+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Harumph

Thread: Primal Lord is bad (for group play)

Rift Chaser

Default Primal Lord is bad (for group play)

Welcome to part 1 of Primalist Souls that Make Me Sad: Primal Lord.

So, when it was designed, Primal Lord was supposed to be our "go to" spec for group stuff - you know, dungeons/raids. Unfortunately, it is not good at this role. Here's why:

Damage

Single target damage is not competitive, even on a boss who is nice enough to stand still (more on that later). Part of this could be tuning, another part is that there are no good off-soul legendary abilities for Primal Lord.

Primal Lord bounces between cunning and fury a lot, so you'd think it would work well with the eternal weapon effect. The buff is up all the time, however only Hawk's Wrath and Thresher's Maw benefit from it. Every other ability does not, since they are neither cunning nor fury abilities.

Cleave damage is not good either. This is more of a design flaw that a tuning issue. Scorpion Pierce only hits targets in a short straight line, so it's tough to hit all the things you want to. It also does not hit very hard. It causes Bloodletting to hit 3 more targets, and Bloodletting is Primal Lord's weakest skill. It's better than nothing, but not by a lot.

OH GOD THE BOSS MOVED

So here's where more issues pop up. Primal Lord zero ways to deal with disconnects. It has no ranged abilities, and it's hard to use abilities from other souls, as they will mess up your strict rotation and eat up buffs you need.

It also does not have a charge, or any speed boosts. It does have a teleport though, so hopefully the boss is exactly 15 meters away. It's a pure melee soul with no way to help stay in melee range.

OH GOD THE BOSS IS CASTING SOMETHING

I'll just interru.. wait, Primal Lord doesn't have an interrupt? Originally, the design was to go at least 5 points in Predator and get an interrupt. That was fine when Font of Obliteration and Wild Spirit affected Primal Lord abilities - but they don't anymore.

You can still do that, but it a dps loss compared to where you could be spending those points, but also.... Interrupting is a dps loss on it's own! This is because using an interrupt uses up buffs like Scything Strike, whose "Effect ends when you use any ability"

OH GOD I'M DYING

Primal Lord is the only melee soul that has no self healing, shields, or any emergency cooldown. HA HA, just kidding, there's two souls like that. Oh, poor Predator....

SAY SOMETHING NICE YOU JERK

Primal Lord has cool animations. Also, it doesn't have a ramp-up time, so it is good at target switching. (As long as those targets are either 0 or 15 meters away!)

TL;DR?

Primal Lord needs more damage and more utility.
    Last edited by Harumph; 05-17-2018 at 07:36 PM.
    Nivv <Stack More Crit>
    Nivva <Stack More Dodge>
    5th best primalist NA (also 5th worst)

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Harumph View Post
    Part of this could be tuning, another part is that there are no good off-soul legendary abilities for Primal Lord
    Totally agree with you about legendaries , the only one i found that is somawhat usefull , is rend spirit from farseer tree , since it's off GCD you can cast it just before Hawk's Wrath so it doesn't mess up SS and bloodletting stacks. But no other one fit in the rotation.

So here's where more issues pop up. Primal Lord zero ways to deal with disconnects. It has no ranged abilities, and it's hard to use abilities from other souls, as they will mess up your strict rotation and eat up buffs you need.

It also does not have a charge, or any speed boosts. It does have a teleport though, so hopefully the boss is exactly 15 meters away. It's a pure melee soul with no way to help stay in melee range.
    I'd like to see something for this. No way for disconnect is hard on some bosses , even if the spec was competitive. For exemple, Panther Claw could make you charge the ennemy , if you use it in fury, it will loose it's damage bonus , but allow primalist to move around, it's better than not moving at all.

This is because using an interrupt uses up buffs like Scything Strike, whose "Effect ends when you use any ability"
    This should be "Effect ends when you use any damaging ability". This will allow us to use the pull from dervish if needed, or just jump out of something with Jungle Rush without losing the damage boost.

Primal Lord needs more damage and more utility.
    I'd like to get rid of the root , it will allow one more utility spell in PL spec. Maybe change scorpion pierce too , it's better to just ST damage all enemies than using this ability.

Overall i agree with averything you said. Primal lord is a nice soul , with nice abilities and animation , but it needs more synergy with others souls , more damage and utility.

Shadowlander

I think you should take a closer look at primal lord. While i agree that it is a terrible soul to put 31 points in, i suggest looking at 26 point PL hybrid with Vulcanist. You would be surprised the kind of damage it will do if played correctly. While this spec is melee it is also roughly 50% ranged so disconnects arent a problem. Additionally, the legendary abilities in vulc and PL together share critical parts in the rotation which Will take you from full fury to full cunning and back to full fury within roughly 8 GCDs. The spec is ideal for those who have a higher CP rating as it does use leg FB. But its still very effective with low gear. As for the self healing. There is still none. But if you are in a group there should be someone capable of saving you from death. Im half T1 and half T2 gear with 39.8% CP and this spec pulls 1.4 million on a dummy with no raid buffs or consumables even after this last patch addressing buff stacking. Again i agree that 31 PL is terrible, but all of your arguments are basically thrown out when looking at hybrid specs. Oh and ill just add this to the end here. This spec if played right will have cleave.
    Last edited by Iuisa; 05-22-2018 at 01:00 PM.

+ Reply to Thread