+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Some advice for people interested in playing Rogue (from a lvl 50)

Champion

Default Some advice for people interested in playing Rogue (from a lvl 50)

1) You're going to be asked to tank, whether you like it or not. There are some bosses, especially in the expert-mode dungeons, where the Riftstalker's teleporting is almost necessary to beat the boss mechanic. Rogues just make better tanks than Warriors in certain situations, and there are already lvl 50 expert-dungeon groups who will spend 15 extra minute trying to find a Rogue tank than just take a Warrior tank. I ran instances from lvl 24-50 and I tanked almost every single run (and at least once through every instance). If you refuse to tank, you won't get invited to nearly as many groups.

2) Your DPS will be below that of Warrior. Who knows why Trion did this, but a good Warrior can out-DPS a good Rogue. If you're out-DPSing a Warrior, it's because they suck. It doesn't mean you aren't useful, but don't have a fit when the parser shows you in 2nd place for DPS. Honestly, I hope they fix this. However, as you can see in my first point, we sort of took over their role anyway, so maybe it's only fair.

3) Bards make almost every instance easy. Have a Bard spec and prepare to use it. Almost every group wants to run 1 main heal and 1 bard.

4) Bards are godsend in War Fronts at low levels, but not so much at high level. They are useful, but not to the extent that they are for lvl 10-20. There's too much CC (silence, stun, incapacitate) and Bards have very little ways to deal with any of that. You're also the first one to get a face full of CC because you go down easier than Clerics.

5) Sabs are not the only decent ranged spec. Don't read the forum over-hype about Sabs. People in any game cry when some class can do insane burst damage. The thing is, Sabs can't keep up that damage at all. The DPS parse of Sab damage is not impressive. Their main purpose is to counter tanks and all of the DoT healing classes. If Sabs were so OP, every Rogue would be a Sab, and the fact is there just aren't that many (at least not on Deepstrike). If you like seeing the big number pop off mobs, then roll a Sab. However, the other ranged souls kill just as fast, even if you don't get as big of numbers.

6) Melee DPS Rogues aren't complete ****. They may need a bit of love in upcoming patches, but you're plenty useful in PvE and PvP. Just don't expect to dance toe-to-toe with a DPS Warrior. They are our counters and our phys damage does jack squat to them. However, melee Rogues can spike down Mages, Clerics, and other Rogues just fine.

7) Any instance up to level 50 can be run with 4 Rogues and 1 Cleric. Seriously.

Anyway, those are the things I wish I had known at lvl 1 that I now know at lvl 50. I don't proclaim to be an expert by any means, these are simply observations based off of my own playing, not theorycrafting hogwash that often dominates these forums.

GSB: 5/5, RoS: 4/4, HK: 10/11
    GP: 4/4, DH: 4/4

Telaran

I'd like to see your dps spec. I haven't been outdps by many warriors unless they are in better gear. Anything with more than one mob yes... but single target dps.. no.

Shadowlander

Any more info on higher level ranged rogues ? (MM\Ranger\whatever) builds, how do they fare PVE and PVP wise?

Yes I have a question…

In every MMO I play a ranged physical dps role, so naturally I started this game as a MM/Ranger/NB. It seemed fine until I started running instances with my bro who plays a dps war. I ran a parser and he just KILLED my dps… So I decided to try a melee rogue. This has worked out great, I’m currently running a BladeDancer/Sin/NB and loving it, I do tons of damage and its quite fun (heavy bladedancer spec). My question is I would like to someday return to my roots as a ranged spec, do ranged rogues damage every “get good”??? And if so what soul are they using heavy ranger or heavy marksman??

Quote Originally Posted by Fullmetaljacket View Post
    Any more info on higher level ranged rogues ? (MM\Ranger\whatever) builds, how do they fare PVE and PVP wise?
    ^ This. I was originally running MM/Ranger/Bard, but switched out bard for Assass because when my pet died I needed something to keep from becoming a greasy little mass of leather scraps on the ground. This is the first time I have tried a ranged class, as my prior experiences in that other MMO was always a Rogue which is why assassination was a nice fit for 'those situations'.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
    It is difficult to argue with a whole generation of self entitled petulant children with a battle cry taken from Veruca Salt.

Champion

I'll try to answer all the questions at once.

The easiest answer is that melee DPS will always > ranged DPS. Simply because ranged DPS have a HUGE advantage of being ranged. So melee DPS obviously have to have some advantage for being melee, and that advantage is that their damage is higher.

So that being said, melee specs are going to tear up the DPS meters in instances. I will say, if you're out-DPSing your Warrior friend, he is not the strongest DPS build. Strongest Warrior DPS build for single targets is generally some form of Paragon/Champion/Riftblade. Reaver gets added for an AoE spec. But either way, they have us beat in DPS for right now (the 30% damage increase buff from Paragon just owns).

Ranged DPS is still viable. I run ranged DPS in Dungeons simply because the damage isn't TOO much lower than melee DPS, but healers don't have to worry about me. In expert dungeons, there's lots of wicked AoEs. In fact, there are some bosses where the Warriors have to range the boss because it's too dangerous for them to go in and fight in melee because it's too hard to heal (at least for right now when people aren't in the top gear yet).

Here is my ranged build.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...vhtoqz0ukR.V0x

Now, I will say I used 24 points in Ranger while I leveled to 50 simply because the Greater Razorbeast makes solo PvE incredibly safe and easy. However, the pig is useless in expert dungeons, so you can get rid of him at 50.

Rain of Arrows from Ranger is the best ranged AoE for Rogue. I find it a must have, and it is nearly spammable. Strafe and Deadeye Shot are great single-target skills from MM, and spamming Swift Shot is nicer than spamming Quick Shot to build points. Headshot is great for a pvp finisher that can be used on the run.

The only problem I have in PvP is, like all ranged classes, when people are able to get into distance. This build does have 2 root removals, 2 knockbacks, a snare, a root, and a speed buff, but you will be amazed how many tricks and toys Warriors have for closing distances. This is definitely more of a build for being the attacker, not the attackee. Most Warriors will not hesitate to charge you 1v1 if they see you shooting a bow, but they're more hesitant if you are, say, and Assassin build where you have good spike and some sneaky moves like Slip Away and perma invis.
    Last edited by FireWraith; 03-03-2011 at 04:34 PM.

GSB: 5/5, RoS: 4/4, HK: 10/11
    GP: 4/4, DH: 4/4

+ Reply to Thread