Closed Thread

Thread: Best Mage PVP Spec/Class

Thumbs up Best Mage PVP Spec/Class

Best Mage PVP Spec/Class

Greetings all...

I recently pre-ordered RIFT yesterday.. and will be playing tonight at the head start.. I never got a chance to play the beta but have been browsing through the forum but yet to seen something that catchs my eye with confidence.. I really wish to hit the ground running with a good PVP class tonight..

So if possible could anyone tell me the best PVP spec/class, personally from what I read warlock/necro sounds my style from playing a lock on WoW I really enjoyed the infliction side with dots.. but i'm open to other suggestions and if necro/lock is a good method could anyone link the best fotm spec for it in PVP.. I just hope it does enough damage not a 2 shot melee type of mage..

Anyway any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Yomangoman

any response would nice

You haven't learnt a thing have you.

Rift Disciple

Warlock/Dom as your main souls...and maybe necro for your third at least until 30 i wouldnt put points into necro though. If you spec right youll end up with constant DoT damage on a ton of targets along with the ability to just piss people off with Dominator spells silencing/slowing/rooting them over n over. Or you could do Dominator/Chrolomancer which wouldnt do very well 1v1 but in a Warfront(Rifts battlegrounds) youd be great, youd be able to do decent damage...while healing yourself and allies and also you all the same CC from dominator that the other spec would.

Quote Originally Posted by Yomangoman View Post
    Best Mage PVP Spec/Class

Greetings all...

I recently pre-ordered RIFT yesterday.. and will be playing tonight at the head start.. I never got a chance to play the beta but have been browsing through the forum but yet to seen something that catchs my eye with confidence.. I really wish to hit the ground running with a good PVP class tonight..

So if possible could anyone tell me the best PVP spec/class, personally from what I read warlock/necro sounds my style from playing a lock on WoW I really enjoyed the infliction side with dots.. but i'm open to other suggestions and if necro/lock is a good method could anyone link the best fotm spec for it in PVP.. I just hope it does enough damage not a 2 shot melee type of mage..

Anyway any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Yomangoman
    Most ppl who've played the betas agree mage can be a tough class in PvP, mage burst dmg isn't off the charts like in Warhammer or other MMOs you've tried.

I had a Necro/Lock in the betas and it's a fun soul combo, godlike in PvE once you get soul purge and the better tank, the skeletal knight you can solo Rifts no problem.

Try Necro/Lock/Archon so you get the Archon 0 point Searing Vitality endurance buff which at higher lvls makes a nice impact on your hp pool.

It's a dot heavy build, so you'll have to dot up an opponent and once you build up enough charge, hit soul purge to keep you and your pet going while draining him down. Zealot is the favorite 1 on 1 pet atm (caster pet is bugged, they don't seem to spread dots like intended). So dot up, sick your pet on the other player (use Grave Rot for Deathly Calling, not Plague Bolt, it's faster and will build Deathly Calling stacks easier) and again once your charge bar is full hit soul purge to burn him down.

Soulwalker

if u guessed that mages in this game would be a glass cannon like every other mmo, u guessed wrong. try a rogue. there is no fotm for mages lol.
    Last edited by lala_au; 02-24-2011 at 06:15 AM.

I would like if possible you to give me a talent tree build of what you suggested or necro/lock/archmage build sounds nice or any other viable PVP spec that produces good dmg and good power as a class with the right player behind.

"Hey guys I CBA to look up abilities of the class I plan on playing can you make my character and tell me what I'm doing exactly?"

Here's a hint: You want to play a saboteur and the rogue forums are that a way ===============>

If you want to participate in pvp, plan to be cc focused. Mage dps doesn't compare to the other classes at the moment. At least until Trion fixes the balancing.

Dominator soul tree has the best CC and control in the game bar none. Mage burst isn't amazing and if they do buff a burst tree pyro could be loads of fun however they would need to keep the burst out of reach of dominator or other classes will be screaming their blown up heads off.

On the bright side at high levels, 50 with valor it will be control/cc that wins the day as that along with heals get more important. Burst damage will be less important. So mages would theoretically be one of the strongest classes at endgame. I expect squirrel to get a nerf because it's too good in fact however there is so much other cc in the dom tree mages will just start using other tools more and there are plenty.

Persevere.

Closed Thread