+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The answer for "weapon damage" questions

Default The answer for "weapon damage" questions

Hello boys and girls. I can see many of you are worried about what weapon to chose for rogue so maybe this post will help you.
    Weapon damage in tooltips means normalized weapon damage.
    example:
    we have an axe with 90-110 and 2.0 speed = 50 dps
    we also have a dagger with 65-85 and 1.5 speed = 50 dps
    your melee abilities damage with the dagger will be the same as the damage with the axe. end of story.
    p.s. just remember that rogues got procs from weapons that will proc more with faster weapons.

Shadowlander

Thanks for that and I'll take you up at face value, however do you have a confirmation link somewhere?

no you just have to believe me :>
    i've tested it yesterday for about half an hour with different abilities. no screenshots with statistics. im not at home atm but you can always test it yourself

I did the same test, daggers vs swords both with the same dps and blues, in the autoattack it is basically the same, BUT I hit harder with swords when I use special abilities ie:
    Critical Final blow with daggers = ~500
    Critical Final blow with swords = ~650

I tested on the dummy.

So, I GUESS best weapons, at least for assassins, are the swords considering poison application and weapon damage.

Actually I can kill almost anything in the same lvl than me in less than 4 sec, I am lvl 30.
    Last edited by gammexane; 03-02-2011 at 05:03 AM.
    Rock is overpowered.
    Paper is fine.
    -Scissors -

did you use the sword with the same dps as dagger?
    because my numbers were identical for backstabs, savage strikes, final blows and for bleed ticks

Shadowlander

Wow do I really want to know this question...

Are there practice dummies you can test it on that you can actually hit?

Quote Originally Posted by Netherx View Post
    did you use the sword with the same dps as dagger?
    because my numbers were identical for backstabs, savage strikes, final blows and for bleed ticks
    Yes, both are blue and have the same dps... 11.3 dps. Ah and I ""enchanted"" (Runecrafted?) both with +5 ap.
    BTW, most difference are in the critical hits.

This is my current build
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1MpMV.V.GhMftcbod.V

Quote Originally Posted by Dashai View Post
    Are there practice dummies you can test it on that you can actually hit?
    At lest in Meridian, next to the guys who give you the quests that have souls rewards.
    Rock is overpowered.
    Paper is fine.
    -Scissors -

Plane Touched

The Devs did post in patch note sin beta that they had normalised weapon speed with regards to damaging attacks. I took this to mean that for rogues they normalised all daggers, maces, 1h swords to have the equivalent of, for arguments sake, 2 speed when it comes to attacks.

So a 50 DPS sword will do the same damage with attack abilities as any other 50 DPS 1h weapon.

IF you tested this on the dummies and saw that much of a discrepency (500 damage to 650) I would say either it is bugged, or they normalised all 1h swords to be the same, all 1h daggers to be the same and all 1h maces to be the same as opposed to all 1h weapons a rogue can use to be the same.

Quite important to know if its a bug or if thats how they really normalised the weaps! It kind of makes sense to make daggers do less damage on a per hit basis as they can proc poisons more (as poisons are a % per hit chance to fire and dont use a ppm formula). We need clarification!
    Bloodiron EU PvP
    ==========
    Kink - 50 Warrior
    Gg - 3X Rogue
    Duke - Mage

dunno about 500 and 650 damage difference, maybe you had some buffs up like cloak and dagger or cruel vengeance.

Quote Originally Posted by Kink View Post
    The Devs did post in patch note sin beta that they had normalised weapon speed with regards to damaging attacks. I took this to mean that for rogues they normalised all daggers, maces, 1h swords to have the equivalent of, for arguments sake, 2 speed when it comes to attacks.

So a 50 DPS sword will do the same damage with attack abilities as any other 50 DPS 1h weapon.

IF you tested this on the dummies and saw that much of a discrepency (500 damage to 650) I would say either it is bugged, or they normalised all 1h swords to be the same, all 1h daggers to be the same and all 1h maces to be the same as opposed to all 1h weapons a rogue can use to be the same.

Quite important to know if its a bug or if thats how they really normalised the weaps! It kind of makes sense to make daggers do less damage on a per hit basis as they can proc poisons more (as poisons are a % per hit chance to fire and dont use a ppm formula). We need clarification!
    I going to test it again more carefully.
    BTW, suppose they have normalized the weapon damage, what about poison application? If what you say is truth, mathematically, we MUST to use daggers.
    Rock is overpowered.
    Paper is fine.
    -Scissors -

If you want to test the difference, you will need to collect FAR more data than...wow....a crit of 650, it was only 600 last time.

I'm interested to hear what you come up with, but crit damage also has a random element to it. Assuming that 1, 2 or even 10 crits were higher does not mean your dps is higher. Burst is great, but I can't see you sitting down half way through a pvp 1-on-1 and changing to daggers because your poisoned sword isn't proccing often enough.

EDIT: In fact, I'll test this now over a period of time with shop bought daggers and shop bought swords. I'll post my results here in a bit.
    Last edited by Ellandess; 03-02-2011 at 06:03 AM.

Rift n. r-ift (pl. rifts) A 'rift' is what opens up between you and your wife when the game is live.

PC Black :: CPU Yes :: GPU Two thingies :: SOUND Pretty good :: OVERCLOCK A nice mirror :: WINDOWS 14, all double glazed

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by gammexane View Post
    I going to test it again more carefully.
    BTW, suppose they have normalized the weapon damage, what about poison application? If what you say is truth, mathematically, we MUST to use daggers.
    I am 110% sure in one of the beta patch notes they announced that they normalised weapon damage. I am NOT 100% sure if they normalised all 1h weapons to a set value, OR, all swords to one value, daggers to another etc. I also do not know if the patch notes make this clear or if they are vague.

Also you will be only required to use daggers (if you min max,which I do =) if you use poisons/procs (which you would if you were amelee Sin of some sort). For this reason I am starting to wonder if they normalised the type of weapon differently, so a sword might give higher skill damage (though any 1h sword with X dps will do the same skill damage regardless of delay) but will proc less poisons....

If the latter is true and we find out, for example, daggers are normalised to 1.7, swords are normalised to 1.8 and maces are normalised to 2, you will find fast maces may out DPS slower daggers. I kind of hope it is like the latter, if all 1handers are normalised then it really makes any choice moot, its just DPS and stats =/
    Bloodiron EU PvP
    ==========
    Kink - 50 Warrior
    Gg - 3X Rogue
    Duke - Mage

Default Normalised

They will be normalised for attacks though regarding Poison/Hellfire procs it's interesting to note those say "20% chance" which would lead us towards Daggers: as it should be for the stealthy Rogues.

Does the Bladedancer have similar procs as I'd expect them to use Swords...

Quote Originally Posted by Ellandess View Post
    If you want to test the difference, you will need to collect FAR more data than...wow....a crit of 650, it was only 600 last time.

I'm interested to hear what you come up with, but crit damage also has a random element to it. Assuming that 1, 2 or even 10 crits were higher does not mean your dps is higher. Burst is great, but I can't see you sitting down half way through a pvp 1-on-1 and changing to daggers because your poisoned sword isn't proccing often enough.

EDIT: In fact, I'll test this now over a period of time with shop bought daggers and shop bought swords. I'll post my results here in a bit.
    I just was testing weapon damage, white and skilled damage. I wasn't test rotation, burst or sustain damage. I just wanted to know which weapon is better for an assassin.

btw, I have noticed that the mobs' hp downs faster with swords than daggers, I mean the "ticks" are longer.
    Rock is overpowered.
    Paper is fine.
    -Scissors -

Quote Originally Posted by Intruder313 View Post
    They will be normalised for attacks though regarding Poison/Hellfire procs it's interesting to note those say "20% chance" which would lead us towards Daggers: as it should be for the stealthy Rogues.
    Exactly. I love daggers anyway but if we need a kind of weapon it means that they didn't normalized them :P
    Rock is overpowered.
    Paper is fine.
    -Scissors -

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast