a target I was meleeing would throw out a slow or snare and attempt to kite me, only to get a face full of dead eye shot and insta empowered shot. I've had the opposite happen as well with an opponent trying to get in melee to stop my ranged attacks only to get beat with my axes.

It seems to confuse people when closing or increasing the gap has no effect on the damage they are taking. But as I said I only just started using the spec and pointed it out in a few minutes so - any comments or critiques? Possible improvements for such a hybrid build? or am I simply just gimping my self here.

(this is for group based pve and pvp, not soloing obviously)
    Last edited by Erravi; 03-03-2011 at 05:24 AM.

Looks fine but Keen Eye? I'd never dump 5 points into that when you could have 5/5 Increased Fire Power. Marksman is supposed to be moving around shooting. There is no practical way to manage those 5 extra meters during PvP. I suppose I could find a use but it's pretty situational.
    Last edited by baph; 03-03-2011 at 06:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by baph View Post
    Looks fine but Keen Eye? I'd never dump 5 points into that when you could have 5/5 Increased Fire Power. Marksman is supposed to be moving around shooting. There is no practical way to manage those 5 extra meters during PvP. I suppose I could find a use but it's pretty situational.
    Yeah I suppose that's true, I mainly took it because a range increase is a fairly quantitive addition and I'm simply not sure how much AP really translates into Damage. (particularly after reading a warriors test showing 150 AP yielding little appreciable increase). I shall give it a try though once I have more then a gold on me.. Training three rolls is pricey T.T

I'm going to take serrated blades next I think to buff my melee strikes. Interesting note, I've found the Ranged attack dead zone is shorter then Melee range, so I can position myself easily (more so in pve) to allow any of my attacks to be usable.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by baph View Post
    Really.....I find Keen Eye comes in very handy in PvP. Places like codex where your range is greater than the opposition is huge...either they sit there and get pounded without being able to retaliate, or you force them to move back, diminishing their ability to pew pew down into the melee pit.

Kiting is another point. When many of the melees ranged abilities are only 20M, and Keen Eye gives all your ranged attacks the ability to use from 32-35 meters instead....you have a much bigger kiting advantage, which is really what the MM is all about in PvP.

I should also add, that countless times, when I get a runner low on health going back to safety of their group, that extra 5 meters gave me the chance to finish him off, where otherwise I would have to pull up earlier, or face certain death chasing him farther.

Quote Originally Posted by Napper View Post
    Really.....I find Keen Eye comes in very handy in PvP. Places like codex where your range is greater than the opposition is huge...either they sit there and get pounded without being able to retaliate, or you force them to move back, diminishing their ability to pew pew down into the melee pit.

Kiting is another point. When many of the melees ranged abilities are only 20M, and Keen Eye gives all your ranged attacks the ability to use from 32-35 meters instead....you have a much bigger kiting advantage, which is really what the MM is all about in PvP.

I should also add, that countless times, when I get a runner low on health going back to safety of their group, that extra 5 meters gave me the chance to finish him off, where otherwise I would have to pull up earlier, or face certain death chasing him farther.

This was basically my thinking in taking it. Though given I'm goin for a hybrid build and likely to be in close anyway there may be merit to going for burst. ATM I do take shots from afar in certain circumstances, but my typical strategy (when I feel it's safe to do so) is to run at the opponent while shooting, closing the gap quickly with basted shot and once in range I alternate abilities based on the inevitable melee dance: In close = melee combos, if one of us gets to far out =pop a deadeye or hasted.

As said earlier it seems to confuse some opponents when I don't follow the typical strategy of the role they assumed I was (pure ranged or melee).

I just wish I had a vanish type escape-to-stealth defensive choice.

You really need to fetch strafe, this build demands you are level 32, so you can get it, strafe solves all the worlds problems, at 32 as well you get the ability that puts everything off cooldown so you can hit double strafes.
    If my guild tag is red to you, then your already dead...

Quote Originally Posted by Enerzeal View Post
    You really need to fetch strafe, this build demands you are level 32, so you can get it, strafe solves all the worlds problems, at 32 as well you get the ability that puts everything off cooldown so you can hit double strafes.
    I was under the impression strafe had been badly nerfed? Shall give it a try though, thanks for the tip.

+ Reply to Thread