+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ranged rogues: let's discuss the best way to spend your "wasted" 3 assassin points.

Default Ranged rogues: let's discuss the best way to spend your "wasted" 3 assassin points.

It seems to me that you can go three routes: 3 in C&D, 3 in serrated blades, or 3 in the final blow buff.

Cases for each, at least in my mind:

1) 3 in C&D can actually give your ranged attacks more damage but require you to open from melee (danger!).

2) 3 in final blow buff is good if you're only splashing 1 melee soul and want some more oomph when someone sticks in your melee range and you're out of other tools.

3) Serrated blades buffs all of your melee attacks even though it's negligible, and if you're splashing nightblade you'll likely want to use blazing strike anyway.

Discuss.

Shadowlander

When it comes down to end game content with a range spec, having any kind of talent points that requires you to be in melee range is a waste.

Soulwalker

If you substitute NB for Assassin you can go for +15% combo and finisher damage, but that's more points used up than with Assassin and probably not worth losing +5% crit.
    The only second tier Assassin skill that seems worthwhile for being ranged is Murderous Intent for +4% physical damage (unless it doesn't affect ranged attacks, it doesn't specifically say melee), saving you 1 point over going with Serrated Blades or something.

Default ...

I'm personally running with cloak and dagger 3/3 because until i get paralyzing strike i can assassinate and follow it up immediatly with a repel shot to get range. The two combo points from assassinate's pretty decent. Just be warned you are pretty easy for mobs 2 levels or higher to spot. (w/o silent footsteps that is)

Soulwalker

This for pve? B/C .. melee for pve with a mainly range spec is just mind boggling. PvP i could understand. but.. pve???

you guys are misunderstanding the purpose of going higher into the assassin soul. 8 points gets you another poison, one that adds crit when you proc it. you can have 2 poisons on your weapons at any time, and they work with ranged. in tier 3, there blind powder and cruel vengeance, both very useful. tier 4, magnify pain. if you want, put points into poison potency, and then you get leeching poison. useful stuff to have for any ranged rogue.

I go MM/BD/'Sin. The melee skills I pull from BD so I just ignore the skills entirely from 'Sin outside of the Poison. 5 points doesn't make it worth much more.

Plane Touched

Why take Assassin at all after the Serrated Blades change? I'm trying to figure out why everybody acts as if 'sin is a requirement for ranged rogues. Is it Lethal Poison? That was always more the icing on the cake than a core reason to pick up the soul.

Soulwalker

OP: ah, okay. IN that case, 17 points id spent max in sin. IMO.

Ruthlessness: 5
    Improved savage strike: 2 increase crit chance ofsavage strike 10%
    Puncture: 1 bleed effect 2 combo points.. worth it.
    Murderous Intent: 2 4% phsysical dmg ( assuming thats all dmg that is not magical is physical so melee and range is physical)
    Cruel vengeance: increase dmg after critical hits 5 points or 4 and take blinding powder :1
    Magnifying pain: 2 points. must for this build imo.

17 points total. This is to multiply crit dmg potential. You get a paralyzing strike and malicous strike 70% movement snare.. which that and crippling shot.. you can kit very very well.

Option to multiply your sin and ranger abilities.
    Night blade: BLazing fury : 5 points 15% increase on combat point abilities (imo, very important for dps builds)

THats how i would spend points to get most dmg out of the sin tree for other souls. Now, i have no experience with a ranger only marksman so im not sure if you are mobile enough keep puncture up also but it will save 3 points on quickshot bleed. WHich go into reduce dmg and increase range dmg. I wouldnt take crippling b/c u have malicous strike 70% snare. . 15%crit chance bonus with range crit chacne and sin tree. +25% bonus for savage striek crit chance. This is a rough draft of ideas.. and im really tempted to make this my 4th soul.. been 41 i ahve the points lol :P

Question: Lethal poison.. does it give the bonus to your pet? if so prey on the weak would be nice. If not, anyway to increase pets crit chance or is it static? Again not experience with ranger.

Soulwalker

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...zxoc.MVRbt0boz

Going to try this when I get home.. its pvp based thou, Looking to add points in MM for single minded focus and increase fire power later repelling shot. Basicly, open up close use deadshot for more bonus, then use hasted shot to get as many double arrows as possible doing poison dmg and increasing my crit chance.
    +18% bonus crit chance (after all procs and buffs) +28% crit chance on savage strike.. and all the extra dmg oooo... i wanna queue and try this. I hope pet dmg is good...

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Soull View Post
    you guys are misunderstanding the purpose of going higher into the assassin soul. 8 points gets you another poison, one that adds crit when you proc it. you can have 2 poisons on your weapons at any time, and they work with ranged. in tier 3, there blind powder and cruel vengeance, both very useful. tier 4, magnify pain. if you want, put points into poison potency, and then you get leeching poison. useful stuff to have for any ranged rogue.
    Wait...you can apply poisons to bows and guns?

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris27 View Post
    Wait...you can apply poisons to bows and guns?
    poisons arent applied to weapons, its just buffs

solution dont sub assassin, sub nightblade and main ranger and mm as both ranger and mm have great ranged tools and things that add to ranged dps. not to mention the ranged sap you get from nightblade!
    Useful Rogue guides since I don't want to answer 50 billion questions anymore:
    Marksman, Ranger, Nightblade, Blink'Blade, Asstalker, Assdancer, and finally The Hoko Spec™
    Hoko, teaching noobs the way of rogue pve until 12/20/11.

Soulwalker

Didn't played rogue at beta at all, so whaats the problem of this like
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0M...qzAhdR.0AM0x0b
    spec?

+ Reply to Thread