+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ranger pet dps pitiful....

Thumbs down Ranger pet dps pitiful....

as title really.

the wolf is a joke, doesnt do anything, if you fart it loses agrro.
    the boar, oh god i wish i could change the skin i really do, its fugly.
    improved wolf.....5% miss? /sigh i was kinda hoping for a better dps talent for it..

raptor...is useful but at the top of the tree most wont go this far in and favour other specs.

ive specced to increase pet and my dps, with bleeds, headshot buff, but on its own, whilst i admit it can tank well (the boar) it simply at higher levels cannot hit anywhere near useful damage on pve or pvp targets.

any chance of a minor buff to pet dps please? im not asking for massive increases, but somewhere above pitiful would be nice! in pvp its nothing more than an annoyance, i dont actually bother to kill other ranger pets on me anymore, its not worth the effort.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    Oh, yeah, how dare we cite to something that is more accurate than Britannica.
    "Seebs, on Wikipedia's Accuracy"

-According to a Facebook quiz, I'm a genius.

Wolf will never hold aggro, it's not a tank pet.
    And the Lord spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.

Rift Disciple

The Wolf won't hold aggro as it's a dps pet.
    The Boar won't do much damage because it's a tank pet.

Sounds to me like you need to swap your pets around.

Boar pet isnt meant for damage. It is meant to tank, which you admit, it holds aggro just fine. The wolf is your DPS pet to use while in groups if you dont/cant use your raptor, it isnt meant to hold threat unless you wait 10 seconds between every pull for divert rage.

I can agree that the greater dire wolfs debuff seems lack luster for a dps pet, but at the same time, it then gives us some utility to the group.

In regards to pvp, I dont think they are ever going to make pets insanely strong. A game which will be left unsaid, let this happen once before, and they eventually nerfed it because it was just alittle overpowered for a pet to put out such heavy dps, while able to survive.

/signed

If a pet holds agro it is not supposed to do damage. If it does damage it is not supposed to haold agro.
    If you do not go far into the tree you should not get a good pet as that would beat the point of a petclass.

Rogues that do not go to far into the Ranger tree get lots of dps options from other souls. Asking for a pet that holds agro for your Rogue dps is just silly imho.

Quote Originally Posted by Mucera View Post
    /signed

If a pet holds agro it is not supposed to do damage. If it does damage it is not supposed to haold agro.
    If you do not go far into the tree you should not get a good pet as that would beat the point of a petclass.

Rogues that do not go to far into the Ranger tree get lots of dps options from other souls. Asking for a pet that holds agro for your Rogue dps is just silly imho.
    first off im not asking for a pet to hold aggro for rogue dps.

im asking for a pet that can dps in some meaningful way full stop.

the wolf pet dps is subpar, even when compared to the boar they are so similar its barely worth switching other than for the taunt on the boar.

my complaint is, if you seperate the pets as dps and tank, then surely one should surpass the other in dps! but they dont!! and they tickle in pvp, that needs addressing for Rangers.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    Oh, yeah, how dare we cite to something that is more accurate than Britannica.
    "Seebs, on Wikipedia's Accuracy"

They really don't need to be good dps.
    Rangers need to have balanced dps including the pet, if you make the pet do more dps you have to take some away from the Ranger to make up for it.

This means that in any situation where your pet is unable to dps your dps goes down more.
    Personally I'd rather have the pet there as utility and have most of my damage come from me than a NPC with shady AI.
    Maybe he just wanted to steal our wire cutters. You ever think of that?

I've also changed up using my pet wolf in the warfronts. The damage is negligible and they die nearly instantly, so the healing debuff they apply is pretty much useless. The boar lasts alot longer, and actually seems to do more dps than the wolf in any situation for me. I've yet to find a really good use for the wolf. The boar might be ugly, but it's my go-to pet for everything really, and he's starting to grow on me.

I'm only lvl 30 though, things might change. I have the greater wolf, I can't wait to get my greater boar.
    And the Lord spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it.

I just got the Greater Dire Wolf last night and did a little testing in Overwatch Keep. I was level 25 and had 22 pts in Ranger.

The boar was hitting for 19s or 48s on a level 19 green mob consistently.
    The Greater DW was hitting for 28s or 65-76s on the same level/name mob.

To me that isn't much of an increase from a tank pet to a dps pet. If the dps was higher I would take the extra risk of being pummeled to death by the mob when using the greater wolf. But for such a minor increase, I'll keep the boar and have much more survivability.

The Greater Dire Wolf needs more of a dps increase on par with the tanking ability of the boar. I do think it is close and doesn't need a huge boost in damage, just a bit more.
    Tanking since EQ1 - It's nice the Paladin doesn't suck anymore

Shadowlander

the point of using the greater dire wolf in pvp is for the 30% heal debuff you can spec into

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Elewyth View Post
    and they tickle in pvp, that needs addressing for Rangers.
    In PvP, I've seen them used to follow severely injured players so they can't get themselves healed up and back into the fray. As they gain levels, they get tougher to kill.

I bet they scale better endgame.

Telaran

So how good is the blood rapter? Is it leaps and bounds more damage tban the wolf and can it hold aggro at all?

I'm playing an ranger in epic dungeons and we have cleared IT and Fae on expert, so I have a little experience. The Raptor does need a little buff, but does more dps at higher lvls than the wolf to me. Rangers dps in groups is only viable in AE situations. The AE finisher needs a shorter cd, I should be able to cast it after every 5 stacks. As it is now Rangers can only cast it every other rotation. Our AE also pales in comparison to SC or other AE mages. Its not even funny the diff in dmg.

Also or Rain of Arrows needs an independent gcd. Sometimes Ill have to wait almost 1.5 seconds and not cast any actions to get an AE off. This is broken IMO. Single target dps is MM's specialty, but still have some issues with gcd. Also energy does not replenish fast enough to keep casting without minor downtime. Little adjustments and tweaking is needed.

I'm not a parser, but I run with ppl that do and I'm finding that the range rogue class is going to slowly phase out and only will be used as an alternative for melee rogues when the fight requires range. Also those people that prefer range rogues will be forced to play bards to get groups. Mages seem to parse higher at the moment.

Bards also could use a grp dispell and maybe a battle rez. They could use a little tweak to healing also. Chloros have way more utility and heal for way more than bards. I'm not asking to heal for the same amount. Playing bard is getting really one dimensional right now, we need utility. Its boring and bland.
    Last edited by moxichino; 03-03-2011 at 08:57 AM.

Soulwalker

A dps increase for the wolf at least would be nice. Its a single target pet meant for you know...killing things. At level 30, I put it on a level 26 mob itself. After about a 1 minute fight, the level 26 killed my wolf.

Boar=Tank
    Raptor=Aoe dps
    Wolf= a diseased jackal.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast