+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: For soloing, would you recomment Necro/Chloro or Elemental/Chloro?

Default For soloing, would you recomment Necro/Chloro or Elemental/Chloro?

I've been messing with the search feature for a couple hours now and it seems like there are good things for both sides, but obviously one is going to be better than the other. No matter which side your on though it seems that it's fairly commonly agreed on to go 51/X/X and max out the pet tree if you want to be a summoner. That doesn't leave a whole lot of points for Chloro though, and it seems like you would really get a lot of benefit out of natural fusion and natures touch if your trying to solo, but I could be wrong, that sacrifices something like 10% of your pets damage for taking the points out of the summoning tree. Then again, survivability may be more important than the damage lost.

Anyway, what's your opinion on the best build for wanting to solo pretty much anything you come across? Does it come down to which one has the better tank? Does it come down to which one has the better pet support? I see to many arguments for either side and have no real in-game experience as of yet so I have nothing to base an opinion of my own on. I could just play both but I despise leveling a setup just to find out later on down the road that I'm doing it wrong.

I plan on doing mostly solo PvE with this toon, PvP is 100% secondary in consideration.
    Last edited by Darcrai; 02-16-2011 at 08:16 AM.

Prophet of Telara

The best for soloing anything you come across is Elementalist/Chloro imho. I honestly don't think that the 51 point is going to be that great on the ele tree - the Necro swarm pet turned out to be a major disappointment... and you certainly don't need it. A build like this mebbe? I've played a Chloro/Ele going high enough in the Ele tree to get the Grtr Earth Ele and there was little or nothing I couldn't take on. I watched small groups fail at some content, which I then happily soloed with no trouble at all with my Chloro/Ele.

Necro/Chloro is also a great build to play... but for my money the tank pet isn't anywhere near as good as the Ele tank. If you need to be focussed on healing, then working in the pet enhancing dots/nukes to keep the pet at its best can be tough... but when you don't need to focus on healing so much, you can work Necro damage in alongside your chloro heal dps better than you can work lightning strike in though... it's certainly an excellent and very survivable option.

You have much better mana regen options with the Necro/Chloro, especially at lower levels... but for soloing, the Ele/Chloro option doesn't really need in-combat regen that often. The Ele out of combat regen is usually enough and if you get into a spot, the odd mana potion can usually help out enough.... but if you're planning on grouping or doing rifts/invasions etc with this role, then you might want to lean more toward the Necro/Chloro as those fights tend to be much longer and it can be difficult getting out of combat to regen.

X
    Last edited by XtremElement; 02-16-2011 at 08:37 AM.

if you're putting LOTS of points into the pet class, you don't need to take chloro. the pet classes have enough tools to keep their pet alive.

taking chloro will just make for substantially slower soloing with little benefit. if you come across something supertough for which your heals are too weak, you may switch over to a chloro-heavy spec and see if you can heal through it, but really, you shouldn't need to.

So roll Necro/Warlock or Ele / uhm.. wahtever else.

Don't bother with Chloro.
    Are you clueless? Is this your first day on forums? Do you have trouble reading sentences? Then this guide to soul selection is for you!
    For raw and uncensored rift foruming action go to: http://www.riftflames.com

Do Archons buffs benefit your summoned necro minions?

Prophet of Telara

Ach... so cynical Arieste?

I really enjoy playing my Chloro/Ele from time to time. You can just take on such a lot at once when soloing. And while you can heal the tank pet with Quicken - it's channeled and you can't be doing damage while you're healing him... whereas with the Chloro side you can be healing and dps-ing at the same time. And like I say... you can take down stuff with the Chloro/Ele combo that you wouldn't believe possible... and the OP did say:

the best build for wanting to solo pretty much anything you come across
    It's maybe not the fastest soloing build - but you can take on just about anything and be pretty much certain that you won't die if you play it half-way right.

X

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Arieste View Post
    if you're putting LOTS of points into the pet class, you don't need to take chloro. the pet classes have enough tools to keep their pet alive.

taking chloro will just make for substantially slower soloing with little benefit. if you come across something supertough for which your heals are too weak, you may switch over to a chloro-heavy spec and see if you can heal through it, but really, you shouldn't need to.

So roll Necro/Warlock or Ele / uhm.. wahtever else.

Don't bother with Chloro.
    Totally Agree. The only reason you would ever need to actually use the heals, is because you are taking points out of a DPS tree/Using non-dps abilities while your pet tanks.
    If you take out the time used to actually cast non-dmg spells, and take the points out of the chloro tree and translate that time and points into DPSing/DPS abilities....fights will end MUCH quicker....thus there's is no reason to heal your pet at all, the fights should be over before you have to (if you have any sort of reasonable rotation)

I play a primary Pyro w/ Sub Ele and Dominator (just for the CC when you take the soul). I never have any problems soloing....and seem to do it a lot faster than most.
    "Cowards die many time before death; the valiant never taste of death but once."

Shut up about the Queue, leave the server.

Prophet of Telara

Have either of you played a Chloro/Ele with the greater pets?

And as somebody who has failed to deal with content in various places on other roles and then switched to Chloro/Ele and had little issue with it... I'd have to question whether the 'more dps for faster killing = equal survivability' argument.

Just sayin'.... *shrug*

X

they are fun but I just like the fact that if I am deep in necromancer my pet does my damage for me It is a lazy mindless leveling spec.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by XtremElement View Post
    Have either of you played a Chloro/Ele with the greater pets?

And as somebody who has failed to deal with content in various places on other roles and then switched to Chloro/Ele and had little issue with it... I'd have to question whether the 'more dps for faster killing = equal survivability' argument.

Just sayin'.... *shrug*

X
    My Pyro/Ele is currently 42, haven't had a single problem in any quest/instance/rift envronment. That argument is conditional because you have to figure player skill and rotations etc into it. These vary from person to person. Overall, the theory behind it is sound, however.

The pets have enough HP to endure around 15-20 seconds of a beating from any single mob in your level range. That is AMPLE time to kill a mob in your level range if you are properly specced and rotating your spells right.

In that case, survivability shouldn't even be a factor, because your never being hit. For the odd situation where you accidentally pull more mobs, thats where play skill and inuition comes in. Either, don't put yourself in that situation very much, or learn to kite/transmo any adds you might have.
    Last edited by Telwynne; 02-16-2011 at 01:57 PM.
    "Cowards die many time before death; the valiant never taste of death but once."

Shut up about the Queue, leave the server.

Shield of Telara

Definately Necro / Chloro over the elementalist. The reason for this is that necro pets get better dps than thier elemental counterpart. Sure the elemental pets do tank better but who cares when the pet never gets below 50% health with chloro heals. Also necros get instant cast dots to use in addition to the chloromancer nukes. Also necros can tap thier pets for mana and its instant cast, where as the elementalist has to channel more mana. Add in the fact that necros get feign death in case you pull more than you can handle.

Also necros get a few more healing options when chloro healing is not an option. As for pulling more than one npc, with the necro / chloro i have been able to pull 4 npcs at a time and kill them with no downtime whatsoever.

So to summ it up necro / chloro has better dps, better mana regen, and FD as your ticket out if the SHTF.

Necro/*.

Feign Death is awesome and Soul Purge is the only direct charge->damage/healing skill I'm aware of (10 charge directly translates to a tick of damage AND healing - the buffs that consume charge are going to be affected heavily by cast time/movement and you can cut the channel of Soul Purge short with no loss of resources). I'm 37 necro/lock/dom - start and end every fight at 100% HP/MP/Pet HP and pull 2-3 mobs every time. It's glorious.

Rift Chaser

i have a ele/ pyro / dom build for solo pve. one point in the pet heal provides 75% of the pets health over 5 secs with no cool down. the chloro heal has a 10 sec for single and 20 sec for group heal cool down. also after level 20ish the chloro dots heals didnt keep me up on my soloing chloro/ war / archon build and had to start using the single and group heals. not a big fan with the chloro as a sec or third soul with ele. ele spam spell is rather weak imo. the buff it gives doesnt make up for it either.

greater earth pet is a monster tanking up to 5 at once usually not by design though. pyro is awesome dps 3-5 casts and average mob is dead. dom has free squirrel for the pesty add that comes up behind you. the only negitive is no self healing other than a potion during combat and drink after. there is little if any down time when you dont get hit. ele and pyro compliment each other very very well dps wise. (300 fireball noncrit at level 31). rotation is lightning strike, fireball, fireball and repeat if needed.

i wouldnt advise using the dom squirrel with a dot class. you cant squirrel a mob that is dotted.

it all depands what you want and what you feel comfortable playing. this build fits my comfort level. it might not fit yours. but it is something to think about trying out.

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Phanatic View Post
    Do Archons buffs benefit your summoned necro minions?
    Yes they do.

Thanks for all the replies so far, please keep them coming. It's a lot to take in, especially since it seems to be no real clear winner. Some say use Chloro, some don't. Some say necro, some say elemental. I suppose it's a good sign of things being fairly balanced if nothing else. I've been digging through the trees a bit, the earth elemental definitely does have a lot more talents for increasing defense, but the undead knight has various ways to heal with your spells. Why is it so hard! :P
    Last edited by Darcrai; 02-17-2011 at 02:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcrai View Post
    Thanks for all the replies so far, please keep them coming. It's a lot to take in, especially since it seems to be no real clear winner. Some say use Chloro, some don't. Some say necro, some say elemental. I suppose it's a good sign of things being fairly balanced if nothing else. I've been digging through the trees a bit, the earth elemental definitely does have a lot more talents for increasing defense, but the undead knight has various ways to heal with your spells. Why is it so hard! :P
    Well, so far iīm lvl 36 on my mage, itīs not my "main" char during the beta, so i mostly play solo PvE.

I have played as Pyro/Ele/Archon until i was 30+. Pyro is nice when you have proc luck, you can get high crits, i had ~950 max. cinder burst crits on lvl 34. Exhilaration and Leeching flames helped a lot with any mana issues and of course you get the 5% more fire dmg and buffs from archon. (someone should tell them to increase the duration of these buffs..5min really?) Ice shield from Ele and the pet also helped, but...the normal pet is kinda uselss now, it just dies too fast.

Now, if you are lucky and get a lot of procs from armor, crits..you are really fast but if not it just sucks. Especially in the more crowded zones, you are just too vulnerable and if you fight 2-3 mobs at once you are almost dead. The elfs in the 4th zone (donīt know the english name) crit me for 450 >.< I was always drinking, not to reg mana but life...

I wanted to play a pure dps build and not a 2nd class healer, so i wasnīt really happy with a ele/chloro build. Maybe because i played cleric before. Who by the way, can also be played as a good offensiv caster.

At one point i also tried a heavy stormcaller build, itīs nice with all the slow but the dmg wasnīt that great in my eyes. Some say itīs better than pyro because of the mana...but i canīt confirm this, mostly because i needed to cast more to kill a mob. But i only tried it for a short period, so i may have done something wrong.

However, 2 days ago i tried to mess around with necro/warlock. So far itīs like day and night. The third soul is dom, just for the cc, but i donīt plan to put any points in it. Necro/Warlock is just amazing, the better pets are though and you can easily heal them like crazy. The dots tick high (and can now crit too i think), fear is always nice, the self heal is great, you have zero mana problems. And even if you have bad luck and end up fighting several npcīs at once, itīs just no problem at all. You just canīt die, self heal, soul purge, Shadow Life, Fear, Feign Death, and later maybe Neddraīs Essence..itīs impossible to die.

For solo i will never spec back to anything else. For dungeons iīm not sure...i have tried to avoid them in beta because i didnīt wanted to see everything before the game goes live, but i can see pyro with a high crit chance to be very great, if you donīt run out of mana.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast