+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Assassin weapon damage question.

Default Assassin weapon damage question.

As I'm levelling I'm seeing loads and loads of one handed swords, axes etc..but I wondered if as an assassin we should be using daggers for more damage.

So my question is, does it matter what weapon type we use for damage, or as long as it's one handed should I not care?

Would really appreciate a response.

Thanks guys.

dmv

Daggers are the highest dos hands down. However certain blade dancer skills may lead me to use a mace.

Ragardless of the dps you generally want the item that has a higher damage per swing because that's the one that will be hitting every time you use an ability. Maces and axes are generally the weapons with high damage and slower speed, but speed doesn't matter much when you pretty much hit once every gcd.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlySmurf View Post
    Ragardless of the dps you generally want the item that has a higher damage per swing because that's the one that will be hitting every time you use an ability. Maces and axes are generally the weapons with high damage and slower speed, but speed doesn't matter much when you pretty much hit once every gcd.
    I fundamentally disagree.

As an assassin, you want your poisons and passive bleed damage to have the best chance of proccing, which means you want more chances to proc them. The faster the weapon, the more frequently it will hit - giving you that increased proc chance.

Example:

Option 1: an axe which does 13 dps and hits 40 dmg every 3 seconds.
    Option 2: a dagger which does 13 dps and hits for 11 dmg every 1.2 seconds.

I'd take the dagger any day of the week.

Apart from the openers, sins don't have very big hits. You want to increase your chances of procs, poisons and even crits as some skills boost your damage when you crit. Increase your overall dps by increasing your chances to proc all these things.

You can of course go for a BIG damage weapon and rely on your assassinate to one-shot your target but you'll rely more on your crit % than anything else.

Rift n. r-ift (pl. rifts) A 'rift' is what opens up between you and your wife when the game is live.

PC Black :: CPU Yes :: GPU Two thingies :: SOUND Pretty good :: OVERCLOCK A nice mirror :: WINDOWS 14, all double glazed

Soulwalker

Well, but if u dont use the poison build and go for bleeding, arent there axes better?
    the bleeding-skills are weapondmg+fixdmg.
    schouldnt we use heavy weapons then ?

Quote Originally Posted by Nyuriel View Post
    Well, but if u dont use the poison build and go for bleeding, arent there axes better?
    the bleeding-skills are weapondmg+fixdmg.
    schouldnt we use heavy weapons then ?
    The question was assassin weapon damage. It's pretty pointless to run a sin without at least 1 poison up.

If you want to spec for and run with a one-hit, big burst damage rogue - roll a sab. Sure the numbers look big on a critted assassinate hit and they scale with level, getting bigger as you go up - but so does the armour and mitigation your opponent has (player or mob).

The point is, a sin is not a one-hit, big burst killer, you need to maximise your dps while minimising your opponents ability to respond....hence the kick, blinding powder, stun etc.

Your dps is not just about strength stat and weapon dmg, it's also got an awful lot to do with dexterity, crit chance and proc frequency.

But hey, if you like running around with 2 axes, do it - just get your stats appropriate for those weapons through your kit and accessories.

EDIT: i find it all a bit frustrating when players confuse an assassin with a nuclear bomb. Assassins are simply paid killers, not atomic level nuclear devices.
    Last edited by Ellandess; 03-02-2011 at 05:55 AM.

Rift n. r-ift (pl. rifts) A 'rift' is what opens up between you and your wife when the game is live.

PC Black :: CPU Yes :: GPU Two thingies :: SOUND Pretty good :: OVERCLOCK A nice mirror :: WINDOWS 14, all double glazed

Beta Notes 6:

There should now be a much smaller difference in damage done with abilities using a fast weapon versus a slow one. This sounds minor but is actually a high impact change!
    * Fixed a bug where resistances were providing less than half of the mitigation they should have been.
    * Increased the base damage on all weapons.
    * Increased the base damage for all Attack Power-based abilities.
    * Auto-attack no longer benefits from Attack Power.

Pretty sure they normalized all attacks so the only thing that really matters is DPS.

Default You want a dagger specifically because of weapon speed

You want a dagger specifically because of weapon speed

Rogues have a 1 sec GCD..other classes have a 1.5
    so when you use a faster weapon you can weave autoattacks easier between your GCD's if you don't completely spam skills non-stop
    Last edited by Kinien; 03-02-2011 at 10:42 AM.

+ Reply to Thread