+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Leveling as a Riftstalker or Bladedancer

Default Leveling as a Riftstalker or Bladedancer

Just curious from people that have done it, how is leveling with heavy points into Bladedancer or Riftstalker, in terms of survivability and speed?

Also, what souls did you take to complement both?

Soulwalker

Deep bladedancer (i got 30 pts into it atm) coupled with assasin works brilliant.

I got alot of avoidance + 2 stuns for survivability and lots of crit and damage boost to keep my dps up.
    Mobs drops in 1 combo rotation if not just before 2 and i can go on like a energizer bunny who barely got a scratch.

Going riftstalker/bladedancer i heard is a good combination aswell. Wanting atleast 20 pts in RS and wanting the false blade talent in BD (22 pts) then after that its up to you heard this spec is ace for clearing a big pack of mobs at a time, granted less dps than the sin/bd. the key here is to abuse the teleport. I suggest you pair these up with assasin for opening stun, serrated blades and stealth.

Im aiming at assasin/BD/Nightstalker myself with 22/31/10 knowingly spent, the rest of the 3 points im not entirely sure of but there's alot of viable options.

edit:
    my current spec as sin/BD: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...boz.e0bVhso0Gb
    Last edited by Aryndelin; 03-02-2011 at 06:12 PM.

Dodge, lots of dodge. Also parry. grab that finisher for rift that boost armor by 30% then go all BD till you get that finisher that boosts dodge. From there, I dunno. beta ended and i didn't wanna play a rogue again. You could do like ever other rogue and 0 point ranger for the pocket tank. then it really doesn't matter what you do.

PvP against me is alot like sex with me. Its quick, unexpected and ends with only me satisfied.

honestly, you can pretty much count out riftstalker for solo pve play. it's a slow process, not to mention they're severely underpowered compared to the other classes, even as a tank. guardian aspect is absolute trash.. you have to keep your gear current with armor which sucks because when you're questing they're handing out items for a generic rogue--heavy on dexterity and attack power, when you're really looking for endurance.. so you have to make a choice. also, with guardian aspect you have to deal with the 10% damage reduction which is stupid; even stalker aspect is dumb because you only get a 15% damage buff when you plane shift. if you want to play melee, make you choice between assassin, nightblade and blade dancer. riftstalker is neat and it's very nice and refreshing being able to play a tank in a non-traditional fashion. it's really frustrating to play riftstalker with their lack of crowd control (you get 2 aoes fairly early on which are shadow blitz and the other one for managing hate, but one has a 45 second cooldown and the other does no damage). i played riftstalker up until the late 20s pretty much, and all i've really gathered from playing it is that it's a mana sponge and a slow leveler when questing alone. it has potential to be a great tank, but it's severely underpowered when put up against a warrior tank or a justicar and definitely does not have as much potential or utility compared to the other classes.

keep the role, and purchase another and pick up nightblade, it's a neat class. playing a rogue with elemental damage. i'm enjoying it so far, but i just don't really care for playing dps anymore since everybody and their mom play dps. luckily rogue has the versatility to play any part..
    skramz - defiant - dayblind
    i mad

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by seansucks View Post
    honestly, you can pretty much count out riftstalker for solo pve play. it's a slow process, not to mention they're severely underpowered compared to the other classes, even as a tank. guardian aspect is absolute trash.. you have to keep your gear current with armor which sucks because when you're questing they're handing out items for a generic rogue--heavy on dexterity and attack power, when you're really looking for endurance.. so you have to make a choice. also, with guardian aspect you have to deal with the 10% damage reduction which is stupid; even stalker aspect is dumb because you only get a 15% damage buff when you plane shift. if you want to play melee, make you choice between assassin, nightblade and blade dancer. riftstalker is neat and it's very nice and refreshing being able to play a tank in a non-traditional fashion. it's really frustrating to play riftstalker with their lack of crowd control (you get 2 aoes fairly early on which are shadow blitz and the other one for managing hate, but one has a 45 second cooldown and the other does no damage). i played riftstalker up until the late 20s pretty much, and all i've really gathered from playing it is that it's a mana sponge and a slow leveler when questing alone. it has potential to be a great tank, but it's severely underpowered when put up against a warrior tank or a justicar and definitely does not have as much potential or utility compared to the other classes.

keep the role, and purchase another and pick up nightblade, it's a neat class. playing a rogue with elemental damage. i'm enjoying it so far, but i just don't really care for playing dps anymore since everybody and their mom play dps. luckily rogue has the versatility to play any part..
    you must be having a different experince to me.

i'm leveling riftstalker/bard/ranger (going 51/7/8) and leveling has been pretty consistant (currently 24). using stalker phase with shadow assault/shift single target mobs die at 5 CP after the first finisher. if you are going this, ensure to get rift scavanger. at 3 points, 6% of max hp per combo point healed when the mob dies. 30% of max HP at 5 combo points is huge. been able to solo some non elite invasion/holdouts because of this and mixing up the two AoE abilitis the quoted person posted.

Speaking of the AoE abilities, i dont believe they do no damage. shadow blitx usually does 60-70 per target, and the other does double that. it's enough for me at current level.

regarding the above posters comment on guardian stance. it is the stance you use when tanking, not soloing. yes, you need to be a bit more watchful on gear, but thats usually not that big of an issue.

having 4 teleports is great for moving between mobs, despite the fact that they are still bugged, causing you to fall through the world intermittently.

is it the fastest spec out there? no. it's a tank build. but it is still fast enough that it is not a chore.

Riftstalker 13 for Rift Scavenger gives you a HUGE survivability boost, especially if you add another point to that for Rift Guard.

After that, Bladedancer becomes your core soul for its better combo-building attacks and finishers. It works out alright too, because by the time you get to 13-14 points in Riftstalker is when you really feel the difference between the tanking soul's dps and BD's. Assigning points to Bladedancer at that point becomes very fortuitous. I'm sure that Assassin or Nightblade as an alternative would work as well, but I like the BD.

13 rift stalker is good for any melee soloing build.

As far as a riftstalker main, i dont know. I leveled a riftstalker main to 20 or so in an early beta, and it was uneventful. I would not reccomend it as a good idea, but i wont say it wont work either.

Now, a rift stalker main based on DPS, using the talents that raise damage.. may work. Ive never tried an offensive rift stalker. Give it a go, the upside is you dont have to spend 13 points in a secondary to get rift scavenger.

10 nightblade as a secondary to get the 15% damage bonuses is probably a good idea. As well as 8 assassin.

Something like 8 assasin, 10 nightblade, rest rift stalker may actually be a good leveling build once you can also get rift barrier and the crit boost after shifting. Give it a try.

Telaran

I'm leveling riftstalker/blade dancer/bard and it's fine. Currently my other spec is assasin/nightblade/riftstalker and for pure grinding power the heavy riftstalker build beats it. It's got better aoe capability and muliple mob targetting. The scavenger talent makes for no downtine. I haven't used a drink ever on that build.

Also... Are we about done discussing the riftstalker as a capable tank? Almost all healers I've heard say that they vastly prefer rogue-tanks as first priority and justicars as second. I'm sorry for the warrior-lovers out there but until they balance out please stop it with the "i've got a shield so i must be a better tank".
    "The promise of a friend is to stand by you when you're wrong. When you're right practically anyone will stand by you."

My two cents:

I've leveled Riftstalker almost exclusively, however beyond the mid 30s it becomes extremely tedious solo. Since then I picked up another role for solo leveling, deep Bladedancer with 13 into Riftstalker for Riftscavenger. I can easily take on 6-7+ same level mobs, and come out with full health if I set up scavenger to proc properly. I also solo every rift I come across

Effective Health: 51 Riftstalker/7 Bard/8 Ranger - Avoidance: 36 Riftstalker/8 Bard/22 Bladedancer - Healthy Mix: 51 Riftstalker/7 Bard/8 Bladedancer
    Riftstalker Tanking - Key Abilities and Mechanics 2.0
    Zayrinoke, Level 50 Bahmi Rogue - Zerstorer, Level 43 Bahmi Warrior - Asche, Level 20 Kelari Cleric - Haifisch, Level 32 Eth Mage
    Multiple Shards

Rift Master

Id say get familiar with riftstalker, use it for all your rifts/invasions/global events but dont level with it. Its slow as hell to kill anything.

Take rift stalker for 20% armour, +30% healing and rift scavenger then blade dancer. You now have no downtime. Enjoy

I had a lot of success with blade/assas/rift.

Starting strategy?
    4 points in assas asap for stealth/assasinate opener
    then go to 8 pts in blade for false blade finisher and reprisal (GROSS early dps, tons of dodging)
    then go to 13 in rift for scavenge, 14 if you like rift guard (nice for someone soloing a LOT)

go back and max out blade
    "You cannot convert a savage to christianity because christiany is savagery." -George Bernard Shaw

Soulwalker

I'm currently using this build: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...Vh0MRM.0VRcL0o

Skill priority is:
    1. Puncture
    2. Precision Strike
    3. Quick Strike
    4. Keen Blade

Keep up buffs from False Blade, Guarded Steel, Dauntless Strike, and Annihilate. Pretty good at grinding, thanks to Rift Scavenger keeping you alive.

Shadowlander

Definitely support the comment that riftstalker is terrible for PvE leveling. On the other hand, I can camp that fang until it kills me in warfronts for PvP exp, which is pretty good, or go do raids and such as main tank. I can pretty much out tank anyone with little to no effort on my part.

Quest grinding though, ugh.. Too slow, too slow. Blade with 13 rift is the way to go.

As others have said, Riftstalker is slow solo. I currently only use it as an OS (with Bard and Bladedancer) to tank Dungeons, Rifts and Invasions when we can't find a tank (which is the case most of the time). Bladedancer/Sin/Riftstalker is MS with my points in the Sin tree, fast killing mobs, but I'm leveling with a pure healing Cleric so there is zero downtime for us, we blast through the zones pretty fast. I'd imagine there would be some downtime without and defensive/avoidance talents in the other trees though.

Ascendant

Well, I'd say if you're dropping 13 into Riftstalker for Rift Scavenger anyway you may as well drop an extra 3 in there to grab Shadow Assault and Stalker Phase. Shadow Assault's damage is mediocre at best but the 10 seconds of +15% damage that follows it from Stalker Phase is a very attractive option for a soloing build.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast