+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Planeshifting and Obstructions

Rift Disciple

Default Planeshifting and Obstructions

After some testing I'm a little turned off by how the planeshifting abilities work for riftstalkers. Pretty much all of them say "if the path is unobstructed" which is ok I guess, but the mechanics for determining an unobstructed path seem strange.

For example, while standing on top of a rock (it was only about 1.5 meters tall and I was pretty close to the edge) I used Shadow Shift and it plane-shifted me to the exact spot I was standing. Then tried again while I jumped straight up into the air and it worked just fine. I tried this in a few different places. I presume this is because while standing on the rock, the very edge of the rock was considered an obstruction between the bottom of my feet and the ground 15 meters in front of my feet. This seems silly considering I could just mash the forward button and not encounter any true obstructions. Is this ability working as intended?

I haven't gotten to the 32 point abilities, but I assume they will work just the same. I just feel like the plane shifting abilities are too unreliable for PVP. An unnoticed obstruction may cause you to waste the ability and trigger your global CD.

I'm still pretty low level though, so I was wondering what other players' thoughts and experiences are with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Terminum View Post
    After some testing I'm a little turned off by how the planeshifting abilities work for riftstalkers. Pretty much all of them say "if the path is unobstructed" which is ok I guess, but the mechanics for determining an unobstructed path seem strange.

For example, while standing on top of a rock (it was only about 1.5 meters tall and I was pretty close to the edge) I used Shadow Shift and it plane-shifted me to the exact spot I was standing. Then tried again while I jumped straight up into the air and it worked just fine. I tried this in a few different places. I presume this is because while standing on the rock, the very edge of the rock was considered an obstruction between the bottom of my feet and the ground 15 meters in front of my feet. This seems silly considering I could just mash the forward button and not encounter any true obstructions. Is this ability working as intended?

I haven't gotten to the 32 point abilities, but I assume they will work just the same. I just feel like the plane shifting abilities are too unreliable for PVP. An unnoticed obstruction may cause you to waste the ability and trigger your global CD.

I'm still pretty low level though, so I was wondering what other players' thoughts and experiences are with this.
    It is a little "buggy".

I seem to not be able to plane shift sometimes as well.

"Oh, there was a 2 inch tall piece of grass in my way..."

:<
    Wheeler
    Exiled Guild
    Roguey Extraordinaire of Sunrest

this is pretty common in games that have such abilities (guild wars had it, was also bugged. world of warcraft had things like heroic leap that would get bugged by a tiny bevel in the terrain and not work at all). really it's just an intensely hard obstacle to overcome when you design an engine such as this and you want the worlds contours to seem at least somewhat believable. lest you would prefer to play in a world with no hills, mountains, etc and just have endless flatlands. give it time and it will be fixed OR youll get really used to spotting when to not hit the planeshift.

right now imo the biggest problem is the shadow stalking behind a target and falling through the world. which is especially bad as a tank.

Soulwalker

It's a bit buggy yeh, but also hard to fix/balance due to exploitation or clever use of mechanics, whatever you prefer.

I do hope however that they'll consider changing some of the current abilities especially in regards to the "if the path is unobstructed" part. The ability to shift yourself behind an object (provided the destination is within the range of the ability's description - and not obstructed) would take it to another level of gameplay. For example shifting behind an object for cover/escape/deception/line of sight, rather than simply shifting in or out of attack range.

Granted, you shouldn't be able to just planeshift through literally everything, but I think it would add some interesting and creative gameplay.

One thing I hated about WoW pvp and something that simply put me off arenas, was the amount of pillardancing that happened. Ofcourse this tactic is useful and has it's place, but when 9/10 matches revolves largely around this it becomes very tiresome. I can't say whether this is going to be an issue in endgame pvp on Rift ofcourse, but I would love to be able to planeshift behind an object that's being used as a pillar to dance around, and imagine the look on the face of the player as havoc is released on him/her.

+ Reply to Thread