+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Do Saboteurs benefit more from Ranged Weapons or from Melee Weapons?

Telaran

Red face Do Saboteurs benefit more from Ranged Weapons or from Melee Weapons?

Serious Questions I'm throwing - I know I just want to understand it all.

Thanks!

(and no it has not been asked yet)

Rift Disciple

The only time you should really be using your weapon is maybe to use a finisher after annihilation bomb pops your charges... or you could just detonate it again...

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Rebalance View Post
    The only time you should really be using your weapon is maybe to use a finisher after annihilation bomb pops your charges... or you could just detonate it again...
    This.. and for a finisher detonate by itself sucks.. so why not hit them w/ a deadeye? Can fire it on the move and it hits for more and your still at your 30 yard range.

Telaran

No no no, you misunderstood me because I might forgot something to mention:

I ment when you have to chose a PvP- or PvE-Reward and either can take Melee or a Ranged Weap. What do you prefer? or doesnt it matter at all?

Actually I'm just talking about the Bomb-Dmg - affected more by Ranged or Melee Weap?

Take your mind to other mmo's: Big Bow/Gun - Bigger Ranged Dmg. Maybe dmg doesnt scale that much with your Melee Weaps...?

Thats my concern

Soulwalker

I was wondering the same thing: in sab charge tooltip descriptions it says stuff like "spike charge does weapon + x damage". Which weapon is the tooltip talking about? I've done some tests and can't figure it out, main hand and ranged both seem to affect charge damage.

Good question that I would like to know the answer to myself.

Same goes with Bard, which weapons count?

im assuming since your range auto attack starts when you use bard and sabo skills its affected by ranged. of course i could be wrong

Fid
    Soulwalker

I was wondering this as well

Telaran

then lets wonder all together and hopefully someone release us from our suffering

I have done a test.

Remove all weapons - Can't use powers.

Add a single melee weapon - Can use power, hits for say 45 damage.

Remove weapon, add a different melee weapon - Can use Power, hits for say 44 damage.

Remove all melee weapons, add a bow - Can use Power, hits for 45 damage.

Add the two melee weapons AND the bow - Can use Power, hits for 44 damage.

in other words I saw very little difference AT ALL between different weapons. This was at level 19 or so, still in Freemarch.

So it seems that any of the quest weapons for your level range will do, and produce more or less the same results.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by gel214th View Post
    I have done a test.

Remove weapon, add a different melee weapon - Can use Power, hits for say 44 damage.

in other words I saw very little difference AT ALL between different weapons. This was at level 19 or so, still in Freemarch.

So it seems that any of the quest weapons for your level range will do, and produce more or less the same results.
    Although it may be true, it makes absolutely no sense. Damage and DPS is higher on Bows than Daggers, so you should be seeing higher damage with bows only if that is truly the weapon the tool tips are referring too.

There was a thread about this for bards a few days ago but I can't find it. They found that skills like Cadence (which are weapon + x damage) function based upon the weapon type you have *out* at that exact moment. Specifically, if you do nothing does your character have his melee or ranged weapons out? It appears that all skills that say "weapon + x damage" are normalized to just use overall weapon DPS, so it doesn't matter if you have higher top-end on one weapon or another, as long as the DPS is the same.

In the previously mentioned test, you may have been using weapons that were approximately the same quality, which explains the similar results.

Quote Originally Posted by Carthoris View Post
    There was a thread about this for bards a few days ago but I can't find it. They found that skills like Cadence (which are weapon + x damage) function based upon the weapon type you have *out* at that exact moment. Specifically, if you do nothing does your character have his melee or ranged weapons out? It appears that all skills that say "weapon + x damage" are normalized to just use overall weapon DPS, so it doesn't matter if you have higher top-end on one weapon or another, as long as the DPS is the same.

In the previously mentioned test, you may have been using weapons that were approximately the same quality, which explains the similar results.
    Thanks for this information. I've been looking for that for quite awhile.

Rift Chaser

Additional question - How do abilities that affect specifically Melee damage, or specifically ranged damage affect charges and detonate? I've been meaning to test this (specifically with the MM tree), but havent had a chance.
    Does anyone know if the Armor pen to ranged attacks talent, or the attack power % booster after ranged crit talent (both from Marksmen) affect charges?

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by gel214th View Post
    I have done a test.

now THATS odd! so to say: why need 2 melees and a rnged weap? just carry one and you deal the same amount of dmg.

wtf

+ Reply to Thread