+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Marksmen soul set up without a pet .

Default Marksmen soul set up without a pet .

What would be a good set up that wouldnt have to have a pet ?
    I never liked hunter in WoW because of the whole pet thing .
    Lotro's hunters were fun.

I run a Marksman/Riftstalker/Sin
    Last edited by Brerre; 03-01-2011 at 05:27 PM.
    Brerre - Warrior Defiant Faeblight
    Bre - Rogue Defiant Faeblight
    Duncien - Mage Defiant Faeblight

http://nimue.enjin.com/

The focus for your Marksman soul should be to make yourself as mobile as possible, so enhancing your Swiftshot, picking up Hasty Departure, prolific use of Hasted Shot, and On the Double with Getaway are what will win you the day as a Marksman in both PvE and PvP. It's a little tougher in PvE though due to mobs having a tendency to keep pace with you. Saboteur just for the sticky bomb to slow down your targets is also highly advisable. Third soul can be the Bard or the Ranger, Bard for you since you're set against having any pets at your disposal.

As the class description on the main site says, the Marksman is a hit and run soul and should be used as such. You won't be able to stand toe to toe with things since you'll more than likely take the hits like a sissy and then fight for minimum ranged distance to be able to use your abilities. Keep on the move, watch your pathing to not get into more trouble, and you should be aright.

Alternately, find a partner that can be the frontline fighter so you don't have to move around as much and focus on your rotation. Course that functionality is similar to a pet, except the toon taking the hits is way cooler.

Soulwalker

During beta I paired Marksman with Bladedancer and Bard. That was fun and worked out well for me. Now in Live I'm re-starting that rogue with Marksman, Bladedancer, Riftstalker just to try out that combo.

Maybe this build is crap according to the experts and optimizers, but I play my rogue when I'm mostly soloing, with a little bit of grouping with friends when we play alts, and I find it to be lots of fun to play and I am not really dying unless I somehow get too many mobs on me

Most of the time, I get them almost down to 2/3 to half health with just the MM archery skills (more if I shoot from further distance meaning more time they run at you before hitting you), and if/when the mobs actually reach me to do melee on me, I pull out my twin blades and slice-n-dice.
    If things get ugly, the MM skills give you a speed boost, and Riftstalker gives you a "blink" so you can get out of melee range easy enough (doesn't help much with casters tho).

At level 9, here's what I got so far:

Marksman (4pts)
    • Swift Shot
    • Hasted Shot
    • Empowered Shot
    BladeDancer (4pts)
    • Keen Strike: 7-9 dmg (gives 1 combo point)
    • Quick Strike: (only usable after Keen), 12-14 dmg (gives 1 combo point)
    • Deadly Strike: (finisher), 42 dmg w/ 5 combo pts.
    • Twin Strike: 10-12 dmg to 1-2 targets (gives 1 combo point)
    Rift Stalker (4pts)
    • Planar Strike: 7-9 dmg (gives 1 combo point, generates heavy threat)
    • Guarded Steel: 41 dmg w/ 5 combo pts., +30% armor (duration based on combo pts)
    • Planebound Resilience: +5 endurance for 1hr
    • Shadow Shift: teleport forward 15 meters

Bladedancer gives you a dodge, and you can increase the dodge % with points, so that helps you reduce dmg in a pinch.

The one weakness or noticeable absence is a lack of self-heal but with the dodging and armor/endurance buffs, and slicin'-and-dicin', the mobs drop quicker than you do. I rarely have to drink or use pots unless the battle went badly (like too many mobs).

If you want to be supportive for a friend or group, then definitely take bard.

But if you liked hunters in Lotro, try out either bladedancer or riftstalker with MM. I don't plan on taking Ranger either, didn't want to remake a WoW hunter.

Soulwalker

I play a mm/sin/nb build. Most points are centered on damage output and cric % increase. No problem with mobs too. Mutiple mobs cld be a problem.

Pvp wise damage is decent. However I found that improved on the double is a must to get away from melee

If anyone is interested I could post my build but maybe later cos I'm using phone to do this

Soulwalker

Comparing wow's pet system to Rift's a big big big big BIG mistake. A simple MM (main) and Ranger (0 pts, get the pet only) is amazing, and the pet is very good by itself, no need to control it, and your dmg will mostly come from you, and won't be dependent on the pet.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Kolgait View Post
    Comparing wow's pet system to Rift's a big big big big BIG mistake. A simple MM (main) and Ranger (0 pts, get the pet only) is amazing, and the pet is very good by itself, no need to control it, and your dmg will mostly come from you, and won't be dependent on the pet.
    This

More to the point. While I love the mobility that Marksmen get (and I mean that) running into another mob has been my downfall numerous times. The Pet however with his high threat attack means less moving and thus less mob aggro.

Best of all, you can just ignore the pet most of the time. They function pretty well on their own, a few points in ranger role gets you added ranged attacks and a pet heal over time (a rather good one at that) allowing you to enjoy shooting that enemy from the security of 30+ yards.

Heck, in rifts when theres a tonne of mobs I don't know where Mr Hammerhoof has run off to, but I know he's doing his job.
    Last edited by Decoinferno; 03-02-2011 at 04:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Decoinferno View Post
    Heck, in rifts when theres a tonne of mobs I don't know where Mr Hammerhoof has run off to, but I know he's doing his job.
    LOL...I noticed the same thing last night with Curds. I figured he was probably dead, but when the smoke clears here he comes waddling back over. I don't even keep him on aggressive...just defensive, but during rifts he just does his own thing.

One difference from a WoW pet is that these little oinkers are wickedly good tanks. I'm used to sending in the pet (either my cat on my WoW hunter ages ago, or a guildmate during my lotro days) and giving them time to build up aggro before I start blasting. I even went so far as to map a hotkey to the "Curds, go eat that!" command. Now that I've been doing this a while, I've stopped using that and I just fire off an empowered shot and let him automatically charge.

Kudos on the excellent pet AI, Trion.
    Phillip Ian - Professional Good Guy

Molinar: Poutine (Rogue)

I run MM/NB/Riftstalker and love it. Level 21 build.

I've got an MM/Sin/NB built purely for damage, and it's quite good for the most part (currently 22) so long as I never get any adds. If I do, it's a coin toss as to whether or not I'll survive.

Quote Originally Posted by Kolgait View Post
    That only works until the pet stops leveling up with you. Then, you need to start dumping points into Ranger to keep using it effectively.

+ Reply to Thread