+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stormcaller..I feel slightly overwhelmed.

Default Stormcaller..I feel slightly overwhelmed.

I'd like to try this soul out, but everytime I look at the tree and branches, I feel like I wouldnt know where to start with speccing and what spells to use and not use. Im really interested in PvP, so if anyone has advice on a spec and what spells are worth using and which aren't, PLEASE let me know. :| Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Renley View Post
    I'd like to try this soul out, but everytime I look at the tree and branches, I feel like I wouldnt know where to start with speccing and what spells to use and not use. Im really interested in PvP, so if anyone has advice on a spec and what spells are worth using and which aren't, PLEASE let me know. :| Thanks!
    The rift Beta Vets can probably improve heaps on this build but you get the idea.
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z...tssdR.Vdhz.Msb

You get most of the synergies of Stormcaller, the 12 in Chloro are pretty standard for Heals / cleanse, the points in Dom give you access to
    Transmogrify
    Priests Lament (vs. Healing classes)
    Reflective Command
    Charged Shield (good synergy with Stormcaller on paper, not sure how effective in truth)

For pvp pre 50 this should be ok, later i would definately get Archmage as 3rd soul.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z...o.xx0G0VVh.V0M

Is one of the stormcaller builds i'll be trying out. Currently at level 33 i've got 31 points in Stormcaller and im going for Tempest in Elemental Summoner to try it out.

This is basically so you have Raging Storm as a Rooting Electrify builder. Ice Shards as mega debuff after Raging Storm has applied 3stacks of Electrify.

Then i simply dumb charge into Static Flux and hit Lightning Strike from the Elemental Summoner line.

I will also be testing a nice Storminator combo at some point. The dominator has some hilarious spells and the Mogging capabilities it allows is very nice.

I was thinking something along the lines of http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...zssbo.Vx0x.MsM

The reduced CD on our pushback seems too good to pass up, especially against melee classes. I'm not so sure on how good the cast time reduction is on water spells, as I dont really know how often we cast them(especially with the new talent). The sprint seems like another must to me.

As of right now, I rarely use water spells. 2.5 second cast, 2.0 seconds with the feat, is just too long for them to be viable. I only use arctic blast as the first skill before an AOE nuke (arctic blast - forked lightning - lightning field) and icicle when raging storm is down.

When I'm a higher level and have more points to spend, I'm going to try to work out a water-based AOE nuke build involving the new feat but it will most likely not be as effective as lightning, TBH.

Stormcaller is complicated and requires concentration and mastery to effectively use. However, if you have that mastery it is one of the best trees without a doubt. My advice is to play some warfronts with an easier to understand soul, then once you have a feel for the mechanics of warfronts, study the soul calculator and come up with combos in your mind. Then, come up with a build you think will work and try it.

Trial and error has more applicability to Rift PvP than any other MMO I've played. Cheap respecs and multiple souls ftw.

Plane Touched

Building now makes the frost spells much more useful. If you can count on Icicle to crit with +50% damage then the cast time is worth it.

Also Building Storm gives a good reason to put Arctic Blast at the end of an AoE chain to boost the crit chance it can get out of Raging Storm.

The only thing I think Stormcaller really needs now is some tweaking to make Cloudburst good again. Either boost its damage and give it a cooldown or boost the bonus it gets from Electrified and make it consume Electrified.
    Last edited by Hecate's Lover; 02-16-2011 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hecate's Lover View Post
    Building now makes the frost spells much more useful. If you can count on Icicle to crit with +50% damage then the cast time is worth it.

Also Building Storm gives a good reason to put Arctic Blast at the end of an AoE chain to boost the crit chance it can get out of Raging Storm.

The only thing I think Stormcaller really needs now is some tweaking to make Cloudburst good again. Either boost its damage and give it a cooldown or boost the bonus it gets from Electrified and make it consume Electrified.
    That's too much weight to put on a chance to crit when you can do so much more damage faster with lightning. Also, Building Storm costs charge and the damage gained from Static Flux is more beneficial. If you really felt like it, I guess you could pop back and forth between the two, but now you're wasting time you could be spending spamming lightning field.

Iri
    Champion

Planning to test something like this. Pile up the slows, cc, and knockback, and add never getting caught while you have charge and a lot of instants, and I expect it to work well for me.

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0z...VGzprzss0R.xoV

CC,pet and the stormcaller damage as the main soul!

Basically you get the three trees to work together. Elementalist pet tanks, while your damage compliments each other since they both use air spells. You also have cc alongside the intellect 10% buff from dominator.
    Last edited by Zike; 02-17-2011 at 12:21 PM.

My main concern with the stormcaller atm is the new building storm ability. It feels like you never enough charge to use it + static flux(mainly because both prevent charge gain...). I tried a cold damage based build and it felt way subpar when compared to what Air SCs + elem have at their disposal.

Oh and on top of that it appears that the + crit damage benefit from building storm isn't stacking with tempest from elementalist.
    I noticed it while playing and someone else posted on the beta mage forums that they tested it and indeed they were not stacking.

Soulwalker

I'm running a SC/Warlock build right now while leveling with a tank and healer. Going for max AoE dps and the lock tree is there to help with the serious mana issues. Doubt this build would work at all solo, but with a group this has become amazingly fun. Tank gathers a bunch of mobs, I water debuff them then let loose with the air DPS. It really is a limited build as the single target and PvP abilities are lacking, but for what I need it's been perfect.

Red face

Stormcaller's right now are an absolute blast to play, but it also takes a lot of trial and error to get the spec right. I've spent close to 8 hours testing and re-testing and although it has helped, I'm still somewhat "lost" as to the best way to play it. I will include my findings so hopefully it can help others.

1) Stormcaller Kite Method - Storm / Warlock

8 pts are spent in warlock to gain both life: to mana and charge: to life, eliminating downtime. Stormcaller is specced into boosting hypothermia, surge roots, 30 second electrocutes (with root) and water focus. Opens with icy shard, stacks the dots then lightning surges to root the enemy, stack electrocute while the dots are ticking. The stormcaller then uses both water based instants (first increasing spell damage by 20 percents, otherwisew cloudburst. At this point dots should be cast on a second enemy. The hypothermia effect should wear off around the same time as your dots are being applied to the 2nd mob - both mobs should be headed your way. Once they are in melee range, both mobs should be water blasted (knockback + hypothermia re-applied).
    Last edited by Ignored; 02-18-2011 at 08:02 AM. Reason: not a complete post - will edit once I'm home

I was planning on leveling with this spec:

http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=1z...sRzR.Vt0x.xdGh

Looks like it would be good for AoE, coupled with radiant spores and phytogenics... would make for a pretty good spec IMO.

Now I am getting higher in level I am doing a mix of Storm / Elemental / Warlock. So far in Elemental I'm using the shield and Ice shield, plus the Mana recharge. When I have enough points I'm going to spec into lock for the life to mana, charge to life skills that I use in lock spec.

I normally PvP as a heavy Lock with some Chloro for single target damage dots, fear etc... I don't do a great deal of damage but survivability is ok. I've stayed away from Storm for PvP as it doesn't look very single target friendly. But for fun I tried it and have been having a blast, once you figure out how to stack your skills you can push out some serious damage. You just have to get the damage type combo's right, I have mana issues but those can be overcome.

My question is, how do I make it more 1v1 viable?

Soulwalker

- I'm only lvl 22 Storm/ele/dom at the moment -

In pvp I mostly do AoE rotation ( Arctic Blast at 75% slow, Forked Lightning + Lightning Field and adding Static Flux once the charge is high enough )

If someone get close to me, I use Electrocute ( with root ) to get some distance, Flash Freeze then Transmogrify, to be able to cast Icicles ( 75% slow ) without stress and then play with my prey

Stone Armor + Ice shield up for more viability.

I don't get a lots of kill, but I do get an great amount of damage/cc on a lots of peoples and my fellow guardians can finish them off easily since they can't run away.

+ Reply to Thread