+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: For soloing, would you recomment Necro/Chloro or Elemental/Chloro?

Well this is definitely my favorite thread so far as the OP has the same playstyle as myself so I'm getting alot of good information here as well. From what it sounds like so far, the third tree really doesn't receive much attention so are we really just looking for 2 power combinations? I was also wondering if you could have the Necro and Chloro pet out at the same time? What about a Necro/Lock/Ele build?

Keep the great replies coming, I'm learning alot here that will potentially impact what I roll as my main come headstart next Thursday.

You can only have one pet out at a time no matter how many pet trees you have, the exception being the temporary "mass summon" spells.

And yea, from what I see, most of the time it seems that you take a primary tree, a secondary tree, and a "free spell" tree just for the defaults, maybe the 2 point spell, and that tends to be it. I'm sure there are exceptions but they seem rare.

So far I've tended to put my first 6 points into Ele - pet + recharge (ooc) + shield (REALLY good at low level) and then being alternating with the other trees. Ultimately I suspect I'll have a role with Pyro/Ele as main tree for dungeons and probably Necro/Lock for solo questing.
    I do not suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Exenisel View Post
    Well this is definitely my favorite thread so far as the OP has the same playstyle as myself so I'm getting alot of good information here as well. From what it sounds like so far, the third tree really doesn't receive much attention so are we really just looking for 2 power combinations? I was also wondering if you could have the Necro and Chloro pet out at the same time? What about a Necro/Lock/Ele build?

Keep the great replies coming, I'm learning alot here that will potentially impact what I roll as my main come headstart next Thursday.
    Well, in the case of my Pyro/Ele/Archon build all three souls matter for me. The 50% more crit dmg and dmg debuff from Ele is just too good for the allready hard hitting (if..you crit :P) pyro. And so are the 5% fire dmg and mana on crit/mana dot from archon. The buffs arenīt that bad either and you can easily keep them up.

But Necro/Warlock souls have such a great synergy that i aim for both 31p talents. The high point talents in warlock grant you flat out 20% more spell dmg (actually more...), then i might as well get the 31p skill. And you sure donīt want to miss out on Lich form from the necro.

Because of that i would never have a meaningful point for the Ele soul, and you already have several pets so i would say no to Ele as a third soul. Thats why i have taken Dominator, a 30s cc can always be helpful in my opinion.

About the third soul as a "gimmick soul", several players have stated, they have the feeling that the mage souls donīt have such a great synergy as the other classes, from my experience so far, i tend to agree with them. I feel i have more/better options with my rogue/hunter and cleric. But i can live with that

Soulwalker

From my exp, full chloro/6warlock/0 ele can solo very safely to at least lv 33(your lv 30 pet would have trouble holding aggro after that), I did all the group quest solo.

After lv 34, I tried necro/lock ,warlock/chloro, Ele/pyro. Well, every build kill alot faster than Chloro build. But none offer the toughness Chloro+ tank pet combo give. In the end, I choose Chloro/21 element for my pve questing soul, I know I give up killing speed, but I sure am hard to kill.
    Last edited by Java2; 02-17-2011 at 10:24 AM.

I'm only lvl 16 with a Necro/Warlock/Dom and I was kind of wondering the same thing as the OP, especially since I played a Mage in EQ1. But what I can do in the last few levels is great and I just getting the good spells/skills. I can take four mobs with issue, Pet can tank major rift mobbies with few issues. I am really enjoying him so far.

Once I have a few more "oh crap" tools like FD and Fear there doesn't seem to be many reason to die unless your going something wrong. Just hard for that old EQ Mage to admit Necro is better .

Nice thread btw, lots of good info, tyvm.
    Last edited by Belsandra; 02-17-2011 at 10:27 AM.

Soulwalker

I've been wondering about the elem build also, i play a necro/lock/dom and i have never had any problems, its easy to get charge to use your soul purge so my pet almost never dies. i would however like to see the elem build, i am working on another role for it but i could not decide on a second soul to pair with it.

Prophet of Telara

The pets have enough HP to endure around 15-20 seconds of a beating from any single mob in your level range.
    Aye... but when you want to go up against 5 or 6 mobs in your level range? Or against a heroic? Or solo a group quest etc - then the extra tankability of the Ele pet wins out.

There have been lots of suggestions here about why Necro works better - but that's assuming you're picking and choosing your targets or mebbe kiting or whatever. The OP did ask about a solo set-up that could take on anything it came across - and between Chloro/Necro and Chloro/Ele - the Chloro/Ele is the best for taking on anything it comes across.

As an example, I was running a Chloro/Necro set-up when I first went into the 30+ zone (Wound Wood? Scar Wood? Translating it from German hehe...) and happened upon a tough quest where they had cannon types and a cave. My Chloro/Necro honestly struggled a fair bit and I had to recast pets in the middle of battle a couple of times (exhume is a blessing), with tough mobs and several adds etc. I died once too. But I went in with my Chloro/Ele and strolled it.

I'd agree that a Necro set-up is often great for fast solo levelling. It's probably a good chunk faster for solo levelling and you can do a lot with it and there's a lot of cool stuff in their tools. But if you're after a set-up that can take on anything you want to solo... then the Chloro/Ele beats the Chloro/Necro.

X

So with the Chloro/Ele build, what are you using the Chloro's heal spells for? Are you needing it for yourself or are you healing your pet? I haven't actually ever played a Chloro so I'm not sure what their abilities are useful for. I've always thought of them as a "group" healer type not the solo/pet type. Maybe I'm missing out on something.. ?

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Exenisel View Post
    So with the Chloro/Ele build, what are you using the Chloro's heal spells for? Are you needing it for yourself or are you healing your pet? I haven't actually ever played a Chloro so I'm not sure what their abilities are useful for. I've always thought of them as a "group" healer type not the solo/pet type. Maybe I'm missing out on something.. ?
    I only use revitalize, stone armor from ele tree, plus occasionally AoE. Just treat your pet as a tank and let it keep most hate.
    Slow but stable.

Prophet of Telara

You're using the Chloro side to heal the tank pet and to deliver damage. So there are some changes you make in your rotations to bias it a little more toward damage than healing - because a lot of the time you won't need full on healing to keep the tank pet alive.

You use Stream of Reclamation and Withering Vines more. You definitely go for Nature's Corrosion and you're more likely to go with Accelerated Growth. You find that you'll tend to use Nature's Fury more often too - even on only 2 or 3 targets. You'll more often use Lightning Strike when it's available - as long as you don't need the time to heal the pet.

It's not the fastest - but it's not horribly slow imho... and it's very dependable and you can take anything on with it, pretty much.

X
    Last edited by XtremElement; 02-17-2011 at 11:43 PM.

Once again, thank you for the replies and discussion, it's showing me a lot of ideas for what to do for my solo toon.

I have to wonder though, even with necro/warlocks survivability, how does that compare to elemental/chloro using synthesis and it's attached talents? I would think it would actually pull ahead of necro/lock once it was setup, but having to go into two talent trees could cause issues. It does appear that you can go full necro (even to 51 points) without harming yourself whereas you might have issues going straight up elemental...

Prophet of Telara

Darcrai,

What I'd suggest is this. Run Necro/Lock as one Role and Chloro/Ele as a second Role and compare and contrast their performance yourself. That's the best way to get a feel for what each can do. Do a bit of content on one, then switch to the other while the content respawns and do it on the other role. Compare and contrast ease of survival, killing speed etc.

Even respeccing and trying different builds on each role, is very cheap and easy to do.

Make decisions for yourself, based on your own feeling and your own play-style choices. That's always the best way to go really... and with the Rift system, you can chop and change stuff very easily.

X

Soulwalker

guys i just got 1 question concerning necro.
    to me it seems my skelly cant hold any agro. i even tried waiting to cast till it landed 3 hits on mob. as soon as i start casting i agro mob from pet. does this get better or?

Yes and no. The first skeleton is a DPS pet, you get a tank pet later (12 I believe). The DPS pet does not hold agro well at all unless you turn off it's attacks that drop agro.

And yea, X, I plan to level both but...gah, I just don't know which to use
    Last edited by Darcrai; 02-18-2011 at 07:10 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast