+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Suggestions for Bard support build

Default Suggestions for Bard support build

Concentrating mainly on group/raid PVE. I was thinking Bard as a main soul, but not really sure where to go from there. If Bard is a bad idea? If so, state why you feel that way. Mostly looking for a way to be useful as a rogue when we group up. So i'm thinking along the lines of support... maybe pure DPS would be better??? I dunno, opinions????

I went Bard/Sab support and single target nuke

Soulwalker

Bards are invaluable in dungeons. They take a huge amount of strain off the healers due to the fact they bards can take care of moderate AoE damage, so the healers can focus their mana and heals solely on the tank. This is due to the fact that they have coda that heals the entire group for a reasonably large amount. They also have their motif of regeneration (a small hot), and invigorated soul that causes cadence to heal for 100% of it's damage to all group and raid members in range. All of these make us a clerics best friend in AoE encounters.

In addition, they give your group attack power, spell power, 5% reduced damage taken, 5% increased crit chance, 5% increased stats, and 5% more healing taken. They can also use their Codas to increase the physical damage taken by the boss by 5% and non-physical damage by 7%.

As for an actual build, most people tend to agree that a 7/51/8 build like http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M....EIdqiqskqz.Vh is recommended. Nightblade gives cadence more damage which = more healing, and riftstalker gives us some additional attack power (attack power benefits cadence), and 20% increased healing taken for ourselves, which is overall extremely handy.

I wouldn't recommend using bard to level though, as their damage output is rather sad. But I highly recommend it as your second spec to use in dungeons/rifts.

Fratley's 2 cents.
    Last edited by Fratley; 03-02-2011 at 06:40 PM.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Fratley View Post
    Bards are invaluable in dungeons. They take a huge amount of strain off the healers due to the fact they bards can take care of moderate AoE damage, so the healers can focus their mana and heals solely on the tank. This is due to the fact that they have coda that heals the entire group for a reasonably large amount. They also have their motif of regeneration (a small hot), and invigorated soul that causes cadence to heal for 100% of it's damage to all group and raid members in range. All of these make us a clerics best friend in AoE encounters.

In addition, they give your group attack power, spell power, 5% reduced damage taken, 5% increased crit chance, 5% increased stats, and 5% more healing taken. They can also use their Codas to increase the physical damage taken by the boss by 5% and non-physical damage by 7%.

As for an actual build, most people tend to agree that a 7/51/8 build like http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M....EIdqiqskqz.Vh is recommended. Nightblade gives cadence more damage which = more healing, and riftstalker gives us some additional attack power (attack power benefits cadence), and 20% increased healing taken for ourselves, which is overall extremely handy.

I wouldn't recommend using bard to level though, as their damage output is rather sad. But I highly recommend it as your second spec to use in dungeons/rifts.

Fratley's 2 cents.
    I've been leveling as assassian/bladedancer/riftstalker the damage seems ok, I can kill a couple mobs my level fairly easy. I wanted to pick a spec for instances (only lvl 15 atm), I haven't been to one yet, I also only played WoW rogues which are different.

I was told going bard for instances is great. Exactly how should a bard play in an instance? It looks by the talents in the spec you linked they do ranged magic damage and dont stand around with melee stabbing like I'm used to. They seem more of a support class for heals, buffs and moderate dps. Am I right to say this?
    Last edited by Zeaks; 03-02-2011 at 07:40 PM.

I am interested as well in how to spec and play a bard for support. I havent tried it yet but I would like to make my second role Bard for support for WF's and Instances.

Sib
    Shadowlander

Ya you are pretty much ranged.

Group bard play.
    -look at the buffs the other people in the group pick then select yours that don't over lap. The -10% ability cost is great.
    -Don't precast the damage reduction or regen song for Group pulls though mainly its the regen song that is a aggro magnet.
    -After pull put up the rest of your motifs if any
    -Cadence twice
    -debuff mobs -- repeat for the other debuff
    -cadence some more
    -pop your single dps, group dps, or heal finisher depending on whatever
    -single target mez adds if you need to and your group knows you have the adds our mez is great.
    -cadence some more.

if your tank or who ever is taking heavy damage pop riff and our 3min cool down and spam the group heal for 15 seconds

- cadence some more

thats about it

I am interested as well in how to spec and play a bard for support. I havent tried it yet but I would like to make my second role Bard for support for WF's and Instances.
    Specing bard is easy, put 51 points in it and done.
    Last edited by Sib; 03-02-2011 at 08:06 PM.

Thanks Fratley, that was exactly what I was looking for! My current solo spec of Riftstalker/Bard/Blade Dancer gives me unreal survivability when im out questing, but it just doesnt offer much when it comes to group raids. All i have to do with this build is pick up nightblade and im good to go.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Sib View Post
    Ya you are pretty much ranged.

Group bard play.
    -look at the buffs the other people in the group pick then select yours that don't over lap. The -10% ability cost is great.
    -Don't precast the damage reduction or regen song for Group pulls though mainly its the regen song that is a aggro magnet.
    -After pull put up the rest of your motifs if any
    -Cadence twice
    -debuff mobs -- repeat for the other debuff
    -cadence some more
    -pop your single dps, group dps, or heal finisher depending on whatever
    -single target mez adds if you need to and your group knows you have the adds our mez is great.
    -cadence some more.

if your tank or who ever is taking heavy damage pop riff and our 3min cool down and spam the group heal for 15 seconds

- cadence some more

thats about it

Specing bard is easy, put 51 points in it and done.
    What is the heal finisher? or am I just too low to have one, lvl 15

Sib
    Shadowlander

Coda of restoration
    Needs 20 points in bard tree to unlock/.

get 8 points in nightblade since cadence can get its damage boosted from the combo point generating passive and the non physical damage passive. That will also make it heal for more since its hitting harder. You will also get a ranged incapacitate from stealth, which is good in a dungeon.

rift stalker is a good third soul. the attack power boost will also increase cadence damage, and the teleport is handy.

my full support bard is in my sig.

Shadowlander

Thanks for the info

+ Reply to Thread