+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: WANTED: MM build without pet! Post ideas/feedback here.

Default WANTED: MM build without pet! Post ideas/feedback here.

Long time lurker, first time poster here.

I play NB as my primary role, but I'm not here to talk about that (in accordance with Nightblade bylaws).

For my second role, I want to use Marksman as my primary. Ranger is the obvious sub-soul choice here, but I don't want anything to do with controlling a pet. The pet playstyle doesn't appeal to me in the slightest.

Here are a couple ideas I had. Please add your feedback or other suggestions below. PvP and PvE suggestions are welcome.

MARKSMAN / NIGHTBLADE / SIN

Nightblade would gain the secondary soul points here in order to obtain the extra damage bonuses to CP-generating abilities and finishers. This also would allow for stealth (though not the permanent variety) and the Hellfire Blades ability. Using Assassin as my 0p soul would allow for poison as well.

To me, this seems like a good way to increase auto-attack damage. I am still not 100% sure that the weapon enchants apply to shots. Graphic effects would appear to indicate as much, but a cursory glance through the combat log provided me no clarification. Feedback on this issue in particular would be appreciated.

The stealth is useful for flanking and positioning in PvP. I only had the chance to play a couple rounds using this build, but the damage seemed sufficient in limited use. What I really miss out of this build is a snare, such as Adhesive Bomb or Crippling Shot. Without it, escapability is generally limited to using Repelling Shot and On The Double (talented to remove snare effects), as well as Static Shot when it is off CD.

MARKSMAN / RANGER / SABOTEUR

Usage would be sort of similar to above. Ranger points would be strictly for Crippling Shot in order to add a snare. Sabo would be for Adhesive Bomb, which is very useful in all forms of PvP. Of course, the ranger pet is free so any build including a pet would be wise to use it. I feel like I'd be unnecessarily gimping myself by not using a pet in this type of build.

MARKSMAN / BARD

Mainly for PvP, allows the Rogue to offer minor support by using Cadence talented to heal. Not a build I'm particularly interested in using since there seem to be tons of Bards right now, but could be useful if your team is suffering from a noticable lack of healing power.

Thanks in advance for feedback and suggestions!

How about MM/Sab/Bard?

Rift Disciple

Anyone tried out MM and RiftStalker? Put 18 points in to get Guardian Phase and get a couple of Shift skills so you can escape when they close in on you.

@Vaxxish

I see how MM and Sab could work well together, but don't get how the Bard choice would work in with those two. Care to elaborate on your thoughts with this combo?

@comicbookguy

I played around with RS as a main role in PvP as well as giving it a whirl at tanking in dungeons. In a mass-zerg PvP situation, it definitely is the opposite of squishy.

The warp could be very useful even as a 0pt soul. I worry that using guardian phase while focusing on my MM abilities will gimp my damage output, though switching to it temporarily in an escape situation could be the difference between life and death. At higher levels where there are a lot of points to be spread around, a MM/RS build could be very effective though. Thanks for the suggestion!
    Terk - Expert Marksman - Eternal IRON (Belmont)
    Eikke - Justicar (L4x) - Eternal IRON (Belmont)

My Marksman can beat up your Pyro...
    Terk's Guide to Marksman PVP (Cloak and Arrow style)

Plane Walker

This becomes an issue as you leave your 0 pt. ranger pet behind at lv 30 or so. Just a note, you can get an additional snare from (improved twilight force) rather than getting it from ranger.

I'm new to Rift, but couldn't you use a build like this picking up no pet talents and not bother using the pet at all?

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1M...o.ghtoqzAudo.V

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by comicbookguy View Post
    Anyone tried out MM and RiftStalker? Put 18 points in to get Guardian Phase and get a couple of Shift skills so you can escape when they close in on you.
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...V.xhtoqdAudo.V

Tons of mobility, loss of snares and some damage from the Ranger tree.

rwa
    Shadowlander

MM/Ranger/Infiltrator
    PvP
    1.) Stack to Crippling
    2.) Stack to Strafe
    3.) common sense
    WIN =]

Shadowlander

This is similar to something I used to use until they nerfed Assassins serrated blades not to work on ranged attacks, and I range a lot so it is essentially 3 wasted points. I don't expect serrated blades to do their full effect on ranged attacks but I wish they did something.
    I'm not talking about PvP, because investing ones self in PvP on a RPG/Equipment based game is for masochists.

Shadowlander

The one issue that I see if anyone takes the Ranger soul and uses points in it but not the pet is that usually the pets DPS is figured into the classes normalized damage and powers. So by not using the pet your gimping your DPS in some way. The same way if someone goes Warrior/BM and doesn't use its pet.

Soulwalker

I don't know if the OP is talking PVP or PVE.. but my dungeon build is MM/Bard and it's working very well. The bard buffs are very nice and having Cadence for backup healing makes for a pretty versatile setup. I have 12 points in bard for Motif of Regen and the rest in marksman.

PVE soling, MM without a pet is just annoying if you ask me... It works well if you have some kiting space, but otherwise it sucks. I guess you could combine MM/sab and have some tools to keep the mobs away, but still.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Umbradomo View Post
    The one issue that I see if anyone takes the Ranger soul and uses points in it but not the pet is that usually the pets DPS is figured into the classes normalized damage and powers. So by not using the pet your gimping your DPS in some way. The same way if someone goes Warrior/BM and doesn't use its pet.
    I thought about that too, but a lot of the first points are for the tank pet and the wolf that is mostly meant for PvP. From the looks of it you don't start wasting points in ranger for non-pet DPS until you drop 30 points into it, at which point you can get the blood raptor which is for PvE DPS. Plus if you have marksman you can use those attacks instead of the weaker ranger ones, bypassing at least that aspect of the ranger/pet balance

Quote Originally Posted by Arthrakis View Post
    I don't know if the OP is talking PVP or PVE.. but my dungeon build is MM/Bard and it's working very well. The bard buffs are very nice and having Cadence for backup healing makes for a pretty versatile setup. I have 12 points in bard for Motif of Regen and the rest in marksman.

PVE soling, MM without a pet is just annoying if you ask me... It works well if you have some kiting space, but otherwise it sucks. I guess you could combine MM/sab and have some tools to keep the mobs away, but still.
    Every time I tested a DPS build with bard my DPS went down, not up compared to having another soul to increase my DPS. Bard buffs don't 'shine' unless their used on multiple people and lean on them hard I find, So i just made a full bard build when I want to use some bard stuff in a group for a harder fight.
    Last edited by Neiloch; 03-01-2011 at 10:32 AM.
    I'm not talking about PvP, because investing ones self in PvP on a RPG/Equipment based game is for masochists.

Shadowlander

I agree in Beta I had a Range/Bard/Sab (though I didn't use sab too much). And the ability to sit back let the pet tank and pewpewpew was awesome!
    I'd open with the Ranger Bleed for 2 points, cadence to 5 then pop a finisher, usually Coda of Wrath since it couldn't be dodged/parred or blocked. And yes people loved the constant bard buffs along with the steady trickle of HP due to the cadence specced heal.

OP here.

I was just seeing what's out there for PvE and PvP, nothing specific.

A lot of the builds posted are some nice ideas for endgame. I'd welcome suggestions for leveling as well.

Right now, I'm running a 12 NB/20 MM at level 24 for PvP and playing around with different combos for 0pt souls.
    Terk - Expert Marksman - Eternal IRON (Belmont)
    Eikke - Justicar (L4x) - Eternal IRON (Belmont)

My Marksman can beat up your Pyro...
    Terk's Guide to Marksman PVP (Cloak and Arrow style)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast