+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Overall rogue tanking.

Question Overall rogue tanking.

Has anyone had enough time or experience to theory-craft what works best? As in, should we be stacking dex > end > str, end > dex> str, dex > str > end or what? And also, what about the weapon speeds and damage? Is it the same as WoW, faster Oh slower MH? What's the debate on the talent trees? As in, plane shifting bubble V.S. the combo point bubble? Is it preference or is one better, or one PvP and one PvE? I know many people are probably asking these kinds of questions, so whatever input will help.

In my short experience, the weapon speed doesn't seem to matter, the plane shifting seems to be less usefull than the combo point bubble, and the stat order should go dexterity > endurance > strength. The strength normally comes as an off-stat on most gear though. As for a roration, I simply keep everything up, and use the beginning striek, which I dont remember the name of, to get the combo points and keep threat.
    When you want me, but do not need me, I will be there. When you need me, but do not want me, I will be gone. When you remember that time and resent me, my job is done. When you think back to that time, you will remember you had the strength to make it alone. When you remember what I could never forget, you will forget that you ever wanted to need me.

Champion of Telara

Simple stuff...the specs you want to go are Riftstalker/Bladedancer/Bard..

Right now there are two specs to go..Its 6am for me and i cant be bothered typing a lot.

51 Riftstalker means

1)Lots of health through huge endurance bonus..at 50 with crap items i have 7.5k health..A warrior tank with same quality has 7k health or so..I think the rest is up to gear/enchants.
    2)Lots of a CDs and i mean LOTS
    3)Lack of avoidance and other awesome stuff from Bladedancer

If you go for 51 Riftstalker you want Endurance-->Hit for threat-->Avoidance (Dexterity and Dodge/Parry)-->The rest..Strength isnt really needed apart from a small damage bonus

If you go Riftstalker/Bladedancer ..I think its 38/2xsomething you still go Endurance-->Hit-->etc..But you have more avoidance and more fluent combo points and energy.

just to add some numbers to the debate:

from a dps perspective (and obviously this is a tank thread) str/dex are about equal. both give 1 attack power for every 2 points of strength or dex, dex coming ahead as it gives critical rating as well.

for a tank however, dex gives us dodge while strength gives block and parry. as rogues we don't use the block value and so only need to look at parry. they are actually equal here as well as 1 dex gives 1 dodge, and 1 strength gives 1 parry. the only difference we have here is that parry is a more expensive stat per % point. that is to say, 20.41 dex will give you 1% avoidance through dodge but with strength it takes 28 str to = 1% avoidance through parry. and so from a purely tanking standpoint, dex wins by about a 40% more significant benefit. then you can also add in the fact that it gives better critical chance, it's easier to get on our gear, and we have access to talents which increase dex by a % and it's obvious to be the better stat.

we should remember though that parry rating and dodge rating as a stat on gear aren't that great. an item that gives 2 dodge rather than 2 dex is cheating us out of the extra crit and attack power. these stats are only good in larger quantities. but in the end our stat priority is going to come out like

1 Dexterity > 1 Strength > 1 Dodge > 1 Parry

one could debate strength and dodge being switched as a tank only really cares about the avoidance being cheaper per point but we still need threat and for that we need AP, so i'd still take the str. there's also the question of where to place endurance in all this. personally i'd actually put it at the top of the list over dex as riftguard is directly related to our max HP. that's left up to personal preference though.
    Sherira - Rogue - Saboteur, Bard, Rifstalker, Night Blade
    Irene - Cleric - Inquisitor/Sentinel
    Saffahh - Mage - Pyromancer/Dominator and the best damn level 9 Master Outfitter you'll ever see
    TheMickey - Warrior - Beastmaster, Paragon and his trusty kung-fu battle cat Master Korin

Station

Ok, cool. Thanks guys. Now I'll just need some hit gear, and be level 51 =P Any idea what the hit cap is?
    When you want me, but do not need me, I will be there. When you need me, but do not want me, I will be gone. When you remember that time and resent me, my job is done. When you think back to that time, you will remember you had the strength to make it alone. When you remember what I could never forget, you will forget that you ever wanted to need me.

+ Reply to Thread