+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ranger Soul with 0 points. Pet perception wrong.

Default Ranger Soul with 0 points. Pet perception wrong.

I'll start off by saying I am a level 26 Marksman/Assassin/Ranger. I have 0 points in Ranger. Pet controlling classes never really appealed to me but after creating my character, I came to realize: wow there's not much "controlling" going on...it's almost as if you're playing with a friend who tanks for you.

Here's a few things people may not be aware of when thinking of the Ranger:

When you summon your boar, they are automatically set to follow you with their pummel and charge set to auto. That means the boar will follow you, and when you attack something or something attacks you, he will charge in and immediatly grab aggro(90% of the time). He holds aggro extremely well.

It takes about 5 seconds to summon the boar. Boar requires no food or care unless u wish to heal him, which would require 4 points in the ranger tree.

If you want to pull single mobs from a group at a rift. Do not attack and try to spam follow to make the boar stay with you, he tends to charge in and grab aggro from everything there, if that happens, turn and run. Try instead of being 10 yards or more away from where u want to stand to pull, click stay, then run up and pull. Once the mobs about on u, you can back up and have ur boar attack it or follow you, if you click the follow he will auto attack whatever attacks you.

Having your boar summoned while trying to sneak by monsters is a double edged sword. Sometimes he will grab aggro off stuff that is hitting you, allowing you to stay mounted and flee, other times he will grab aggro off monsters you would not have aggrod in the first place if you tried to sneak by with out him summoned.

If you are a Kelari and use your talent to turn into that wonderful ethereal fox, it will automatically dismiss your pet. ( Which is awesome since your pet would grab aggro and get you killed )

He allows you to stand still and shoot your channeling arrows while he tanks, kind of like a friend who tanks for you and allows you to fire at will.

Be warned, at my level (26) he now has a hard time fighting more than one thing.

I've got static shot which is a marksman ability which roots your opponent in place for 5 seconds with a chance on damage to break. The nice thing about the boar is, if you static shoot something, he immediatly disengages and comes running back to your side so he won't attack and break the root. As soon as you attack it, he charges back in to your rescue!

That's pretty much it, any questions, concerns, or anything about Rangers with 0 points spent in that Soul, post away!

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Kalena View Post
    If you want to pull single mobs from a group at a rift. Do not attack and try to spam follow to make the boar stay with you, he tends to charge in and grab aggro from everything there, if that happens, turn and run. Try instead of being 10 yards or more away from where u want to stand to pull, click stay, then run up and pull. Once the mobs about on u, you can back up and have ur boar attack it or follow you, if you click the follow he will auto attack whatever attacks you.
    Or.....

You could do what hunters in WoW learned a long time ago. Keep your pet on passive and bind a key to pet attack. Your pet should do what you tell it to do, not what the game thinks it should do.

Quote Originally Posted by Absalon View Post
    Or.....

You could do what hunters in WoW learned a long time ago. Keep your pet on passive and bind a key to pet attack. Your pet should do what you tell it to do, not what the game thinks it should do.
    I like pve soloing with the pet without micro-managing it. Works fine without an attack command for a melee rogue. Piggy grabs aggro so fast you don't have to wait for it to hit first. I use passive where the OP uses follow on rifts. For a zero point pet, defensive/passive are pretty much all that's needed.

+ Reply to Thread