+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Assasin: Dagger vs Sword (axes)

Soulwalker

Default Assasin: Dagger vs Sword (axes)

Hey guys,

I know this question has been asked before but I am asking it again with a twist. Most have said that, since poison proc and weapon dps has been normalized, there should be no difference from one weapon type to another save for it`s stats and dps.

However, most melee abilities deal weapon dmg + a value as dmg. Swords being slower, they have higher weapon dmg at the cost of speed. Since GCD is the same regardless of weapon type, shouldnt slower weapons be favored?

Thoughts?

thanks

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Nox156 View Post
    Hey guys,

I know this question has been asked before but I am asking it again with a twist. Most have said that, since poison proc and weapon dps has been normalized, there should be no difference from one weapon type to another save for it`s stats and dps.

However, most melee abilities deal weapon dmg + a value as dmg. Swords being slower, they have higher weapon dmg at the cost of speed. Since GCD is the same regardless of weapon type, shouldnt slower weapons be favored?

Thoughts?

thanks
    Daggers for sin since during that GCD your going to auto attack, auto attacks also have a chance to proc your poisons if memory serves me correct, and since your hitting w/ them more often your criting with them more often. The only rogues I can see rolling w/ swords/axes are your pure Riftstalker tanks, and your Dancers, all the others daggers all the way. OR mix and match sword/axe main w/ dagger off.. But I personally prefer daggers.

Soulwalker

They recently normalized damage to DPS values so it doesn't matter what weapon you choose.

I don't think so. As far as I understand it, that's what weapon normalization is. Meaning higher DPS will be your 'weapon damage' in the tooltips.

One thing I do wonder about, and haven't taken the time to parse yet, is whether faster weapons mean you'll have more chances at crits, which mean you'll have Cruel Vengeance up more often.

What it seems like, though, is they've normalized everything and added internal cooldowns on everything... mean, my best guess, is weapon speed won't even show higher rates of abilities like Cruel Vengeance either. So the only thing you do is look at dps and click need or greed depending.

Imo this is boring, but then again when has anything called 'normalization' ever led to more variation or become more interesting? :P
    -According to a Facebook quiz, I'm a genius.

Quote Originally Posted by Teriza View Post
    Daggers for sin since during that GCD your going to auto attack, auto attacks also have a chance to proc your poisons if memory serves me correct, and since your hitting w/ them more often your criting with them more often. The only rogues I can see rolling w/ swords/axes are your pure Riftstalker tanks, and your Dancers, all the others daggers all the way. OR mix and match sword/axe main w/ dagger off.. But I personally prefer daggers.
    This is the assumption, but I haven't seen in prove with parses.

As with my previous post, I suspect with internal cooldowns and other normalizations we just don't know about (crits... procs.. who knows) that you won't proce poisons more often with a 1.8 weapon than with a 2.1.

Now, maybe we'd see a change where a 3.5 sword, should it exist, would be reduced proc rate for poisons (with added straight bonus damage), but I don't think this will ever be the case. They've basically dumbed down the weapon system that there's no strat to your selections, it's just look at the stats and click need or greed, no planning a build around fast attacks, or slow but heavy swords, etc.

Basically, more boring, but shrug makes it easier for the people that don't want to think or plan as much.

Oh, for instance of internal cooldowns, watch things like your ominious shadestone (or whatever it is that heals you on procs). It'll fire off often on your opening attack salvo, but over the course of a fight I won't see more procs on my assassin build than on my ranger, despite a lot more damage ticks on assassin. But, with so many opening damage ticks possible, it'll often fire off with the opening salvo more often on my assassin (when it's useless lol).

Soulwalker

Didn't realize they normalized the weapons for stuff that says "Does weapon damage +15" to go off of your DPS.... I've been using swords/axes for the higher damage and it seems to be working out fine. Tried daggers but I didn't REALLY see a big difference. Most of the time I roll with sword mainhand/dagger offhand as an assassin... doesn't really feel like "assassinate" makes sense when I Backstab with a mace but if it gets me more damage in PvP I'm all over it!

Quote Originally Posted by silver2k5 View Post
    Didn't realize they normalized the weapons for stuff that says "Does weapon damage +15" to go off of your DPS.... I've been using swords/axes for the higher damage and it seems to be working out fine. Tried daggers but I didn't REALLY see a big difference. Most of the time I roll with sword mainhand/dagger offhand as an assassin... doesn't really feel like "assassinate" makes sense when I Backstab with a mace but if it gets me more damage in PvP I'm all over it!
    Yeah, it's awkward using huge swords, or even maces/hammers. I feel more like a ranger at times, than an assassin. But shrug, everything has to be made as accessible as possible or people gimp themselves and cancel accounts. :P

Soulwalker

Backstabbing with a giant mace? Who would've thunk it!

Soulwalker

Being able to chose between your weapon types is very refreshing. One of the problems with WoW rogues is that Blizzard pigeonholed them into using daggers if they wanted to do any significant damage. Being able to use any 1hander I wanted was a major selling point (among many) for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Talfellow View Post
    Makes sense to me... I mean if someone were to sneak up behind me and whack me with a mace in the back of the head....

Quote Originally Posted by Talfellow View Post
    I see the joke you made. You have earned my respect as a fellow punisher.

Plane Touched

Axes.

Because who doesnt like a crazed axe murdered ambushing people from behind?

Quote Originally Posted by kungfuchknoodle View Post
    Axes.

Because who doesnt like a crazed axe murdered ambushing people from behind?
    At top tier i plan to hunt down a pair of Axe's just for the "coolness" of being an Axe welding maniac.

Axe's, **** yeah!
    Last edited by ralinsilver; 03-01-2011 at 02:15 PM.
    Ralinblack - Faemist - Onineko - Assassin - LvL 50 - Rank 2
    Ralinsteel - Faemist - Onineko - Warrior - LvL 10 - Fear me!

+ Reply to Thread