+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rogues and PVE past 30 - question

Rift Disciple

Default Rogues and PVE past 30 - question

I'm a casual player so i'm forced to solo through a lot of pve content. I'm not always able to commit to grouping for long periods of time or a solid gaming schedule. Anyway, right now i have two rolls and i'm level 25.

1) Nightblade(assassin) pve DPS build
    2) Riftstalker(bard) tanking

My goal is to use the NB to level through pve, have a pvp roll and maybe a tanking roll. However the more i read the more i'm thinking ill be force to have a ranger build... Will i be force to have a ranger based Pve build past level 30?

At this time, I am unaware of any ranger only pve encounters.
    Don't mind me, I'm just being an idiot.

What you did there, I see it.

Rift Disciple

I assume you're thinking of Ranger for the Tanking Boar/Pig if so then unless you invest heavily in the Ranger tree then the pet will be pretty much useless past level 30.
    If you're worried about survivability then you could try adding Riftstalker to your DPS build.

My assassin can endlessly kill mobs 3lvls higher then me.
    Proud member of <WarriorPoets>

Rift Disciple

Yeah i was mainly asking if i would need a pet for tanking or if there were other options... Thanks for the reply.

The Ranger/X builds are quite common, especially post 30. Most people like the comfort of a pet.

However, I implore you to try this build. It works quite well once you have the necessary points to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sintour View Post
    I'm using 10+ NB/ 13+ Riftstalker/ 31 Bladedancer and it levels like a beast. Rarely get hit, can rift scavenge back any health you do lose, and the added points every level past the minimum just make it so much better. Things like 15% crit after shifting, rift barrier, etc.

Any time you need to mow down a set of adds just make sure that you have False up, put up side step, load a target with five CP, and use Dancing Steel. Halfway through the channel you'll off the loaded target for a 1500+ heal.

Once you have enough NB for Malady, you can go from open to dead on the mob in a few seconds. If riftstalker didn't drop you through the world I'd use the 15% crit more often as well. Parsing, this easily maintains 300+ dps from the front of the mob solo, a number some struggle to reach in full dps specs in a five man hitting from behind.

You can also lazy-macro the spec like crazy:

cast Disengage
    cast Reprisal
    cast Twilight Force
    cast Dusk Strike
    cast Precision Strike
    cast Quick Strike
    cast Keen Strike

Once you hit 44+ and have a lot of double cp actions, you are literally swimming in cp from all the BD generation. Also pretty much guarantees a near 30% heal if you don't use a weak finisher to drop a mob < 15%. I can put up a video of the spec in action if people want to see it, you basically don't ever stop to drink and do great damage.
    Here he elaborates further:

Quote Originally Posted by Sintour View Post
    This is the base, fully developed at 41, then it starts to get some good candy after that. You can run it from 33, though, and just build the nightblade tree out as the important ones are 13 RS 31 BD.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...0h.EbdV0oMMMdz

It looks a bit odd from what people think are the no-brainer spec grabs but this is why I skipped some of those, probably owing to gross over-analysis of log breakdowns.

No blade finesse: 50% auto-attack damage sounds huge. Coming from a game like WoW, that would be insane. When I go back to 100+ fights against +/- 2 level "quest" mobs (I'm 46, so I've been questing a lot) and pull out my per-attack damage pie charts, I see that my fights last an average of 20 (+/- 5s) and auto-attack is LESS THAN TEN PERCENT OF THAT AMOUNT. This is not to say that you won't add it back by 50, but this build was about maximum output for questing while maintaining extreme survivability and buffing the highest damage things first.

No Energy refunds: When you start getting so many cp that you can barely find the globals to spend them, you also aren't using energy much thanks to the discount for max CP.

No deadly dance (CP Generator gain after deadly strike): Sounds counter-intuitive since CP builders are the #1 damage slice in the chart, right? Except that deadly strike is the least used finisher. With this spec you will be rolling False, Annihilate, and Dauntless for the big buffs they provide. You will actually rarely use deadly strike. I pretty much only do it if all three buffs are above 20s. This in turn lessened the return of the talent.

For the follow-up, the candy I have taken so far:

15% Crit after phase shifting: If you didn't fall through the world half the time with targeted blinks I'd pick up rift strike as well, but right now the time spent running back to the quest area after you blink through the floor is worse than not having this. When it does work, the mob just falls over.

Rift Barrier: I used this for a while, but I spec'd back out of the phase-shift stuff due to the aforementioned bug.

Rift Guard: I had it for a while but it seemed redundant. You really won't die with this spec as is, and rolling another buff is pretty annoying, especially given that the max duration is 30s. Without it, I can usually handle 3-4 adds (scavenging is so busted, especially for this spec where more than half the damage comes from non-finishers so blasting something and leaving 5 cp up is a reality), with it, it didn't change that number by much. It was more convenient to have rift barrier as it didn't require me to waste cp/global.

Nightblade has a lot of options, you can take the passive damage from Melted Skin (5%), Fire and Death (with added flat damage%), etc. Personally, I went for Twilight -> Flame Thrust -> Improved Twilight (I'm on a pvp server so I wanted the ranged snare, for pure damage you'd go with the passives instead). The goal is getting to 14 so you have Dusk Strike for an additional double cp builder, as well as malady for some epic damage increase. When it was working, you could phase shift onto a mob with 15% crit, drop malady, and have it dead in <12. I was spiking to 500+ dps at those times, which is something people around 40 do to ae packs.

You can obviously go back to BD and pick up anything you want, whether it's timer increases for rhythmic abilities or the energy refunds. The x/13/31 is what makes the spec from level 33, 41 for 10/13/31 is where it really shines, and after that it just starts getting silly.

To answer a couple questions I've received (and because servers are going down again), I didn't use it to level to 30. I did ranger (like everyone should) to 16, did ROTF to 21 as a tank, did the next two dungeons as a tank, and then went out to quest around 30 and found I really didn't like the way pets worked in crowded areas.

One of the biggest bonuses about this spec is the ludicrous amount of avoidance you'll have while maintaining extremely high damage output and giant heals when you kill something. Lots of the level 35+ areas have fortresses and forts where you simply cannot avoid getting 2-3 adds. I watch warriors and clerics die to being over-run, whereas I just pop evasion and really chew mobs up (more dodging = more cp = more damage). You'll never die to fighting a mob to low health and having a late add, as you'll heal for 40%+ (30% from 5pt kill and 30% of that extra from the RS talent). If you timer going in and put up 5 cp on a low hp mob, you can often blow up full stage 1 rifts and invasion parties with dancing.
    Last edited by styrfry; 03-02-2011 at 07:06 AM.

I leveled to 30 as MM/RG but switched to AS/NB/BD and am completely destroying mobs much quicker than I was as MM/RG. Taking bard is great since you have no downtime unless you fight an elite or a special mob. The 15% increased damage to combo point generators and finishers is insane coupled with the +15% damage to final blow. I'm rocking close to 29% crit rating at level 37.

An opener with assassinate, puncture then final blow (if baneful touch is active) the mob is at around 30% health with crits.

Rift Disciple

Great advice, love the idea of the AS/NB/BD and NB/RS/BD builds!

Really appreciate the help

Shadowlander

Hmmmmmm I'm very interested in the NB/RS/BD build for leveling purposes. I've been running NB/RS/RG just for the pet tank. However, I'm currently level 31 and the pet seems like it's starting to get me in more trouble than it's worth lately.

I'm almost pure NB with just 10 pts in RG for the Dire Wolf (which I never use.......) and leveling is starting to become slow and tedious. I find myself at low life quite often. I'm definitely gonna give this build a shot! Thanks a bunch!

+ Reply to Thread