+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Good solo leveling Rogue souls?

Shadowlander

Default Good solo leveling Rogue souls?

Hey! I've been playing Warriors and Clerics all throughout the beta, and I've decided to try Rogue out now that the game has gone live. Unfortunately, I'm an alt-oholic, and so I have to have a set build that I deem as perfect before I start leveling my character, otherwise I'll just reroll and try leveling a new build (I know, I know, with the soul system I can switch souls later, but my brain doesn't work like that). That being said, I was hoping I could find some help here on which souls to pick and why.

I'd prefer to stay melee, and I've been toying around with soul calcs for awhile but can't settle on anything to level with. I'm thinking some combination of Riftstalker for survivability and Nightblade for DPS, but I honestly don't know if that's worth anything. I've also looked into Bladedancer, but that seems more useful once you reach higher levels and can invest more points and gear into a high dodge rating. Any advice or builds that you're willing to share will be appreciated!

EDIT: Corrected "Riftblade" to "Riftstalker"
    Last edited by Reiginko; 03-01-2011 at 12:34 PM.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Reiginko View Post
    Hey! I've been playing Warriors and Clerics all throughout the beta, and I've decided to try Rogue out now that the game has gone live. Unfortunately, I'm an alt-oholic, and so I have to have a set build that I deem as perfect before I start leveling my character, otherwise I'll just reroll and try leveling a new build (I know, I know, with the soul system I can switch souls later, but my brain doesn't work like that). That being said, I was hoping I could find some help here on which souls to pick and why.

I'd prefer to stay melee, and I've been toying around with soul calcs for awhile but can't settle on anything to level with. I'm thinking some combination of Riftstalker for survivability and Nightblade for DPS, but I honestly don't know if that's worth anything. I've also looked into Bladedancer, but that seems more useful once you reach higher levels and can invest more points and gear into a high dodge rating. Any advice or builds that you're willing to share will be appreciated!

Personally, Ive had alot of luck soloing with bard (up to the 12 pt heal), 0 pts in Ranger for the pet, and anything else for some added damage (ive been trying them all). I can survive multiple adds, with no problem, and doing ok in the rifts. The run speed and buffs from the bard tree are handy too.

Soulwalker

I did a lot of damage and never died (until I entered Iron Tombs at level 16) using Nightblade/ Ranger/ Assassin:
    with 5 points in crit chance in Ranger, and using Assassin for their poison buff.

Also if you went deep into bard for cadence healing, coupled with Ranger/ Sabo you would have good survivability, but wouldnt take mob down as fast as you would with NB/ Ra/ As' burst damage.

Most popular: Marksman/ Ranger/ Sabo, using Sabo mainly for the aoe slow effect. The burst damage from MM takes mob down as fast as (if not faster) than my first combo, and its speed buff makes it easier for you to go from mob to mob.

Soulwalker

I know you preferred melee but my solo build is Ranger/Nightblade/Marksman.

Most points into Ranger to beef up the pet's tanking ability and the ranged dmg is good.

6 points in Nightblade to add to Ranger skill dmg (Blazing Fury) and 1 extra point in Coup de Grace for Hellfire Blades.

LVL 30 http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0MiNf.V0o.vMsf00osom

RIFT Guide Writer Kutsuu Isback's Avatar

My best pure PVE build so far (that is melee) has been full nightblade with 13 points in riftstalker for extra damage/defense and the combo point heals. Can go w/e appeals to you for the 3rd one, but I use assassin for the poison or BD for the dodge timer depending on what I'm doing. Can take equal level mobs down to around 20% life by the time they reach me ( then build up 3-5 combo points spamming regular attacks until they die for a huge heal at the end. Makes for no downtime or money spent on drinks.

I'd still go a ranger build to level 1-15 or so, then swap nightblade/RS

This is what I'd be using at level 21, then just continue nightblade for DPS, eventually filling out some more riftstalker for all the plane shift DPS/defense toys.
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0MipM.iot.VG0h
    Last edited by Kutsuu Isback; 03-01-2011 at 07:38 PM.

Kao

Quote Originally Posted by Reiginko View Post

Ranger is hands down the best option for the beginning. The pig just can't die if you keep the heal up even against 3 mobs.

But (especially if you're playing on a pvp server) this specs is in my opinion even better from 30 onwards :

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...RfdobodbR.Vcbb

The killing speed is almost unmatched. You have ZERO downtime if you do it like this :

Stealth, Expose Weakness, DoT opener, Puncture, Fatal Blow or DoT Finisher if you have it (34 point talent), then build up combo points again but do not use them! Kill the mob with combo points up and you get a very nice heal.

Having Stealth also speeds up getting through zones or to quest objectives a lot.

Shadowlander

Give Bladedancer a try, the much maligned Soul. It's a great solo Soul. All the dodge/parry procs work perfectly whilst solo grinding. I started on in the betas and continue to enjoy it for solo questing. It's an interesting soul which I've paired with Assassin for crit/stealth boost.

If your going solo I would say stay away from going melee to much. Ive played beta and this is my 2nd role I use for when I quests, rifts, invasion defenses and even sometimes in warfronts is helpfull. I have had no problems putting out the deeps while keeping myself alive. You could replace riftstalker with ranger for the pet tank but personaly i hate using pets. hope this helps
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0Mcfp.xc.x0pom0c.Gh
    HPS/50 CLERIC - <FORCING RESPAWNS>
    "Your ither Pro or your Newb"

24 in ranger... the rest can be whatever you want really.

+ Reply to Thread