+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Assassin or NB as main?

Soulwalker

Default Assassin or NB as main?

Hello!

Heard of this game a few hours ago, read all the info I could find on forums and on web page for 2 hours and decided to buy it from steam (thats how awesome it seems to be).

In other MMOs I have played I have always enjoyed the stealth dps/glass char. So I have decided to roll a Nightblade/Assasin/???. So now I feel I need some help in deciding wich of NB or Assasin I should have as my main soul and wich should be the second. Right now it feels like assassin would be the better choise because of the permanent stealth later on. But is this good thinking or does NB have better skills higher up on its tree? And what should I have as the third (BD or rift?).

I am a PvP player that loves world pvp (thats why I really enjoy the perma stealth).
    Please come with ideas and see you in game!

pick up rift stalker for the utility features.

BTW you know that NB a quasi-ranged class right? (in effect NB and Assassin play very differently)
    Last edited by ralinsilver; 03-01-2011 at 02:19 PM.
    Ralinblack - Faemist - Onineko - Assassin - LvL 50 - Rank 2
    Ralinsteel - Faemist - Onineko - Warrior - LvL 10 - Fear me!

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by ralinsilver View Post

BTW you know that NB a quasi-ranged class right?
    I'm sorry, you mean it is a ranged class?:S The thing is I want the ultimate "sneaky death" build that can take out anyone in world pvp before they can even realize they got hit (if played very well ofc). you know, good stealth, great dps, root, snare, backstab ect:P a build that no one want to meet in 1v1 out in the world.

Like the assassin in AoC or the rouge in Wow or a stealth bomber in Eve online ^^ haha
    Last edited by Ramkha; 03-01-2011 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ralinsilver View Post

BTW you know that NB a quasi-ranged class right? (in effect NB and Assassin play very differently)
    This is crazytalk - Nightblade has some ranged abilities and a ranged finisher, yes, but is definitely a melee class. They are indeed entirely different playstyles though.

To the OP, I would say it sounds like you want Assassin main, although you should definitely try both.

For the third soul, bladedancer and bard are the two most common picks, and I would go bladedancer because it's going to be a long time until you can pick up talents in your 3rd tree, and the free dodge cooldown is great.

I'm now level 40, levelled as a Nightblade through rifts, pvp, dungeons and quests.

I have to say, this has to be one of the more fun souls to play, especially once you pick up Scourge of Darkness later in the tree and completely obliterate enemies in 1 quick burst.

This is what I currently run: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...o.iItRhogMsc.m

Open with Dark Malady (2CP) a Primal Strike or Fiery Spike, once at 5CP: Scourge of Darkness (self buff) and spam Primal Strike. If that alone isn't enough DPS to sate your hunger, use Ebon Terror and spam Dusk Strike, finish with Blazing Strike. Right now, the highest crit I had was 1700+ and will be even higher once I pick up 2/2 Magnify Pain and 5/5 Cruel Vengeance from the Assassin tree.

Trust me, give this build a go; you won't regret it.

I tried to edit my post but there's a 5 minute mark in which you can edit it, so sorry for the double post.

Also, it works surprisingly well in PvP as you can open out of stealth with a 2 second disorient, a 5 second silence, a 20% dmg buff for 8 seconds (which starts you off with 2cp, good dmg as well), a ranged sap (8 seconds in pvp I believe). Afterwards you can pop your DPS cooldowns to annihilate targets really fast.

I also picked up Blinding Powder for PvP mostly, but it is very nice to have a hard interrupt for spells. You can also take Improved Twilight Force for a ranged snare, or just use the Assassin skill Malicious Strike. You also get a 4 second stun at 16 points in the Assassin tree, as well as another 4 second stun at the 5th tier of Assassin. Definitely one of the more fun classes to play because you can toy with your opponent on a variety of levels.

My favorite is walking ahead of the fray, sapping a player who hasn't entered combat, lay my eyes on a healer, open when everyone is distracted and retreat to do the same again (unless there is a Fang to defend or attack.)

Hope this helps!

Jensuh
    Cloudborne PvP EU

Soulwalker

IMO Nightblade has more control as a primary and has just about everything Assassin has but can be done at a distance. I also had more survivability, anAd killed mob faster as NB/ Rang/ As than I did As/ BD/ RS, but this is probably because my pet was taking all the hits while I focused on dps. In dungeons (IT) though, I found that this combo sucks and lacks survivability (if the tank or healer ever dies)

Soulwalker

Im NB at the moment but im taking a greater amount of damage then i was as any other spec. Anyone know why?

Quote Originally Posted by shanelindh View Post
    Im NB at the moment but im taking a greater amount of damage then i was as any other spec. Anyone know why?
    what you need is ranger pet to take all the aggro in pve whilst you smush

Telaran

There is no reason to not have both... Currently rocking a NS/Assa/RS build and it's hella fun for both pve and pvp. The only thing lacking now is a better ranged aoe for leeching favor in open world pvp.

As for the build. There is loads of synergy to go for. Get all kinds of increased damage for combobuilders and finishers. Take all the improved crit and attack power. Then choose either physical or non-physical and improve that. And remember to remove duplicate abilities. Both kinds of stealth are the same and are helped by the assasin talents. Both ranged saps are the same so just use one on your bars.

+1 for Ebon Terror... That is some crazy dps boost.
    "The promise of a friend is to stand by you when you're wrong. When you're right practically anyone will stand by you."

I think bladedancer would be better than nightblade. Not very experienced with nightblade but I haven't heard good things, and you already get stealth from Assassin so don't really need another. Riftstalker is always a good choice for some extra toughness, and bard can help in a lot of situations too.

Nightblade/bladedancer/assassin might work actually, never thought about it.

Telaran

They do different stuff really... Blade Dancer gives better survivability and I think maybe better multitarget attacks. Nightblade gives some nifty ranged attacks with both ranged builders and finshers and snares.
    "The promise of a friend is to stand by you when you're wrong. When you're right practically anyone will stand by you."

+ Reply to Thread