+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nec/Lock/X vs. Pyro/Elem/X (PVE)

ask
    Rift Disciple

Default Nec/Lock/X vs. Pyro/Elem/X (PVE)

Hello all.. first time poster, long time reader....

So, without playing the beta, I have already purchased the game and am very excited to be coming over to a new game after 6+ years at EQ.

I have read a lot in the forums and have decided on starting with one of these 2 builds: Nec/Lock/X or Pyro/Elem/X, where X = survivability (Cholro/Dom depending on situation, I guess). This will be for grouping and soloing PvE. I have no desire the level super fast, but quickly nonetheless.

From what I have gathered these 2 builds are similar, and complementary, with 1 being DD and the other being AoE dps.

My question is: Which one will be more welcome in groups? Are the tanks taking on multiple targets at this time and AoE is more beneficial or are the zones/dungeons more friendly to single target "pulls"?

Thanks for your advice and see ya on open beta in a few.

In instances I saw usually pulls f 2-4 mobs at a time, so aoe should be useful.
    Javeline - Rogue of Bloodiron

http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=145142&dateline=12965  15411

Shadowlander

Was Nec supposed to be the AoE dps? Pyro has a bit, but Stormcaller is the route you want to take for AoE.

Pyro has an amazing synergy with Fireball, Flame Bolt, Cinderburst, and of course Heatwave. Huge single target burst.

Not sure what the Nec has, as I didn't spec over to it. I might log into Beta 7 just to test out a 32 Nec and a 32 Dom. I tried all the others. Pyro is my favorite, with Warlock being a close second.

I didn't care so much for elementalist primary though, so I figured Necro would be similar if not worse. I love pet classes, I just don't like them in Rift.
    Last edited by Decimatus; 02-15-2011 at 03:18 AM.

ask
    Rift Disciple

From what I read, if I read correctly, the nec pet, when speced properly, was AoE dps.

Also, I went with nec for the survivability over storm because of the leeches and FD. However, might Lock/Nec/X be better than Nec/Lock/X for AoE dps? I still don't understand the difference between which is the primary class vs. which has the most ponts in it.

Shadowlander

Your primary class is whichever has the most points in it. If you are running a close hybrid build, I suppose you base your "class" off of the mechanics you are building around.

I didn't see much if any AoE in the lock. They have some good survivability though. Life Drains, Stuns, Fears, and 2 spells that let saves their butts in a pinch.

I don't know if Necro would have higher survivability than the Stormcaller. Maybe in PvE with the FD. The Stormcaller has some decent damage and snare effects, and a few freeze effects that look promising. I didn't play with them much because the style doesn't really suit me.

Anyway, I just make some builds in the editor and try them out in game. Switching between roles in Rift is cheap and easy. You can have your cake and eat it too.

Quote Originally Posted by ask View Post
    Hello all.. first time poster, long time reader....

So, without playing the beta, I have already purchased the game and am very excited to be coming over to a new game after 6+ years at EQ.

I have read a lot in the forums and have decided on starting with one of these 2 builds: Nec/Lock/X or Pyro/Elem/X, where X = survivability (Cholro/Dom depending on situation, I guess). This will be for grouping and soloing PvE. I have no desire the level super fast, but quickly nonetheless.

From what I have gathered these 2 builds are similar, and complementary, with 1 being DD and the other being AoE dps.

My question is: Which one will be more welcome in groups? Are the tanks taking on multiple targets at this time and AoE is more beneficial or are the zones/dungeons more friendly to single target "pulls"?

Thanks for your advice and see ya on open beta in a few.
    If you want to dps as a pyro your best build will be pyro/archon/ele That spread nets you best pyro dps and raid buffs. This is of course for pve.

Necro/lock combo isn't bad for leveling but won't be worth anything at fifty. Dots do pathetic damage on all mage souls. If you want high end mage dps in pve raids and invasions pick some other combo.
    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=341143&dateline=12977  55360

If you go nec top tier Lich form, every 2 mins you get dmg boost as well as utilizing the pet accordingly shouldn't be that bad end game. You may not top the charts but topping isn't everything.

In Rift people might actually get to enjoy what they couldn't elsewhere.

ask
    Rift Disciple

Thanks for the advice guys. There are definately some things for me to consider.

I am not sure Archon is my play style. So Pyro/Archon/Ele might be out of the question. It seems the class is too dependent on buffing raid stats for others at the higher levels.

I will have to do some experimentating with the dots. I hadn't heard they were that bad. If that's the case, it's looking like Pyro/Elem/X might be my best bet.

Quote Originally Posted by pakes View Post
    If you go nec top tier Lich form, every 2 mins you get dmg boost as well as utilizing the pet accordingly shouldn't be that bad end game. You may not top the charts but topping isn't everything.

In Rift people might actually get to enjoy what they couldn't elsewhere.
    Oh agreed. I'm happy on my bard which doesn't top much of anything besides class with the most macros .
    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=341143&dateline=12977  55360

+ Reply to Thread