+ Reply to Thread

Thread: bard question

Soulwalker

Default bard question

Hi, im wondering..

is the damage we bards do spell damage ? I talked to someone online today and he said it was life based damage, i guess much like chloromancer.

Reason i ask is, i got this Greater Planar Essense today, and it says: Equip: Damaging spells have a chance to deal 73 Fire damage immediately and an additional 35 Fire over 8 seconds. Req lvl 22.

So will this work with my bard skills like, Cadence ?

Cheers. ohh im 23 now ;)
    ♫ ♬ Efus the Bard ♫ ♬
    Kindness to the evil only brings more evil to the kind

Quote Originally Posted by Efus View Post
    Hi, im wondering..

is the damage we bards do spell damage ? I talked to someone online today and he said it was life based damage, i guess much like chloromancer.

Reason i ask is, i got this Greater Planar Essense today, and it says: Equip: Damaging spells have a chance to deal 73 Fire damage immediately and an additional 35 Fire over 8 seconds. Req lvl 22.

So will this work with my bard skills like, Cadence ?

Cheers. ohh im 23 now ;)
    The answer is it is neither spell damage nor physical. It is based on the physical damage you do with a weapon but it does not scale with melee stats like str/AP, - some with DEX but that is due to crit%, not AP gains. It is also unaffected by any bonus spell power. In essence it is a non-physical attack that deals non-spell damage.

That essence did not work for bards in Beta 7, doubt it works now.

Soulwalker

Well I got the mace that procs spell power off healing "spells" and it definitely procs off my heals. However, I don't think the SP helps in anyway. I only got it last night, didn't have time to experiment other than to check that it procs.

So I think our abilities will proc "spell" procs, but I haven't tested it with a spell damage proc.

Telaran

Piggybacking on this thread because I didn't want to create another "bard question" thread.

I had read that bards could fill the role of healer in a group, but in the role breakdown in the instruction book, it says they're strictly support. If you create one of your roles to be full bard, will you be able to function as a main healer?

Thanks!

Shadowlander

Bard as a main healer? Not very well. Bards can't do single target heals - so if one person is getting focus fired they'll probably go down since everything you have is group/raid wide. Bards can support heal very well, and make the life of a cleric etc much easier, but I wouldn't want one main healing.

Quote Originally Posted by epilepticemu View Post
    Piggybacking on this thread because I didn't want to create another "bard question" thread.

I had read that bards could fill the role of healer in a group, but in the role breakdown in the instruction book, it says they're strictly support. If you create one of your roles to be full bard, will you be able to function as a main healer?

Thanks!
    Highly NOT recommended for random group as a main healer in an appropriate level dungeon. Bards can not heal through burst damage very well so you would need another healer in a group to take care of that.

You may be able to pull it off in some pre-made group and you would need a Justicar tank that knows how to heal themselves well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rykin View Post
    The answer is it is neither spell damage nor physical. It is based on the physical damage you do with a weapon but it does not scale with melee stats like str/AP, - some with DEX but that is due to crit%, not AP gains. It is also unaffected by any bonus spell power. In essence it is a non-physical attack that deals non-spell damage.

That essence did not work for bards in Beta 7, doubt it works now.
    I know in Beta 7 I confirmed that Bards *do* get contribution from physical stats on Cadence. I put +spell power runes on my 3 weapons and spammed Cadence on a mob. Pulled the next identical mob after switching those runes to +Attack Power and Cadence damage went up.
    We tend to meet any new situation by reorganizing, and a wonderful method it can be for creating the illusion of progress while at the same time producing confusion, inefficiency, and demoralization.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Gosh View Post
    I know in Beta 7 I confirmed that Bards *do* get contribution from physical stats on Cadence. I put +spell power runes on my 3 weapons and spammed Cadence on a mob. Pulled the next identical mob after switching those runes to +Attack Power and Cadence damage went up.
    So, pardon my tagging on to the thread with this, but do the other physical stats effect Cadence as well? +Physical Crit for instance? I love my Bard, I'm just completely confused by how stats effect the unique abilities they have. If anyone knows of a good "Rift Bard for Dummies" guide, I would love one.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by epilepticemu View Post

Thanks!
    I've main healed for Iron Tomb but I was level 20 at the time, and the lowest member was lvl 19. I doubt I will be able to get away with it in higher dungeons.

Rift Chaser

Bards gain the most from attack power.

Attack power comes from three different stats: Attack power,Str,Dex-- all three will add to Attack power.

+ Reply to Thread