+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is melee rogue playable at 20-29+ at all?

Plane Touched

Default Is melee rogue playable at 20-29+ at all?

So Ive tried so many melee builds, tried melee with bard, focused on NB, focused on sin, basically Im getting STOMPED by everything. My lvl is low for this bracket (22), but anyway I should be able to kill something from time to time, but Im not. Hadnt had much of problem on ranger/MM in previous bracket. Personal skill is not problem either (skilled WoW arena player etc), srsly something is wrong, either damage is not here, controls too clunky or lack of reliable snares?

Anyone had any success playing melee rog in this bracket?

/discuss

As a 26 NB in Black Garden, I have personally killed the entirety of the enemy team in 20 seconds, starting with their back ranks and working up.

I had help, of course. Still, it appears that I am quite viable.

Scourge of Darkness is nice.
    Last edited by Alkonost; 03-01-2011 at 02:56 PM.
    Alkonost D. Alphard
    Colonel of 72nd Troll Interdiction Regiment
    Attorney at Lawl
    "The only thing to do with good advice is pass it on. It is never any use to oneself."

Soulwalker

imo farm black garden and teh fang carriers they drop really quickly, sin and the constant damage from the fang makes us the perfect fang killers imo. however as defiant i can get 6 fang carrier kills and still quite easily and regularly lose the WF.

Plane Touched

Alkonost, what is your weapon damage at 26? Maybe Im doing something wrong, basically without any form of CC what I do is opener, few hits for less than 50dmg each, then if im lucky I do 200 damage finisher -.- then they kite me forever while getting healed to full. Then im getting hit for some 500-1000dmg hits, seen even 1250 crit on me today, at 20-29 bracket, looks like brokne no?

There may be something wrong with my gear as well. But the truth is also i cant stay on target at all, any player with clue will just run and i cant do anything to him. You guys srsly are owning or just farming some random keyboardturning mages?

Quote Originally Posted by Zax1 View Post
    Alkonost, what is your weapon damage at 26? Maybe Im doing something wrong, basically without any form of CC what I do is opener, few hits for less than 50dmg each, then if im lucky I do 200 damage finisher -.- then they kite me forever while getting healed to full. Then im getting hit for some 500-1000dmg hits, seen even 1250 crit on me today, at 20-29 bracket, looks like brokne no?

There may be something wrong with my gear as well. But the truth is also i cant stay on target at all, any player with clue will just run and i cant do anything to him. You guys srsly are owning or just farming some random keyboardturning mages?
    At level 27:

With a full stack of Heat Retention, my Blazing Strike regularly hits for 390-420 as a ballpark figure. Crits go upwards to 700. Scourge of Darkness is 75-120 a strike, depending on what I had stacked before I popped it. Dark Malady buff, for example, seems to apply to it as long as you activate it when Dark Malady is active, likewise with Heat Retention. My biggest single keystroke burst currently is, actually, Scourge of Darkness/Planar Disruption, which nets four hits of ~80 each, sometimes as much as 200x4 on crits.

My gear is mostly greens with a couple blues. My weapons are pretty bad, actually, but hopefully the auction I bid on last night will solve that.

Mostly just stacking AP and Dex and crit rating.

EDIT: If I have Ebon Terror up and the enemy team lets me get away with it, at least two people will die in the 15 seconds it takes it to run, more or less regardless of healing that is happening.
    Last edited by Alkonost; 03-01-2011 at 04:11 PM.
    Alkonost D. Alphard
    Colonel of 72nd Troll Interdiction Regiment
    Attorney at Lawl
    "The only thing to do with good advice is pass it on. It is never any use to oneself."

Rift Master

Well, ranger/MM is ezmode.

As for melee, I find assasains to be lackluster in warfronts. Blade dancers arent bad but go nightblade.

The issue you have as a melee soul is how much CC everyone has, you run up to someone and expect at least 2 forms of CC on you, usually a snare+root/punt straight off.

Id say you just gotta fiddle with builds. Ideally Id say you want to get atleast 16 points into rift stalker (3 teleports+stalker phase+20% armour+15% AP-6% inc damage +6% end) then the rest how you want.

anything is viable with proper support. but either healing as a bard or IDK doing ranged lolsab or MM is a lot easier. Melee rogues will scale better as you level.

warriors and dps clerics are kind of OP in that bracket too (i ****ing hate hate hate that paladin self heal BS, should be a PVE only ability IMO but whatever, just sick of having one warriors dead to rights and then *poof* 100% health... melee rogues just dont have enough points available in their soul trees to buff their survivability enough or cover for the fact they are not ranged... it will get better though. I pretty barded my way through 20-29 though... (i personally have a sin dps spec, a bard spec, and a RS pve tank spec).

once you get to 31 and can buy slip away it gets somewhat better. it's still a little delicate though IMO for a 31 pointer. (ive had it break immediately a few times too, still kind of buggy)
    Last edited by Azath; 03-01-2011 at 04:22 PM.

i was the 2nd lvl 50 on faeblight leveling as an assassin, if that tells you anything

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixfire82 View Post
    i was the 2nd lvl 50 on faeblight leveling as an assassin, if that tells you anything
    It tells us that you got to pick your fights and stealth your way to quest objectives.

P.S. I want your PC.

I'm PvPing as Riftstalker currently and I'm doing quite well. I'm level 22 but I started using Riftstalker at level 20. I rarely die and I'm really hard to peel off. I end up taking the most damage out of everyone in the warfront. Plus I end up with more HP then anyone else. I'm at over 2k HP already with my buffs.
    Tyamin
    <Tuatha Dea>
    Level 31 Guardian Rogue
    Sunrest

Kidael
    <Tractus Apparatus>
    Level 16 Defiant Warrior
    Faeblight

Stop Losing! - a RIFT Warfront strategy blog (Black Garden Basics Posted!)
    @StopLosingRIFT - Official RIFT Twitter for Stop Losing!.

Quote Originally Posted by Misaligned View Post
    It tells us that you got to pick your fights and stealth your way to quest objectives.

P.S. I want your PC.
    actually i didn't and the spec with bard is capable of taking 6+ mobs at a time np. many, many levels were pure grind (10ish) and used under 20 waters 1-50. me too!

RIFT Guide Writer Kutsuu Isback's Avatar

I've struggled a bit with nightblade/assassin builds in PVP in the lvl 20 range, not really due to lack of damage output but due to lack of defense and HP.

Changed over to a full riftstalker + 12 bard build (with 0 BD for extra defensive cooldown) and doing much better albeit less damage.... Still get very high warfront scores thanks to bard heals and good damage/survivability.

+ Reply to Thread