+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By qop
  • 1 Post By Shas
  • 1 Post By Taerentym

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Scything strike explanation

Rift Chaser

Default Scything strike explanation

Since we are into the "bug" report for prima, i always wanted to have an explanation about scything strike.

So here is the spell :
    Scything strike explanation-ss.png
    For the legendary version it says non prima lord abilities have a chance to cause this ability to deal damage automatically.
    Does it mean it should proc the legendary version of it , or the normal ?

At the moment it proc a mix of both of these which is weird. The Proc damage is tagged as Normal Scything strike on the rift meter, but it give the 120% more damage for all spells , like if it was the damage boost from normal one but to all spells like the legendary one.

Is it a bug or is it intended that it give a mix of both version ?
    Last edited by Hokhmah; 12-19-2019 at 10:34 AM.
    Hokhmah@Brutwacht
    Pseudo support, Prima raiding specs
    You have questions about prima ? Ask them here !

qop
    Soulwalker

A quick recap on how the legendary works (or rather worked 6 months ago when I last played my prima) just to make sure we're on the same page:
    (1) it does damage equal to the normal version.
    (2) it gives you a 3-second buff that increases the damage of all abilities.
    (3) 85% increase when used explicitly, i.e. when cast, i.e. not a proc. In this case, both the damaging ability and the buff are called Legendary Scything Strike.
    (4) 120% increase when procced. In this case, both the damading ability and the buff are called Scything Strike.
    The ability in (4) is not the same as the normal version of Scything Strike, it just has the same name.

Rift Chaser

Yes, so i wanted to have some explanation on why it use both version for the proc.
    Why normal proc and not legendary?
    Why 120% boost from the normal instead of 85% from the legendary?
    Why 120% for all and not as stated in the normal one 120% for bloodletting only?
    It could be nice to see why this spell work like this.
    Hokhmah@Brutwacht

qop
    Soulwalker

To please minmaxing micromanagers and those willing to test their reflexes and multitasking? As in, "here's your "dull and lame and boring" guaranteed 85% boost, but if stars align and you're quick enough, you have a chance of getting a 120% boost without ruining your rotation (gl with that you aussie suckers, bwahaha) and dieing in red!"

As to why you get both legendary and normal version of the proc damage in Rift Meter, I have no idea, sorry. I'll test this right after the servers go back up. Because I've never seen the legendary version of the proc before.
    Last edited by qop; 12-19-2019 at 08:57 AM.

5.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #5

I marked it down as it does seem a bit confusing and possibly clarification could be made further to the skill tooltip or proc itself. Either way we'll definitely look at it thank you!

qop
    Soulwalker

So I tested and couldn't reproduce, i.e. I was only getting the 120% version. It's called Scything Strike, without the "legendary" part, and the buff tooltip mentions 120%. Any chance you have Scything Strike in your spam macro? :P

I used the 21/18 ranged FB/MW build. The rotation was 1) spam to 100% fury, 2) FB or MW, 3) goto 1.
    Spoiler!

Rift Meter:
    Code:
    https://pictr.com/images/2019/12/20/5fhvzA.png
    Please ignore the numbers - my eyes were on the screen where kalerts for SS and LSS were supposed to appear, so my FB and MW casts were pretty random in their respective order.

And here's spamming only LSS for 2 minutes straight:
    Code:
    https://pictr.com/images/2019/12/20/5fhFA6.png
    Last edited by qop; 12-19-2019 at 10:39 AM.

Rift Chaser

No scything in spam, i just wanted to say that when you do your rotation, you see the manual cast (Legendary) and the proc (normal) both on Rift meter.
    That's why it's confusing for some new player.
    For veteran it's fine we are used to it. But for newer player that put point into the legendary SS and seeing normal in their parse could be confusing.
    Hokhmah@Brutwacht

qop
    Soulwalker

LOL. If the question was why both in rift meter, then yes, because one (normal) is the proc, and the other one (legendary) is your manual cast. In the OP the question was why it procs both (which it doesn't as you can easily test yourself), then why 120% in proc while 85% in manual, the answer to which is you're confused, go get some sleep. :P
    And now look what you've done - this thing "got marked down", and everyone and their dogs knows what that means. :P

Rift Chaser

I never said it proc both. I said the proc was a mix of both version. The all damage boost from legendary and thé 120% from normal.
    Maybe i'm not the one who need sleep
    Hokhmah@Brutwacht

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by qop View Post
    LOL. If the question was why both in rift meter, then yes, because one (normal) is the proc, and the other one (legendary) is your manual cast. In the OP the question was why it procs both (which it doesn't as you can easily test yourself), then why 120% in proc while 85% in manual, the answer to which is you're confused, go get some sleep. :P
    And now look what you've done - this thing "got marked down", and everyone and their dogs knows what that means. :P

Legendary is manual use, Normal is procc. This and it mixing up the 120%@ One specific ability and the legendary @whatever comes next is the main bug on it.

I wellcome the little 'if - then' rng but atm you can do good without managing the procc.

But the already strong Sharknado and the pve PL+FB specs get free 35% out of thin air all the time from it. Unless you max with it to the teeth, it's an exploit that is so present and automated, that you can't even *not* use it.

Usually everyone tries to pm bugs like this but this SS exploit is reported so long ago and in the game for so long, its part of the meta and the whole 'Prima dd so op' Theme.

Fixing SS and HFB in the first place and Drud/Inq wouldn't have needet to be balanced in that high.

SS proccing +35% every 4-5 sec on various abilities leaves a non-deserved 5%-9% Passive+free bonus for 'FB exploiters' and the #1 pvp spec.

Cheers for bringing it up once more with a great chance for a fix hokh.

HotPot parses around 1.5m ish with the SS bug (not actively exploiting it) (SS bug- cant help it | Tracking ss to hit FB with it - exploit)

So Druid 1.6m, Shaman 1.48m and Inq 1.55m suddenly look absolutely beefed up compared to spiffy 1.43, HotPot ~1.43(post ss fix), MetaPyro ~1.45(pts status) and RB 1.33

#Balancing affects all
    And while you browse, read and find help - consider leaving a like.
    It doesn't mean anything but to the author.

11.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #11

Wait so this issue has to do with RIFTMeter Addon? 👀👀

qop
    Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Taerentym View Post
    Wait so this issue has to do with RIFTMeter Addon? 👀👀
    This has nothing to do with rift meter or with the OP. It has to do with a failure to communicate one's own thoughts. God, I now feel for you guys if you have to deal with this for bug reports on a daily basis.
    Anyway, as it turned out, the question was why the legendary works the way it works. The way it works is described in post #2. The question is in post #3: why different numbers, i.e. why 85% when cast manually and 120% when it's a proc.

Quote Originally Posted by qop View Post
    This has nothing to do with rift meter or with the OP. It has to do with a failure to communicate one's own thoughts. God, I now feel for you guys if you have to deal with this for bug reports on a daily basis.
    Anyway, as it turned out, the question was why the legendary works the way it works. The way it works is described in post #2. The question is in post #3: why different numbers, i.e. why 85% when cast manually and 120% when it's a proc.
    And post #10 explained you the issue with the normal version. What's the matter. Also there are way older detailed posts to that topic. But they were made at Trion times and are burried unsolved:P

@Taetae:

The issue is the procc of legendary Scything causes abilities to procc the NORMAL Scything Strike

Either it was intendet to procc the normal Scything Strike, which should only affect one specific Ability by 120% (Primal Lord's Bloodletting - which is **** and deffo needs 120%)

..or to procc the legendary again which should grant a buff of 85% for almost any ability that comes next. (which the tooltip suggests claming ''thiso ability'')

But it grants a completely out of place buff of 120% (instead of 85%) for almost ANY ability that comes next.
    This gives free 5-9% dps from a bug without any extra effort. (#2million+ dps Primalists in 2018)
    Last edited by Shas; 12-19-2019 at 03:53 PM.
    And while you browse, read and find help - consider leaving a like.
    It doesn't mean anything but to the author.

14.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #14

Thank you as I don't play primalist personally as it's possibly the most confusing thing to me (this confirming such) you guys have taught me something today, and we'll hopefully get something resolved thank you all for making me learn 😁😄

+ Reply to Thread