+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Assassins: Savage Strike vs. Backstab

Rift Chaser

Default Assassins: Savage Strike vs. Backstab

So Savage Strike is the point builder you start out with. In the assassin tree there is an option to get increased dmg with Savage Strike when attacking from behind, however, Backstab cost the same and will always do more damage.

Assuming you are in a group and will have the mobs back the whole time is there any reason to use Savage Strike over Backstab?

Also this macro:

/cast Backstab
    /cast Savage Strike

If the mob is facing me will Savage Strike cast?
    Last edited by Rafkin_Yscar; 03-01-2011 at 02:52 PM.

Prophet of Telara

I don't have BS yet, but it seems like I've seen a lot of people say that SS actually outdoes it from behind. with the upgrades and extra 10% crit...interested in finding out.

Soulwalker

My SS has a higher crit chance and does more dmg just because i can cast it whenever. Time wasted when you think you are behind a mob or player and says error = dps wasted. I only haveit so i can test out serpent strike, but BS garbage imo.

Quote Originally Posted by rlsquared2 View Post
    My SS has a higher crit chance and does more dmg just because i can cast it whenever. Time wasted when you think you are behind a mob or player and says error = dps wasted. I only haveit so i can test out serpent strike, but BS garbage imo.
    um.no

SS does not ever do more damage than BS.. ever. use the macro he posted (im te one who tested it in beta 7, and posted it to the thread in my sig) it works.. it gives you error messages, but it BS when your behind and SS when your not. (does more damage cause you can cast it whenever doesnt mean it does "more" damage per GCD)

At 32 my backstab will crit other players for 330sh, and SS for less than 200. They do not even compare, and BS will scale better with levels cause of the increased Attack Power bonus (hint hint rftstalker +15% AP!). If you can line someone up for BS they will hurt a lot more than spamming SS. Also, any assassin worth a spit is going to pick up advanced flanking, which bumps BS crit chance by 6% and all your openers by 50%.... why you would want to use SS after getting AF is beyond me.

also keep in mind that jagged edge will pretty much crit on every tick with 2 points in advanced flanking.... havin all your openers crit is pretty boss.

Improved SS is a waste of points IMO. would only only only ever pick t up if was going for 51 point sin build

and just such that it is clearly said yes that macro works exactly as you hope it would.

Plane Touched

BS > SS in terms of DPS. In fact I've noticed in PvP that most of the people I fight start to run like chickens when the stun wears off, letting me BS the bajezus out of them.

Only instance is Warriors who will fight you toe to toe, at which I just use Primal Strike from the BD line.

Rift Disciple

Use the macro!! its just so so much better. Running around another player in pvp using an N52 nostromo gets in lots of backstabs increasing your dps considerably with advanced flanking. keyboard and mouse users have a hard time keeping you in front and mashing keys/mouseclicking abilities at the same time, so many turn and run which makes it even easier to backstab - never show a Sin your back!!

Champion of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Demvaril View Post
    Use the macro!! its just so so much better. Running around another player in pvp using an N52 nostromo gets in lots of backstabs increasing your dps considerably with advanced flanking. keyboard and mouse users have a hard time keeping you in front and mashing keys/mouseclicking abilities at the same time, so many turn and run which makes it even easier to backstab - never show a Sin your back!!
    I enjoy my n52te.. but you don't need one to macro the skills together :-p one is conditional, so you can put them on a single in-game macro.

so many turn and run which makes it even easier to backstab - never show a Sin your back!!
    From plate wearer to a pile of mud. Always great when they turn around and suddenly get annihilated by the *gasp* soul with backstab
    Last edited by Txzeenath; 03-02-2011 at 01:17 AM.
    CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition 3.4GHZ - O/C - Running 24/7 at 4.2GHZ
    GPU: 2x XFX Radeon 6970 2GB Crossfire - O/C to 935/1435
    Display: 3x ASUS 24" Monitors in Eyefinity(3240x1920)
    HDD: 4x WD Caviar Black 640gb 7200 RPM in RAID 10
    MB+RAM: GIGABYTE GA-890FXA-UD5 890FX -- Ballistix Tracer 6GB DDR3
    Cooling: Water cooled on a 3x120 rad. Running 10x120mm Yate Loons + 1x200mm Big Boy Fan

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Txzeenath View Post
    I enjoy my n52te.. but you don't need one to macro the skills together :-p one is conditional, so you can put them on a single in-game macro.

From plate wearer to a pile of mud. Always great when they turn around and suddenly get annihilated by the *gasp* soul with backstab
    Sorry thats what i meant, in game macro and then just one button press on the n52te

I always have a wry smile when they turn to run and think......... heres a kill

+ Reply to Thread